Friendship October 18 - 20 2019

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Friendship October 18 - 20 2019

Post by Woody »

I'm starting to get depressed. October has come and gone and we only have one match left in November. Better load up and come on down. For those of you that missed it. This past weekend on Southern Indiana was about the best shooting weather we have seen all year. Not too hot, not too cold, just right. I wish I could remember to copy the .22 scores. 26 shooters with mild switching tail winds made it challenging. Two classes, Modern, and Traditional.

Modern Traditional

1st - John Hayes - 29 1st - Woody - 34
2nd - Sandra Pool - 28 2nd - Karen Chase - 33
3rd - Jack Roberts - 24 3rd - Don Guthrie - 33

Off note, this was Sandra's first match, (although it's obvious she has been practicing at the home range her husband Willie has built.) Don, Karen, and Woody were neck and neck all day. Woody dropped two rams early, but made up the difference on those short range chickens, (6). Karen was clean on the rams and pigs, and with 5 chickens had control until she cranked the sight the wrong way on her first two turkeys. (Ouch!). Don lost to Karen for 2nd by chicken count.

Saturday dawned a little frosty with the promise sun and mild winds again. It was also the annual military rifle money match. $5 extra entry, winner takes all. Nine entries, consisting of eight Trapdoors and one Peabody. Another nine iron sight shooters and 28 scope competitors made for a great day of competition. Also on tap was a free catered lunch for all.

When all was said and done Woody has been dethroned as the top Trapdoor shooter. Jim Radcliffe led the way with four chickens and a score of 20. Woody pushed him hard finishing with 19. Here are the rest of Saturdays results.

Iron Scope

Master
1st - Neil Eddington - 28 Mel Barnell - 27
2nd - Marshall Chase - 22 Mark Finney - 25
3rd - Jim Radcliffe - 20 (Military) Jim Shride - 23

AAA
1St - Russel Nelson - 25 Steve Farringer - 30
2nd - Sam Krawczyk - 21 Jim Lemon - 28
3rd - Woody - 19 (Military) Willie Pool - 26

AA

1st - Tracy Vanetta - 11 (Military) Joe Fortkamp - 29
2nd - Steve Callaway - 6 (Military) Doyle Clark - 25
3rd Bob Frame - 19

A/B

1st - Earl Lewis - 15 (Military) Norman Bates - 25
2nd - Keith Ux - 12 (Military)
3rd - Gary Truitt - 11

The combined match winner was Bob Wetzler - shooting a 30

Sunday dawned with no frost and the promise of another great day of shooting

37 shooters returned. And the results are-------------------

Iron Scope

Master

1st - Marshall Chase - 24 Jim Shride - 25
2nd - Mark Finney - 24
3rd Bob Johnson - 24

AAA

1st - Sam Krawczyk - 29 Willie Pool - 30
2nd - Woody - 27 Jason Bass - 27
3rd - Joe Hill - 24 Steve Farringer - 27

AA

1st - Joe Forkamp - 28
2nd - Doyle Clark - 26
3rd - Bob Frame - 20

A/B

1st - Earl Lewis - 19 Lora Parks - 23
2nd - Norman Bates - 18

See some of you in Georgia next week and then back to Friendship for the finale.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
John Bly

Re: Friendship October 18 - 20 2019

Post by John Bly »

Good write up Woody. Don't let getting beat by Jim Radcliffe bother you. He's a tough competitor no matter what he's shooting. He won't be in GA. If he was we would all be in trouble. I'm giving everyone a chance. I'm not practicing with the trapdoor. Some of my ammo is left over from 2 years ago and the rest is loaded with a new lot of powder.

I'm testing my low wall 22 this week to see how it does at 200 yards. I'll know more on Thurs evening.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Don't worry John, I'm happy for Jim. I also told him he was on his own now. Last year, I loaned him my sight micrometer to copy and my removable front sight to use for load development. Saturday morning, I provided him with my basic sight settings. I think I cut my own throat! :shock: I also made Bob Johnson a sight micrometer, but he wasn't ready yet for the challenge. I think nine competitors is the most we have had for the military challenge. I would love to see more. As you know, these rifles will shoot, I just hate that my aging eyes are making the sights harder to see see.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I think that I was the only tent camper, and I can confirm that it got a little chilly Saturday morning!
I heard furnaces fire up in several RV's around me, for the people living the life of luxury!
Actually, I was warm enough, until getting out of the sleeping bag.... But there was frost/ice on the tent, and windshield of the truck.

All in all, it was a great weekend! I even got my first 10 pin on Rams! But the Turkey pin still eludes me....
The wind was light, but MANY changes.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

You did the right thing Woody. Helping a fellow competitor is always right even if he beats you. It hurts most when you loan him your rifle and he beats you with it. Those are the times we remember the most so they must be the best.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"