Canada BP Championships August 2019

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Etienne Brule

Canada BP Championships August 2019

Post by Etienne Brule »

Here is the link to the Canada Black Powder Championships August 2019:

http://www.dcra.ca/results/2019/CFRC/a782.htm

Every August : nice bunch of guys with great fun each year !!

2 1/2 days at Connaught ranges, near Ottawa.

Shoot all day long: just one relay on earch firing line ! No waste of time...
BFD

Re: Canada BP Championships August 2019

Post by BFD »

This is target rifle, no?
BFD

Post by BFD »

This is target rifle, no?
Etienne Brule

Post by Etienne Brule »

BFD wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:06 pm This is target rifle, no?
This year, there was only target rifle.

Not enough inscriptions for the 2 other classes ( ML and Scope )

Gerald Bergeron
VBull

Post by VBull »

This is nearly identical to target rifle in the states. Rifle under 15lbs, cross sticks or wrist rest, all prone position. (all competitors shot with sticks this year) The biggest difference is how the match is shot. All competitors shoot on the same relay with 3 shooters pair firing on the same target and there is no coaching after the first shot hits paper. 5 sighter shots maximum after the first hit where the last sighter or 2 in reverse order can be converted to record. They have paid target pullers. Time limits are 75 minutes per relay.

First day: the 200 yard (sometimes metric) original black powder military rifle, 300 target rifle and 500 target rifle is shot before lunch. Lunch break is about 1 1/2 hours. If you stay on base the hot lunch is served in their mess hall. After lunch (2) 600's are shot with the best of the 2 counting for score.
This concludes the mid-range or shorts as they are called there. There are individual distance and aggregate awards along with a 3 man team award.

Day 2: All metric, a 700 meter and 800 meter match before lunch. (We start later on Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am) After lunch the 2nd 800 meter and (2) 900's where the best of the 2 are used for score. Awards are the same as for mid-range along with a grand aggregate for all distances.

A total of 10 matches are shot in 2 days! Individual and 3 man team awards are presented in the evening after the 2nd day at an on base club.

Day 3: (3) 900 meter matches that are "pick up" teams (we had 5 or 6 on each team this year) This is more of a fun match to get some time on 900 meters and get paired up with an experienced shooter. There are awards for team total score. The match concludes after the 900 meter matches.

This is a lot of shooting in 3 days. This was the 52nd year this match has been shot. (started in 1967) The last few years their numbers have remained somewhat level unlike what has occured elsewhere. Muzzle loaders and scoped rifles are welcome. Pre-registration is required so they can have the correct number of target pullers. Connaught range is a very busy place in August and September due to all the Cadets, "F" class, TR target rifle and military matches going on at the same time.

I have shot as a competitor on 3 continents and consider this match and facility my favorite. I've shot here since 1995 and only missed a couple because I had to attend Raton to qualify for the NRA team. This is a relaxed match for the serious shooter. Frank Monikowski
BFD

Post by BFD »

Frank, one day, I may make this match. I have yet to compete in Canada and this sounds like the match to make.

Thanks for the details.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice shooting Etienne. I hope to someday get up there to shoot that match
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Only 18 shooters?

So attendance isn’t just a NRA problem anymore. We need shooters to attend matches. Looks like are Creedmoor Nationals at Byers will be the Largest Long Range Match in North America this year.

Get out folks and shoot.

KW
The Lunger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
VBull

Post by VBull »

Kenny,
Their nationals have been up and down from around 40 shooters to fewer than 20 over the last 25 years I've attended. There are normally several more regular competitors that are at Bisley shooting muzzleloaders and could not be in 2 places. That would bring attendance up to the mid / upper 20's like a normal year. This was the lowest turnout by Americans (only 4) since I've shot there. It used to be mostly shooters from the U.S. with fewer Canadians. This year the top 3 places went to Canadians (I'm both U.S./Canada) another something that has not happened since I've been shooting there.
Every year I hear more shooters from the U.S. are going to attend. So far I have not seen them. I'll grant you, it's not an easy course of fire with the volume of shooting and no coaching. They have made minor tweaks in the event over the years but I feel they have it right since they have been doing it this way for 50+ years now. FM
VBull

Post by VBull »

Kenny,
Their nationals have been up and down from around 40 shooters to fewer than 20 over the last 25 years I've attended. There are normally several more regular competitors that are at Bisley shooting muzzleloaders and could not be in 2 places. That would bring attendance up to the mid / upper 20's like a normal year. This was the lowest turnout by Americans (only 4) since I've shot there. It used to be mostly shooters from the U.S. with fewer Canadians. This year the top 3 places went to Canadians (I'm both U.S./Canada) another something that has not happened since I've been shooting there.
Every year I hear more shooters from the U.S. are going to attend. So far I have not seen them. I'll grant you, it's not an easy course of fire with the volume of shooting and no coaching. They have made minor tweaks in the event over the years but I feel they have it right since they have been doing it this way for 50+ years now. FM
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Well, now that I know this exists, maybe next year!

Looks like it is relatively painless to bring a rifle and ammunition from the US to Canada.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Muzzleloaders are very easy to bring in, but if you built it and it doesn't have a serial number it does create confusion. I stamped BJD-1 on mine to get around that when going to Australia rather than go through the hoops when I brought in a flintlock (that was even more confusing, but cheaper).