WY State 22 BPCRA Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

WY State 22 BPCRA Championship

Post by jackrabbit »

Smithmoor Friends and Shooters, 8/21/2019
This past Friday, August 16th, Smithmoor Range hosted the 2019 Wyoming State 22 BPCRA Silhouette Championship. Among the 35 entries were the current National Scope Champion (Ty Rice), the current National Iron Sight Champion (myself) the current National Women's Champion (Coralee Smith), multiple time past national champions (Jack Odor and Brad Rice) and a whole host of other really excellent rifleman. I am telling you this not to brag (although I have to admit it does make me pretty proud) but to help illustrate the magnitude of what follows. We are very proud to announce that the 2019 Wyoming State 22 BPCRA Championship was won by a very fine young man named Cole Sauer. Cole just so happens to be 12 years old. He stepped to the line and stood tall among the grown men and women. Don't think for a minute this was a fluke, we let Cole win, or that he is somehow super gifted. Although a talented young man, Cole rose the level of winning a state championship through hard work and determination. He started in A class, and through a lot of practice, goal setting, happiness and frustration, he now enjoyed the thrill of winning a state championship. Great shooting Cole! We are all so proud of you. Cole's win also reminds me of one of the reasons why I love our shooting sport. Everyone is equal when they step to the line. It doesn't matter age, financial standing, education, or past wins, at the beginning of the match we all start at the same spot. If you want to win, you have to earn it.
The news of Cole's win was pretty exciting, but there were a lot of other good things that happened as well. We had shooters come from a long ways to our humble range out on the prairie, as well as most of our usual guys. Alabama, Georgia, California, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania were all represented. It was warm and breezy and made for some challenging shooting. Momma Lorraine and Dad made some super boneless pork ribs for lunch, along with home made cole slaw, chocolate zucchini cake, and my favorite, Dad's Cowboy beans. Yahooo was it ever good! We also had a variety of donuts, banana bread, lemon blueberry bread, and apple muffins for a morning snack. Thank you for all of the wonderful food!
Dick Hennebry was our A class state champ for the last time with a 25. Dick will be moving to AA class with his iron sight rifle next match. He's a master shooter in scope, but re-learning to shoot irons has him starting all over. John Madden shot an excellent 29 to be the AA State Champion, just edging out Cole's brother Chase by one point. I suspect both these guys will be moving to AAA soon. Things really got exciting in AAA and Master. AAA saw a tie with 32's between Greg Bybee and Tom Reed. They shot off on turkeys and Tom killed all five with Greg dropping his last one. It was fun to watch! Great shooting Tom! He was awfully proud of his Allwayz Manufacturing Tattered Flag AA Wyoming State Champ plaque.
Master Class saw Cole and Coralee tying with 34's and a four way tie for second with 32's! Wow! Talk about some competitive shooting! Cole and Coralee shot off on chickens for the Overall Champion position. Coralee has been working hard and really shooting well lately. She smacked 6 chickens, which as we all know, doing that under the stress of a match is pretty impressive. They went for best of 5 on the first go around and tied, then went sudden death. They tied the first round, then the second, then Cole smacked a chicken and Coralee was unable to answer, leaving Cole with the High Overall and Coralee with Champion Master Class! For second place Brian Haffey, Mark Pachares, Bryan Youngberg, and Robert Kiernan all came to the chicken line and went best of five. It was settled in one round with Robert Kiernan coming out on top for 2nd place, Mark Pachares for 3rd, Brian Haffey for 4th, and Bryan Youngberg for 5th. I LOVE shootoffs! Great shooting everyone!
Our new grand master class had 5 entries and I am sure will be growing based on the shooting we saw in master class. We had a three way tie here too with 33's. We went best of 5 and I came out on top, Ty Rice earned second, and Jim Rodebaugh third. I think it makes the matches extra fun when they are this competitive and we have to settle it with shootoffs.
I hope all of our shooters understand that none of our efforts here at Smithmoor would be possible without all of the very generous donations and supporters we have. I thought we had a super bunch of awards and prizes for our winners that were donated by a great bunch of sponsors. Allwayz Manufacturing in Pine Bluffs (allwayzmfg.com) made the super tattered flags that the winners took home. I think they are a really cool, different kind of award that will hopefully hold a special place on these guy's award shelf. Montana Vintage Arms (montanavintagearms.com) is a premier maker of sights, scopes, actions, and a variety of other high quality products and is a fervent supporter of ours. Most of us know Buffalo Arms (buffaloarms.com) all too well as it is the go to place for almost anything we need for our shooting. They are a most generous sponsor and an excellent business to purchase from. Wyoming Sight Drifter (wyomingsightdrifter.com) is our ol' work horse that I can always depend on for anything we need for our matches. Hamburger for the meals, labor on the range, drifters for prizes, you name it and Steve helps out. For anyone that might not know about the sight drifters, check out his website. No range box or work bench should be without one. These guys were the big ones, but there were lots of others that all helped out too, and they are all appreciated just as much. Please remember them when you go to make purchases.
Smithmoor Range Sponsors:

• Schuetzen Powder
• Montana Vintage Arms
• Buffalo Arms Company
• Wyoming Sight Drifter
• Harold Forcum
• DZ Arms
• Crossno Gun Service
• Cat Shooting Sticks
• Redding Reloading Equipment
• Walters' Wads
• Green Mountain Barrels
• Treebone Carving
• The Single Shot Exchange
• Starline Brass
• SPG Sales
• Allwayz Manufacturing
• Pine Bluffs Auto Parts
• Western Powder
• RWS Ammo
• Wolfe Publishing
• Wolf's Western Traders
• Midway USA
• Skyline Center
• Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses
• JL Rodebaugh Master Bladesmith

Thank you to everyone that follows, sponsors, and comes to shoot our matches!
Keep your gun clean and your knife sharp, my friends,
Cody Smith

Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master 34-40
Jack Odor 4 10 8 9 31
Brad Rice6 9 9 8 32
Tyrell Rice 5 10 8 10 33 2nd
Jim Rodebaugh 4 10 10 9 33
Cody Smith 4 10 10 9 33 1st

Master 31-33
Brian Haffey 3 10 9 10 32 4th
Bill Acklin 4 8 9 8 29
Steve Anderson 5 9 9 6 29
Mark Pachares 3 10 9 10 32 3rd
Coralee Smith 6 10 8 10 34 1st
Cecil Sauer 2 10 9 10 31
Robert Garibay 0 9 9 10 28
Richard Bement 2 10 9 7 28
Kenny Wasserberger 1 10 8 9 28
Bryan Youngberg 4 10 9 9 32 5th
Gary Smith 3 10 8 8 31
Travis Purdum 3 8 6 7 24
Cole Sauer 5 10 10 9 34 MW
Robert Kiernan 5 10 9 8 32 2nd

AAA 26-30
Mike Venard 1 10 7 6 24
David Swenson 3 9 6 9 27 3rd
Tom Reed 5 10 7 10 32 1st
Joe Kapler 4 10 5 7 26 4th
Jeff Woodring 1 10 5 9 7 25
John Brooker 0 9 5 7 21
Greg Bybee 4 10 9 9 32 2nd
Sam Chopping 2 5 7 10 24

AA 21-25
John Madden 2 10 8 9 29 1st
Chase Sauer 1 10 8 9 28 2nd
David Heintz 3 7 6 6 22
Ethan Purdum 2 8 8 5 23

A 16-20
Brian Mallin 0 10 7 2 19 2nd
Keith Kelly 1 6 5 1 13
Dick Hennebry 2 6 8 9 25 1st
Jeff Dierkson 2 9 2 5 18
TexasMac

Re: WY State 22 BPCRA Championship

Post by TexasMac »

Cody,

I was at the .22BPCRA Whittington Nationals when the new Grand Master classificatioin was announced. I understood it was not going into effect until Jan 2020. Did I miss something?

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

We have been running the Grand Master class here in Carpenter for the last year. I am the match director and I will do as I like. :lol: :lol:
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

jackrabbit wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:54 pm We have been running the Grand Master class here in Carpenter for the last year. I am the match director and I will do as I like. :lol: :lol:
Fair enough. :lol:

BTW, my take from your comments and the scoring is that you obviously didn't use chicken count to determine the winner when there's a tie otherwise Tyrell Rice would have won 1st place in the Grand Master category. Is that also a prerogative of the match director to decide? :lol:

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I suppose it also is. I know there is some language in the NRA rules that talks about when to use reverse animal count, but it was not put into the 22 BPCRA rules. I really enjoy being in and watching shoot offs, so we do them anytime we can at our shoots. Sometimes if the weather is bad, the match ran late, or everyone is just tired we will do reverse animal count, but for any major match where we charge entry fees, shootoffs it is.
Thank you for the questions Wayne,
Cody
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

As far as Ty Rice's placing, we did have a three way tie and shot off on chickens. Jim Rodebaugh, myself, and Ty all shot 33's. We shot off all at the same time going for best of five. I hit 4, Ty shot 3, and I can't remember what Jim had, but it was less than 3.
DeadEye_Ty

Post by DeadEye_Ty »

Great write up Cody. It was pretty awesome what Cole did. He stood toe to toe with some of the best in this sport and he came out on top! Congrats to that young man!

It was a great match, that was competitive and fun! The Smith family worked hard and their efforts were greatly appreciated.

As for ties, I appreciate how Cody ran them. He held shootoffs, something that seems to be dying in the sport. The big-bore rules call for shootoffs unless the shooters agree to settle in another manner. Most match directors go with reverse animal count. Some make an exception for match winner, where they'll shootoff. To be honest I love shootoffs and they are great practice. It was a blast and look forward to the next time!

Ty Rice
SgtDog0311

Post by SgtDog0311 »

Cody, appreciate all you and your family do, including the great after-action reports. Great job recognizing the sponsors as well! Had a red-beer in my chilled Smithmoor glass last night. 2600 miles! I know Brian logged even more. Between your and Dick’s matches it was worth every mile.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I learned a long time ago, if not in actual attendance at a match, best to not make assumptions on how ties are broken. Opening the F..g Pie hole without knowing if shootoffs or reverse animal count are used makes you look like either a condescending Ass or a fool. :lol: Pick which ever one fits best, :oops: In Wyoming we do shoot offs even at the monthly matches. I shot my first grand master score in January this year at a monthly match 34/40. Lost The match Winner in a shoot off to Cody, I believe he had more chickens than I did, this gave me a chance to win the match. If we had done reverse animal count I wouldn’t have got to shoot off.

We have plenty of past and current National Champions attend the matches at Carpenter. So we must be doing something right, a quick look at the Results from Raton’s top 7 In BPCR or 22 BPCRA shows a lot of the same names/Faces. Even our 12 year old kids will kick your ass.

In target Rifle we don’t do Shoot offs, go by X count if still tied, highest score at furthest Distance, I won one such tie at 600 yards by 1 point and a X, in July at the Wyoming State Midrange Championship for 4th place. The 3 guys ahead of me all current or former National Champions, Cody Smith, Bryan Youngberg, Jack Oder. Shooting in Wyoming isn’t for pussys.

Our Women and kids will kick your ass, on any given Day.

The Lunger KW
Unrepentant Unapologetic
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:28 am Shooting in Wyoming isn’t for pussys.

Our Women and kids will kick your ass, on any given Day.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That ain't no kidding! It happened last Friday!
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

I am amazed at how many people shoot a sport and have no idea about the rules. The rules for the .22 BPCRA are posted on the .22BPCRA.org web site. For the edification of those uninformed about ties here is what it says:

6. In all 22 BPCRA silhouette matches, ties will be decided at the discretion of the match
director
/match sponsor. This will be either by shoot offs or reverse animal count. For class
awards, Master and AAA shooters will shoot off on chickens, AA shooters will shoot off on
turkeys, A shooters on rams and B shooters on pigs.

Guess Cody can do whatever the wants and he always has the best interest of the sport in mind. Hate reverse animal count!!!!
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Damn...you guys sound so ..friendly ??
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Cody,

Just wondering why you have not posted the scores on the official .22BPCRA forum?

Wayne
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Dick
We usually do the reverse animal count so we can have time to shoot fun side matches.
In my former life, we had shoot off pairs sprint to the line and whoever got there first started shooting...Now THAT was fun !

Considering everything, we'll probably just do reverse animal count for the two 40 round BPCR matches and 60 round BPCR 22 match.

Bring plenty of ammo Dick..we'll have a "Tactical Buffalo Rifle" stage at 300 meters and if we have time a Team VS Team speed shoot standing at 200 meters. We will have the teams picked . Yes, the hostage and terrorist targets at 300 meters are steel .
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

TexasMac wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:16 pm Cody,

Just wondering why you have not posted the scores on the official .22BPCRA forum?

Wayne
No particular reason other than I forgot my password and kind of quit frequenting it due to lack of anything new. Thank you for reminding me, Wayne, I will try to remember to get logged on over there again. Feel free to share any of my match writeups anywhere you like.
thanks, Cody