BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Results

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

COBPTR

BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Results

Post by COBPTR »

2019 BPTRA CREEDMOOR NATIONALS
MATCH REPORT

We had 28 Rifleman on the line for the first annual BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals. Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Oklahoma, Minnesota and British Columbia were all represented. A good time was had by all and as usual at Colorado Rifle Club in Byers, the conditions played an important and prominent role in the match. We can always get windy days there but this weekend was exceptional. The sustained winds all weekend made it tough on shooters to get dialed in at distances of 800, 900 and 1000 yards. We had a good time, good fellowship and some good food on Saturday night.

Day 1
We probably started with winds at 10-15mph and they just increased throughout the day. I’m sure we had gusts close to 40mph while shooting. Most of it was a strong and switching tailwind that played hell on shooters elevations on target. Despite the conditions we had some great spotting and shooting at certain distances but it was very hard for a shooter to put together 3 strings in a row at the different yard lines. One shooter/spotter pair did though and that was Lucinda Bryan and Jimbo Terry. Shooting a Shiloh Sharps Tollofson, 45-100 rifle that ruled the day finishing 15 points ahead of the next competitor with a 240-1x. Followed by Randy Ellingrod with a 228-2x and myself with a 225-2x. Scores that didn’t feel great on the line until you looked at how vicious the conditions were on the other competitors on the scoreboard

Day 2
Our first relays at 800 were relatively mild but then the conditions came in again. Not as strong as the day before but they were tricky as could be. Judging the let-offS was the name of the game as well as holding elevation. We had anywhere from 15 minutes left to 2 minutes right on the same relay. Other competitors experienced much of the same. Just when we thought it couldn’t get worse one of our relays experienced two incredibly strong devils tails that managed to pick up spotters mats and throw them 10’s of feet down our 1000yd line. I think that’s one of the first times I’ve seen a StayPut shooting mat picked up off the ground and fly like that. Steve Baldwin finished with a 228-2x shooting with Ray Hanson on the spotting scope. Tied, shooter Chris Lippmann with spotter Hugh Wilson also shot a 228-2x with the 1000yd score being the tie breaker. Chris and Steve were only separated by 4 points with their score and that put Baldwin on top for Day 2 winner. Steve Fogler showed up super strong on Day 2 with a 222-3x. Kelly McNitt helped him stay on top of conditions as his spotter. The biggest highlight for me and I think at least one other person was seeing new Creedmoor shooter, Steve Anderson take home a high distance award with his amazing 93-3x at 800 yards.His spotter was Ed Himelhoch. I know Steve is already working this game over in his head on solutions to loads and rifles to see how we can improve at the further distances. Watch out when he does!
That evening we gave out more daily awards and had a catered BBQ dinner.

Shiloh Bingo and Sponsors
I did a little something different to spice up the prize give away of the very generously donated Shiloh Rifle by the Bryan Family. I built a bingo board of sorts that we mounted to a 1000yd target. Competitors weren’t sure why they were putting their names in squares until Lucinda Bryan laid down on the line with her rifle after the match was over. I have to admit I was a bit nervous about how this would play out until she put her first shot right on target through a competitor category in a square. Names almost filled the squares and the 5 left over were filled with special category awards that were yet to be determined. First Master, Expert, Marksman/Sharpshooter, High Spotter and low score were also 5 squares on the board. Her bullet went right through the First Expert square and at the end of Day 2 that person was Chris Lippmann. He was very excited to be the recipient of such a fine prize. Considering his distance driven and love of Shiloh Rifles this seemed to be a pretty good fit.
We had a great response from other sponsors as well for donations that were all given away to appreciative competitors Saturday night. Steve Baldwin, Bryan Youngberg, Steve Anderson, Jimbo Terry, MVA, Decot shooting glasses, Creedmoor Sports, Tom Rowe, SPG, Starline, Swiss Powder, Treebone Carving, Dan Zimmerman and Sulphur Gulch Gunsmithing. We thank you very much for your support.

Day 3
Our last day was all 1000yd shooting. All relays shot twice under lesser but still very tricky conditions. The morning air was cold and the ground was still wet from big thunderstorms the night before. We were going to see a 40 degree rise in temps that day. Even though the wind was less, up and downs were worse than ever as the thermals brought in hot air quickly to take shooters high and low all over the target. In one relay I missed the target low, shot a 10 and went over the target in 3 consecutive shots with barely a change on the elevation knob. By the end of the day we were back to 12-14 minutes of right on the sight to hit the target. We even had to head back to 0 for a couple of shots.
After firing was complete, competitors helped me take the range down and gather up gear. We had a nice final awards and goodbye. In the end, one shooter/spotter team was awarded a place on the Creedmoor Cup Team Trophy, those Rifleman were Steve Baldwin and his spotter Ray Hanson. They stayed consistent enough throughout the competition to take home the gold medals, plaques and team trophy.
Steve finished with a 617-6x. Chris Lippmann and his spotter Hugh Wilson finished 2nd with a 597-7x and Bryan Youngberg finished 3rd with his spotter Robert Garibay for a total of 578-5x.

Thanks to all the sponsors and competitors who helped me pull this together. Thank you to the Wyoming Crew of Bryan, Jimbo and Kenny who have been big supporters of this effort and helped me tremendously at the match as well. Thank you to Lucinda and Kirk Bryan. All the work and effort put toward this event was well worth it experiencing the kindness and appreciation that everyone showed me during and after the match. Black Powder Target Rifle Competition is alive, well and thriving in the BPTRA!

A full report of scores can be found on the link below. Just click to view or download the .pdf

https://bptra.org/entry-forms-%26-contact

Robert Garibay
BPTRA
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
COBPTR

Re: BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Results

Post by COBPTR »

Here is a link to a group photo of all the competitors on the range.

https://bptra.org/match-reports

Robert Garibay
BPTRA
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

It was a great match, and the legendary winds and mirage at Byers, did it's best to live the legend.
Looking forward to next year.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks very much Robert for all of the work putting on this excellent match. I really enjoyed myself and it was really nice to see everyone again.

I was shocked to see myself in the running after day 2 because it sure felt to me like we got beat up pretty badly by the wind. Winning the rifle sure didn't hurt either :D.

I will be in Big Timber tomorrow to thank the rest of the folks at Shiloh and spend that certificate of course.

Chris.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Great match, great prizes, and great write up, Robert. I'll be signing up for next year as soon as the registration is available.
The Bingo idea for the Shiloh was brilliant. It was as fair as it could be and was a great way to give that prize away; having Lucinda shoot to determine the winner! I'll be using my gift certificate from MVA to put a front sight on my new Shiloh long range rifle as it is finished up.
Grizz61

Post by Grizz61 »

Thanks Robert for the great match and write-up.

Special thanks to Lucinda Bryan, and the rest of the sponsors for all the great door prizes.

This was my first Creedmoor match and a learning experience. Got a lot of things to work on next year.
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

I have just returned from the first annual BPTRA Long Range Nationals. I met up with Steve Baldwin as my partner. We had a fine time. Byers is a world class range. Maybe the best there is from a competitors perspective at least. 20 firing points with great wind flags. The points are all level and finished off with a nice coat of crushed light colored granite. The 1K line is covered and by afternoon you are able to set up in the shade. The pits are the best I have ever seen. Completely enclosed, which enables the targets to remain on the frame at night or in the event of a rain. The conditions are the most demanding I have ever encountered day to day. There are no obstructions for the wind for 50 miles in any direction! The match was run in a very professional manner by Robert Garibay with various other volunteers all working together to make it a class act match. Robert and his crew has created the BPTRA at a time our sport desperately needs someone to step up to the plate. They have done just that and when you combine that with the facility you have a real winner! I certainly would encourage everyone to join the organization and pencil in the BPTRA Nationals for next year. Thanks Raymond Hanson
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

Robert, it was indeed a fun match and not my last to attend. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun and can't wait for the new chamber in my rifle! Wait, there goes that excuse. The brains behind the rifle give away is to be complimented, that was great! Let's do this more often.
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Del

Post by Del »

Great writeup Robert. You need to grow some mountains around your range and it would help greatly with the winds! Sounds like pretty tough shooting for sure! Congrats to Steve and Ray on their great shooting in difficult conditions!!
Fortune Favors the Bold...