BPTRA MIDRANGE CHAMPIONSHIPS

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

COBPTR

BPTRA MIDRANGE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by COBPTR »

Match Report for the 2019 BPTRA Midrange Championships, August 3rd and 4th
Colorado Rifle Club

This weekend we held the first annual BPTRA Midrange Championships. We had 9 shooters signed up but unfortunately two of them couldn’t make it. One of our favorite shooters Klaus Schattleitner had to be taken to the ER the night before the competition. Klaus’s good friend and spotter Jason Porter was able to look after Klaus and get him home the next day. Klaus is ok, just in some pain but he will recover.
We had a pretty lax practice day. Only a couple of shooters got some settings and did some offhand practice. We got some work done on the range and in the pits. Thanks to Bryan and Scott for their help.
People rolled in and said hi and prepped for Saturday.

Day 1, Midrange Position Match or MR-POS

We had our shooters meeting under the cover and proceeded out to the 200yd line which was already blazing hot, as forecasted. Conditions were pretty mild during the morning but did speed up a little bit in the afternoon. If you weren’t on top of fouling control you weren’t going to have a good day. Barrels were too hot to touch and patches were coming out steaming!
At 200 yards Bryan and Hugh put on an offhand shooting clinic. Bryan shot a 90-1x and Hugh shot an 88.
We then went to the 300yd sitting position and Jack and Hugh, who shot together, ended up on top with the high scores. After 300 the heat really started getting tough on the shooters and their equipment. I personally didn’t stay on top of fouling control and suffered for it. I know it affected some other shooters as well. Conditions picked up a bit at 600 and made for some tricky shooting. Again, Bryan and Hugh ended the day like they started, on top! Bryan with a 90-1x and Hugh with an 85-1x. They managed their fouling control well and had some good spotting to boot. Both Bryan and Hugh handily walked away from the other competitors with the first two ever BPTRA Master Scores, in Position.

Day 2, Midrange Prone with the 500yd target or MR-500

Finally, we got to shoot like real men…laying down!
After the shooters meeting on Sunday we started out with a breeze right out of the gate. The wind was welcome to help cool us off but played hell on a few of our scores. Some shot well at 300 and for others it was the start of a bad day. The story was starting out good on Sunday for one of our new shooters Gary Baylis. Gary laid down in his 3rd ever BPTR match, and crushed it with a 99-1x. Gary doesn’t smile a ton but he looked like a Cheshire cat at the end of that relay. He has been learning about loading for BP and casting and has found a load that his ’74 Shiloh really likes. That score helped Gary turn in a 3rd overall on Sunday which was pretty neat to see. I was just behind Gary with a 97-4x and Bryan followed up with a 96-2x. Then we moved back to 500. Conditions really started to move us either side of 0. Judging the let offs and lack of, was the name of the game along with fouling control. I managed to come out on top by one X over Bryan with an 89-2x. Hugh was close behind with his 85-2x. Gary would have been right there with us but he took a miss accidentally setting his front trigger. The 500yd target is very punishing with its small scoring rings if you don’t stay in the center. On to 600 and we really had some wind moving now. I managed to stay on top again with an 88-2x and Bryan with an 84-1x. I think I had the better spotter in that deal. Scott, Lee and Gary also turned in some very respectable scores at 600 in the conditions, shooting in the mid and high 70’s.

Thanks to all the shooters who helped chip in, it made for a smooth match. We had some nice plaques, medals and distance awards for winners at the end of Sunday. I’m overwhelmed by the support and appreciation the BPTRA has received so far. People seem pretty happy to be a part of it and it is much appreciated.
Check out https://bptra.org/ for more updates and upcoming matches. I’ll also have a more detailed report and equipment surveys in the next issue of the BPC News.

Saturday Position Scores

1st Bryan Youngberg- 272-2x
2nd Hugh Wilson- 267-2x
3rd Jack Odor-249-4x
4th Robert Garibay-245-2x, High Spotter
5th Scott Stephenson- 233
6th Gary Baylis- 225
7th Lee Kleidon- 164

Sunday Prone Scores

1st Robert Garibay-274-8x
2nd Bryan Youngberg- 269-4x, High Spotter
3rd Gary Baylis- 247-3x
4th Hugh Wilson-239-3x
5th Scott Stephenson-229
6th Jack Odor- 210-3x
7th Lee Kleidon- 208

Aggregate Scores

1st Bryan Youngberg- 541-6x
2nd Robert Garibay- 519-10x, High Spotter
3rd Hugh Wilson- 506-5x
4th Gary Baylis- 472
5th Scott Stephenson-462
6th Jack Odor-459-8x
7th Lee Kleidon- 372

Robert Garibay
BPTRA
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Grizz61

Re: BPTRA MIDRANGE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by Grizz61 »

Great Match Robert,

For my first position match I was pretty happy. It was fun, and great time shooting with saome great shooters.

See you all next month.
Del

Post by Del »

Nice write-up Robert!! Sounds like you all had a good time with good competition. Congrats to Bryan!
Fortune Favors the Bold...
BFD

Post by BFD »

Youngberg seems to be hitting his stride of late. Could be we are all in some trouble, perhaps gor some time to come

Nice report, Robert.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Bryan has been doing very well for quite sometime. Last fall he won our first mid range match and then won it again in June. Think he has figured out fouling issues with those bore pigs he uses and larger diameter wiping rod. Watched him at both mid range matches and he has a good system going for him.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Wish I could have been there, it looks like it was super match. There were some really great scores shot! 267 and 272 are super scores in a position match! Wow!!

As the word gets out, the BPTRA will only continue to grow. Put one on your calender, you won't be sorry!