2019 WY State BPCR Championship

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

2019 WY State BPCR Championship

Post by jackrabbit »

WY State BPCR Championship Aug 17-18, 2019

Wind, I am learning is a word that has variable meanings. Smithmoor Range hosted the 2019 Wyoming State BPCR silhouette championships last weekend, the 17th and 18th of August and there was definitely some air flow that went on. To some folks from wooded, calmer areas, it may have been a heinous wind of terrible proportions, but to us westerners from out in the wide open spaces, it was just a stiff breeze. In my mind, I do not really find it irritating until it gets strong enough that the targets will not stay standing up, dirt blows into your ammo box, and you can't keep your patches from blowing away. Occasionally we had a target blow over, but there was very little inconvenience on the line. I suppose the glass can be half full or half empty, but I enjoyed the breezes we had as it really makes for a challenging match. It seems you either figure it out, or you don't, and as frustrating as it can when you don't figure it out, it is really satisfying to have some grasp of what to do in those conditions and shoot a good score. As you will see from the scoreboard, there were in fact some that figured it out and shot some really super scores. I was really proud of all of our shooters.
We were very honored to have several really great rifleman make the long trip to come shoot with us in addition to our regular crew that supports our matches and range. We had past national Champion Ty Rice come all the way from Alabama, Brian Mallin from Georgia, David Swenson from California, John Madden from Oklahoma, and Brian Haffey all the way from Pennsylvania! Wow! We also had a couple new to us shooters, Robert Kiernan and Sam Chopping from here in Wyoming. They fit in great and were a super addition to the matches. We absolutely had a super bunch of shooters this year and there were really a lot of fun! Thank you everyone for coming to shoot with us.
As always, the food was super. Mom and Dad did a cream can on Saturday and it was well received. They are a bit of a tradition here around Carpenter and have been served for harvest crews, 4th of July Celebrations, and brandings for many years. For those that don't know, they are sausage, cabbage, potatoes, corn, onion, and carrots steamed in a 10 gallon cream can. The sausage flavors the vegetables and they are quite good. Sunday was taco bar day and is one of my favorites. Make your own tacos with all the fixins'! Thanks a bunch Mom for all the great cooking!
For several years now we have ran a fifth station match during our regular silhouette match. This year we again did a smallest 5 shot group contest on 36" steel gongs at the ram line. There are two gongs with the left one serving as the sighter and then only five shots allowed to be fired at the right one. You are also not allowed to go back to the sighter after going for score. It is quite a trick to do well at this and I know I haven't gotten it figured out yet. The exciting part of the story is that we had some really great prizes for this side match. Montana Vintage Arms sent down a gift certificate for one of their 10 power scopes with the adjustable front mount! Wow! Is that ever awesome! It is a $975 value. Schuetzen powder also sent us a whole case of 1 1/2F Swiss powder! That was really awesome too! We broke the shooters in to two classes, Master/AAA and AA/A. The smallest aggregate measurement on the gongs in each class was the winner. We let the two winners pick which one of the prizes they wanted, and if they couldn't decide we were going to flip a coin. It turns out Brad Rice was the Master/AAA class winner with super score of 17 3/4" and he wanted the powder while David Heintz was the AA/A winner with a score of 40" and he wanted the scope. So it all worked out. Great shooting fellas!
Day One was pretty exciting on the silhouette line. As noted above, there were some very tricky winds. In A class, Greg Bybee shot an excellent 22 to be 1st. AA saw Thom Moore shoot another excellent score of 21 to be 1st. Then we had some really good shooting go on in AAA class. Shooting partners Jim Rodebaugh and Mark Pachares cleaned up! Mark shot a 27 to be 1st AAA and Jim shot an amazing 31 to be the Match Winner! Wow! that was some good shooting! If anybody doubts this, you obviously weren't there to witness the conditions. Master class was a pretty close race with myself barely edging out Jack Odor to be 1st. Jack and I were shooting partners and you can tell from the scoreboard who had the better spotter!
Day 2 began with a relatively cool morning and everyone grabbing their jackets. The day warmed up by mid morning and the tricky winds were back. A class saw John Brooker shoot a very good 23 to be 1st while John Madden shot an 18 from a sitting position to be 1st AA. Jeff Woodring, Robert Kiernan, and Dick Farmer all shot 28's and we had to have a shootoff to decide who 1st place day two was. They went best of 3 on chickens and Jeff Woodring came out on top. Good Job Jeff! Ty Rice drilled a 30 to be 1st master. With the directions of master spotter Jack Odor, I managed a 32 to be the Match Winner.
I thought we had some super prizes to award for our aggregate winners. In general, first place received an Allwayz Manufacturing tattered Wyoming flag, 2nd took home a Smithmoor RTIC water jug, 3rd received a Buffalo Arms Spotting board, 4th received a Smithmoor pub glass and a tin of SPG lube, while 5th took home a Smithmoor glass. Greg Bybee was State Champion A class with a 43, John Madden was State Champion AA with a 35, Jim Rodebaugh ended up State Champion AAA class with a 58, and Ty Rice was State Champion master class with a 56. There was a tie that was solved with shootoff for AA class aggregate between John Madden and Thom Moore. They shot on turkeys going best of 5 and John came out on top. I love shoot offs!! Yahoo, great shooting! I ended up with a 61 to be the Wyoming State Champion. Thank you to our generous sponsors the Champion received a Buffalo Arms bullet mould, $100 DZ Arms gift certificate, and a tin of SPG lube. The Wyoming State Shooting Association sends down hats for the champion iron sight and champion scope shooters. The high aggregate scope shooter was Jim Rodebaugh and he was quite pleased with his hat, DZ Arms gift certificate and Folklore/Skyline Center cleaning patches. Thank you to Buffalo Arms, DZ Arms, SPG Sales and Folklore for providing some super prizes!
Our Saturday evening awards ceremony was extra special because we raffled off the custom knife Jim Rodebaugh donated to the range. We us Jim's very generous donation for our largest money maker of the year. We sell 100 raffle tickets and then do a reverse raffle on the Saturday of the State Match. A reverse raffle works backwards of a regular raffle in that the very last ticket drawn is the winner, instead of the first. We drew 10 tickets at a time at various times throughout the day and marked those names off of the big board Coralee made. The suspense grew all day! Mom served rootbeer floats while we finalized the awards and prepared to draw. They sure hit the spot, let me tell you. Coralee put a video of drawing the last ten numbers on facebook and our website if you are interested, but the short story is 3rd place winning $100 was Charlie Butler, 2nd was Woody winning $250, and believe it or not, no funny business guaranteed, Jim Rodebaugh won the knife! Jim had purchased the ticket for a very close friend of his and was quite pleased to win it for his friend. A giant thank you to Jim for the donation and for everyone that purchased tickets. The money brought in goes a long ways to helping to pay for range maintenance and improvements. We also had 4 very nice donations that we thought were too good for door prizes, so we gave out tickets at sign in. Each prize had its own bucket and shooters could distribute tickets however they liked. Pam Crossno of Crossno Gun Service graciously donated two sets of 22 BPCR single targets, David Swenson of Swenson's Gun stocks donated a beautiful stock blank, and Cat's Shooting sticks sent an awesome oak drop tube setup. All the winners were very pleased with their items. Thank you to Pam Crossno, David Swenson and Gary Ladd!

Please keep the below sponsors in mind throughout the year as their very generous donations help keep our range and matches going. Thank you so much for all of their continued support!

• Schuetzen Powder
• Montana Vintage Arms
• Buffalo Arms Company
• Wyoming Sight Drifter
• Harold Forcum
• DZ Arms
• Crossno Gun Service
• Cat Shooting Sticks
• Redding Reloading Equipment
• Walters' Wads
• Green Mountain Barrels
• Treebone Carving
• The Single Shot Exchange
• Starline Brass
• SPG Sales
• Allwayz Manufacturing
• Pine Bluffs Auto Parts
• Western Powder
• RWS Ammo
• Wolfe Publishing
• Wolf's Western Traders
• Midway USA
• Skyline Center
• Decot Hy-Wyd Sport Glasses
• JL Rodebaugh Master Bladesmith

Coralee will be posting a bunch of pictures on facebook and our website (www.smithmoorrange.com) for anyone that is interested. Thank you to everyone for supporting our matches. All of you are truly the finest bunch of shooters!
Keep your gun clean and your knife sharp my friends,
Cody

Shooter Gong Day 1 & 2 Day One Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place and Two and Aggregate
Master
Jack Odor-Irons 4-23" 27 1/8" 3 9 8 8 28 1 8 6 5 20 48
Tyrell rice-Irons 10" 12 3/8" 3 9 7 7 26 2 9 10 9 30 1st 56 1st Agg
Brad Rice-Irons 7 1/4" 101/2" 3 10 4 9 26 3 10 8 8 29 55 2 Agg
Cody Smith-Irons 4-11 1/2" 13 3/4" 6 10 8 5 29 1st 4 10 10 8 32 MW 61 HOA
Bryan Youngberg-Scope 31 1/4" 20 1/4" 2 10 6 5 23 2 9 6 8 25 48

AAA
Mark Pachares-Scope 3-11" 24" 2 10 7 8 27 1st 2 9 7 4 22 49 4th
Jim Rodebaugh-Scope 4-10" 9 1/2" 5 10 9 7 31 MW 2 9 8 8 27 58 1st
Dan Womer-Iron 28" 4-10 3/8" 1 7 5 9 22 0 9 4 6 19
Dick Farmer-Iron --4-16 1/2" DNF 1 10 8 9 28
JD Farmer- Scope -- 4-11 3/4" DNF 3 9 5 6 23