2020 Shippensburg, PA BPCR

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

2020 Shippensburg, PA BPCR

Post by SSShooter »

Shippensburg BPCR Match 6/20/2020

Hello Sports Fans.

We held the June BPCR Match at the Shippensburg Fish & Game Club. And I got to tell ya, this new normal is great! The mirage pushed all our bullets towards the targets, the wind was just enough and coming from the right direction to keep the smoke away, and everyone shot 5 points higher that their classification! Ok, so much for the Fake News. I will be getting to how we all shot and how out of practice we were. But first I would like to get some Big Thank You’s out to people. First One goes to the Club, for stepping up and allowing us, along with all their other shooting sports to hold our matches. Great job there. Second thank you is to the Friday guys and girls that show up month after month and get the range into shape. Mowing, cutting weeds, getting out the targets, welding targets, etc. etc. etc. these matches would not be as good as they are without all of you doing these things. Third is to the Match directors and line caller. I did say Directors, as our usual Director Tim Hoke, could not attend, Bob Clipp stepped up and ran a stellar match. Bob, I think there is a future for you in Match directing. Frank called all three lines making the day better there. Finally, the shooters of BPCR. This is not only to the people that attended the match but to all of you in general. I must tell you that I get awesome responses from shooters when I send out these emails. All of you can give yourselves a pat on the back, but make sure your social distancing when you do. Now for the BIG excitement: you may soon be getting your hair cut at your local barber shop! So, let us move onto the shoot results.

We had 25 shooters that braved the impending doom of going out to shoot a match during a pandemic. As we gathered before the match there was a lot of waving to each other from 6’ away (I put that in just in case the GOV is reading my emails). I will begin with how the day started (this way I can get all my excuses in line, so my score does not look so bad). With all the storms the night before the morning was damp, overcast and there was a fog/haze lingering over the range and no wind to speak of. So, for anyone starting with the rams (of course I was included in this group) and turkeys there was some extreme problems with the visibility. These conditions continued into the second animal for most of us. Then as if someone threw a light switch, the sun comes out, the temps go up and guess what, your right, the mirage starts running. That was the story to the end of the match. Watch the wind, watch the mirage, blame the miss on your ammo that was sitting around since March. Despite all this stuff going on, George Harris shot well enough to take the Match winner in Irons with a score of 26. Ironically, Brian Chilson won the Match in scope with an identical score of 26. With the two top scores not breaking the 30 barrier you can tell that we were all brushing the dust off our techniques with the long layoff. Back to the irons, Bob Bloyer was right on Georges heels with a score of 25 and landed the 1st Masters title. 1st AAA/AA class went to Gil Bass with a 20. Karl Hovatter took 1st A class with a 17, winning on chicken count over Eric Huss who shot the same score, but one less chicken. In the Scope division, as mentioned above, Brian Chilson won the Match with a 26. Mark Chronister took the 1st AAA class with a score of 22. Kevin Cuccio grabbed the 1st AA/A class win with a score of 22 also. That about wraps it up for this month. As everyone rolled out, we all are looking forward to next months match. Thanks for listening.

Ralph

Name Chickens Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Iron Sights
MASTER CLASS
Bob Bloyer 2 8 7 8 25 1st Master
John Whitcomb 2 10 4 6 22
John Bly 1 6 9 5 21
AAA CLASS
Vince Dalessandro 1 9 3 3 16
AA CLASS
Match
George Harris SS 4 8 8 6 26
Winner
1st
Gil Bass SS 0 6 5 9 20
AAA/AA
Ralph Carruthers 0 8 3 4 15
RG Christenson SS 0 5 4 2 11
A CLASS
Karl Hovatter S 4 7 6 0 17 1st A
Eric Huss 3 7 3 4 17
Lynn Carruthers 1 5 6 1 13
Willi Zahn S 2 4 2 3 11
Dean Gumby SS 0 5 1 2 8

Scoped Rifles
MASTER CLASS
Brian Chilson 4 9 6 7 26
Mario DeAngelis 3 10 5 3 21
Unclassified
Alan Niederberger 0 6 0 0 6
AAA CLASS
Mark Chronister 1 9 6 6 22
Jay Brower 0 8 7 1 16
Bill Davis 0 6 1 8 15
Gordon Clefton SS 0 6 5 3 14
AA CLASS
Kevin Cuccio 3 8 6 5 22
Bob Clipp SS 1 8 5 6 20
Al Aubin 2 8 2 8 20
Rich Pauquette 2 7 8 DNF 17
John Bell 0 6 2 3 11
Glenn
SSShooter

Re: 2020 Shippensburg, PA BPCR

Post by SSShooter »

Read them and weep!
I am sitting here writing about the second BPCR match of the year held at Shippensburg Fish and Game and it is already July. What is up with that? I guess it fits right in with all the other weird stuff going on in the world. But not to get sidetracked, I did say we shot a BPCR Match. And it was a good one. We had 31 shooters show up. 19 used Iron sights and 12 shot with Scopes. Saturday morning started out Hot, and only got hotter and more humid. These conditions really got the mirage all jazzed up. It was switching back and forth then it would include a head wind that if you got out of synch with the conditions you got cooked and served. I was on the menu a few times. But thru all this mess, some of the shooters pulled out some good shooting. I think these guys were rolling chicken bones and reading tea leaves to have such good juju in these conditions. The best example was Brian Chilson who had the high score of the day, 33, which got him the Scope Match Winner label. His wife Debbie did a masterful job coaching him on the conditions. Vince Dalessandro shot a 27 to take the Match Winner label in Iron sights. His wife Michele also did a wonderful job spotting for him. She may get that new Jeep she wants if she keeps this up. There seems to be a theme going here as we had Terri spotting for her husband Gary and Bonnie was spotting for her husband Gill. My wife, who usually spots for me, got a break as George Harris pulled the bad duty of spotting for me. They are an awesome group of ladies who put up with us guys. Now back to the scores. In the Scope classes, Mario DeAngelis was just behind Brian with a score of 30. Mark Chronister grabbed the 1st AAA slot with a 25 and Gordon Clefton right behind with a 22. Allan Niederberger, an unclassified shooter this match, shot a nice score of 23, next match Alan will be thrown into AA with all the Rif Raf that hangs out there. Jay Brower and Bill Davis rounded out the AAA class shooting 18 and 17. Rich Pauquette took honors in AA/A with a 23 followed by John Bell taking second AA/A with a 20. Bob Kopper, Ken Moore, and Bob Clipp finished off the scope shooters putting up scores of 18, 13 and 12.

As mentioned above, Vince Dalessandro took the high award in Iron sights with a 27. Bob Bloyer and Tim Hoke were one shot off with a score of 26 each. John Whitcomb and John Bly closed out the Master class with scores of 24 and 21. AAA class finished off with Bruce Getgen and Gary Ireland shooting 16 and 13. Yours truly slid into 1st place AA with a 21. Great spotting George, Thanks. George Harris, Chris Christenson, Gill Bass and Jon Kugler followed me into the abyss with scores of 17, 16, 16 and 13. The real excitement came in the A class where Lynn Carruthers and Willie Zahn shot an identical score of 18. They also shot equal number of chickens and turkeys. The result being we held a sudden death shoot off at chickens, both contestants lined up at the chicken line and took aim at # 1 chicken. Shots went down range, both chickens still stood. Ok this could take a while??? Lynn took aim for the second time and drilled the chicken. Willie drew a bead on the bird and fired! Unfortunately, the bird still stood. This gave Lynn 1st place honors in A/B class with Willie taking second. Karl Hovatter, Clayton Grove, Eric Huss, Dean Gumby, and Dwight Hulstick finished out the A/B class with scores of 16, 14, 11, 11 and 11.

That wraps up the July match. We hope to see some of you next month in August for another 40-shot match. At this time, we are looking at holding the 60-shot Super shoot in September. I would like to throw a plug in for a match at a different range. On August 8th there will be a Long range BPTR match held at the Reade Range near Altoona Pa. It is an awesome match. If you have any questions about it contact me and I can fill you in. That is it for now, I must get back to loading for next month.

Please pass this on to anyone you know that is not on my emailing list and would be interested in seeing the results. Thanks.

Ralph and Lynn

Shippensburg BPCR Match JR/SR/SS 7/18/2020
Scope Rifles
MASTER CLASS
Brian Chilson 6 10 8 9 33 MW
Mario DeAngelis 5 8 8 9 30
Unclassified
Allan Niederberger S 0 9 7 7 23
AAA CLASS
Mark Chronister 3 10 6 6 25 1st AAA
Gordon Clefton SS 2 8 4 8 22 2nd AAA
Jay Brower 0 7 6 5 18
Bill Davis 0 9 4 4 17
AA CLASS
Rich Pauquette 1 6 8 8 23 1st AA/A
John Bell SS 3 7 5 5 20 2nd AA/A
Bob Kopper SS 0 8 5 5 18
Ken Moore S 2 7 1 3 13
Bob Clipp S 0 5 3 4 12

Irons
MASTER CLASS
Bob Bloyer 6 8 8 4 26 1st Mstr
John Whitcomb 2 10 5 7 24 2nd Mstr
John Bly S 2 10 5 4 21
AAA CLASS
Vince Dalessandro 5 9 7 6 27 MW
Tim Hoke 2 10 8 6 26 1st AAA
Bruce Getgen 0 7 4 5 16
Gary Ireland 2 7 1 3 13
AA CLASS
Ralph Carruthers 4 7 4 6 21 1st AA
George Harris SS 0 7 5 5 17 2nd AA
RG Christenson SS 4 7 3 2 16
Gil Bass SS 1 6 5 4 16
Jon Kugler 1 5 4 3 13
A CLASS
Lynn Carruthers 2 8 5 3 18 1st A/B
Willi Zahn 2 7 5 4 18
Karl Hovatter S 1 8 5 2 16
Clayton Grove S 1 5 4 4 14
Eric Huss S 2 7 1 1 11​
Dean Gumby SS 0 4 4 3 11
B Class
Dwight Hulstick S 2 5 2 2 11
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ok, so how to start this discussion of the August Shippensburg Fish & Game BPCR Match? Well the best way is by using the old saying: “Sometimes you’re the windshield and sometimes you’re the bug”! Anyone that had the first and second relays that Saturday morning ended up being “the bug”. Especially if you had the rams and turkeys. It was a dark overcast morning, with ominous skies. The wind was still, not a blade of grass was moving on the field. As the first relay let their first shots go down range, all the targets disappeared as the smoke hung like a fog bank for the entire relay. As stated, relay two struggled with this also. Relay three had less shooters, so they had a somewhat better, but not a perfect time seeing the animals. As luck would have it, I drew first relay Rams, so I became a big bug splat on the windshield that day. But there were shooters that could make it happen despite the bad visibility. Bob Bloyer got the Match Win in Irons with a nice score of 31. Bob’s highlight of the Match was shooting 5 chickens in a row on his first relay. Nice job. Next came the guys with a score of 22. Gary Ireland, Tim Hoke, and John Bly all had that score. Chickens count helped Gary grab the 1st AAA title as he hit the most chickens of the three, followed by Tim who got 2nd AAA. George Harris, score of 23, won 1st AA with Jon Kugler, score of 17, in for 2nd AA. Willie Zahn and Lynn Carruthers flipped around this month, with Willie coming out on top by one point, score of 18 vs 17, to capture the 1st A title and Lynn 2nd A.

In the scope category, Mario DeAngelis took Match Winner with a score of 30. Real nice shooting. In AAA Class Gordon Clefton took top honors with a score of 28. 10 Turkeys and 10 Rams will do that for you. Mark Chronister pulled into 2nd AAA with a score of 24. IN AA/A Class Bob Clipp was King of the Hill with a score of 19. Allan Niederberger finished out the AA/A Class by taking second with a score of 16.

All in all, it was another great day to be shooting at Ship. I want to let everyone know that next month, September 19th is our Super Shoot 60 shot Match. So, if you have not signed up for that contact Tim Hoke right away. As always, I want to Thank all of you that Help run the Matches and do the work on the range and show up to shoot. It is never a dull moment with all of you.

Ralph and Lynn

Open Sight Rifles
MASTER CLASS
Match
Bob Bloyer 6 10 8 7 31
Winner
John Bly S 2 8 6 6 22
AAA CLASS
Gary Ireland 5 7 6 4 22 1st AAA
Tim Hoke 3 9 5 5 22 2nd AAA
Vince Dalessandro 2 8 4 3 17
Bruce Getgen SS 1 7 4 1 13
AA CLASS
George Harris SS 1 7 7 8 23 1st AA
Jon Kugler 2 8 2 5 17 2nd AA
Gil Bass SS 2 9 1 5 17
Ralph Carruthers 2 5 5 3 15
RG Christenson SS 0 6 2 5 13
A CLASS
Willi Zahn 1 7 6 4 18 1st A/B
Lynn Carruthers 1 10 4 2 17 2nd A/B
Eric Huss S 3 5 4 4 16
Karl Hovatter S 3 8 1 2 14
Deon Gunst 0 6 2 3 11
B Class
Jeff Murphy 3 7 4 1 15
Scope Rifles
MASTER CLASS
Match
Mario DeAngelis S 3 10 8 9 30
Winner
AAA CLASS
Gordon Clefton SS 2 6 10 10 28 1st AAA
Mark Chronister 1 7 9 7 24 2nd AAA
Barry Harmon SS 3 8 6 6 23
Bill Davis 1 8 5 7 21
AA CLASS
Bob Clipp SS 3 6 3 7 19 1st AA/A
Bob Kopper SS 2 10 2 1 15
John Bell SS 1 7 4 1 13
Ken Moore S 2 5 2 3 12
A Class
Allan Niederberger S 1 7 1 7 16 2nd AA/A
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Hello Ladies and Gentleman;

Attached you will find the results of the 2020 Shippensburg Fish and Game BPCR Super Shoot. This is a special day for all of us as we get a chance to shoot for greatness, literally. The day itself started out cold and clear. We all thought it would warm up as the day went along, but from the number of shooters migrating out from under the roof to stand in sun between relays all day long told another story. Out on the course it did warm up enough to get the mirage cruising back and forth at a healthy clip. Throw in the strange wind that was happening now and then it made for a real sporty day. Let’s go and see who was able to handle the pressure to bring home the prizes.

In the Open Sight division, John Whitcomb took everyone to task with an outstanding score of 50 out of 60 to take the Match Winner Title. Of all the stick animals, the guy only missed 2 turkeys and ran the pigs and Rams. Add in the 7 chickens he hit and man’s bringing home the Gold. I kept trying to stand next to him during the match, hoping some good juju would rub off. It didn’t work. Bob Bloyer took 1st Master with a 35. Tim Hoke was 1st AAA with a 40, followed by Gary Ireland and Bruce Getgen with scores of 25 and 23. Gil Bass shot a really good score of 34 to win the AA class. Followed by Jon Kugler with a 29 and Me with a 24. I told ya John’s juju did not rub off. A Class was dominated by Lynn Carruthers with a 32. She also received the High Woman’s award for this match. Ok, she was the only woman, but she shot an awesome score so I’m ok with it. Karl Hovatter and Eric Huss followed Lynn, shooting score of 24 and 21 to take 2nd A and 3rd A. A Class was rounded out with Dean Gumby, Dave Eccles and Clayton Grove shooting scores of 19, 13 and 13 in order. Jeff Murphy won the 1st B class shooting a score of 26 followed by Bill Jenning as 2nd B with a score of 11.

In the Scope category, John Bly pulled in the Match Winner trophy with a score of 42. Really good shooting. Brian Chilson, still nursing some banged up bones, reeled in the 1st Master win with a score of 38. Mario DeAngelis received the 2nd Master award with a score of 33. Mark Chronister shot a score of 34 to win 1st AAA, followed closely by Gordon Clefton and Barry Harmon with score of 34 and 31 to win the 2nd AAA and 3rd AAA awards. Bill Davis, Jay Brower and Glenn Davis rounded out the rest of AAA class with scores of 29, 29 and 14 respectively. Bob Kopper just edged out Bob Clipp for the win in AA class. They both shot a score of 30, but Bob Kopper hit one more chicken to take the 1st AA award. Bob Clip took second and Rich Pauquette finished with a 26 for the 3rd AA award. John Bell closed out the AA Class with a score of 22. Allan Niederberger won the 1st A class with a 30, followed by Frank Dellatorre with a 25 to take the 2nd A class award. When the Match finished, all 31 shooters and their spotters gathered for the awards ceremony. I have to say that even during such a difficult year that businesses are having, we had a fabulous prize table. Every shooter and spotter present received a prize. There are two points that I want to make here at the end. First, all the people that received prizes, please send a letter or email off to the business that donated your prize. It is the small things like an email that make it easier for us to continue receiving these gifts. Second, please give Tim Hoke, our Match director, some much needed praise. He does a lot of the work to get the matches going, organize the setters and get prizes, etc. On top of handling all of our dumb questions during the matches. Next time you see Tim, give him a high five, fist pump or an at-a-boy. Just don’t pinch his butt, he’s weird about that. Well that wraps it up for the September Match. Looking forward to all of you showing up for the October 40 shot match, which will be the last match of the season. Thank you all.

Ralph and Lynn Carruthers

Open Sight Rifles
MASTER CLASS
John Whitcomb 7 15 13 15 50 Match Winner
Bob Bloyer 4 15 6 10 35 1st Master
AAA CLASS
Tim Hoke 4 14 9 13 40 1st AAA
Gary Ireland 3 7 8 7 25 2nd AAA
Bruce Getgen SS 0 10 11 2 23 3rd AAA
AA CLASS
Gil Bass SS 4 14 8 8 34 1st AA
Jon Kugler 3 9 8 9 29 2nd AA
Ralph Carruthers 3 6 8 7 24 3rd AA
A CLASS
Lynn Carruthers 4 9 8 11 32 1st A
Karl Hovatter S 3 9 8 4 24 2nd A
Eric Huss S 1 7 5 8 21 3rd A
Dean Gumby SS 4 8 3 4 19
Dave Eccles S 1 3 8 1 13
Clayton Grove SS 1 1 5 6 13
B Class
Jeff Murphy 4 11 8 3 26 1st B​
Bill Jenning 2 2 3 4 11 2nd B

Scope Rifles
MASTER CLASS
Brian Chilson S 9 14 7 8 38 1st
Mario DeAngelis S 7 9 11 6 33
Master
AAA CLASS
John Bly SS 5 12 13 12 42 Match Winner
Mark Chronister 3 14 6 11 34 1st AAA
Gordon Clefton SS 2 9 7 13 31 2nd AAA
Barry Harmon SS 6 7 4 13 30 3rd AAA
Bill Davis SS 3 12 7 7 29
Jay Brower 2 10 9 8 29
Glenn Davis SS 3 8 3 0 14
AA CLASS
Bob Kopper SS 4 13 5 8 30 1st AA
Bob Clipp SS 3 9 8 10 30 2nd AA
Rich Pauquette 0 9 10 7 26 3rd AA
John Bell SS 1 9 9 3 22
A Class
Allan Niederberger S 1 11 7 11 30 1st A
Frank Dellatorre S 1 11 10 3 25 2nd A
Glenn
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

It was a cold crisp day that met us at the last BPCR match of the year at Shippensburg Fish and Game. There was frost across the fields. It was the start of the fall weather. And the end of our shooting year at Shippensburg. As most of us said ”A day this nice, it’s going to be tough to score well”. And that was what happened. Bright sun, cool air, mirage and crazy wind directions all made for a final Match to
remember, sort of.....
John Whitcomb took the Iron Sight Match winner pin with a score of 29. John seemed to be able to dodge the demons on the pig line as he was the only shooter to hit all 10 animals. The demons had fun with a lot of us on the pigs. Usually went like this: hold steady and hit the pig square, next shot hold
steady and go under the belly, next shot hold steady and go over his back and conditions looked the same on all three shots? Bob Bloyer had troubles on the pigs but did very well on the other two stick animals and totally romped on the chickens, getting 6, which got him the 1st Master/AAA award with a
27. George Harris shot a score of 23, beating Tim Hoke who shot the same score, but George bested Tim on chicken count.
AA was a mess with Ralph Carruthers, Jon Kugler and Gill Bass all getting kicked in the face by the Evil PigArmy. Chris Christenson seemed to have the porkers figured out enough to get 7 of them. But in the end Ralph and Gill ended tied with a score of 22 and Ralph got 1st AA thru chicken count. Jon shot a score of 21.
Dean Gumby is riding a hot streak as he won 1st A/B C lass with a 23. He is having pork as he shot 9 of those buggers. Eric Huss is making a strong showing taking the 2 Nd A/B honors with an 18. Lynn Carruthers had a score of 15. Karl Hovatter and Willie tied with a score of 14. Jay Haydon shot an 11. It was great seeing Jay and his wife Barb as they made the trip up from the south to shoot with us. Bill Jennings rounded out the A/B Class with a score of 9.
Mario DeAngles shot a winning score of 24 to win the Scope Match Winner pin. He shot well across the course which got him the win. Michele D'Alessandro lit up the shoot pulling down the 1st Master pin with a score of 20. Exceptional seeing as it was her first match back, shooting a new rifle and first time in scope class so she was going in unclassified. Awesome job shooting and a lot of help from her spotter, Vince D'Alessandro. Vince closed out the Master/Unclassified Class with a score of 17. He had the same story as Michele, new rifle, new scope, new Class. Michele just shot better.
Bill Davis ended the year well winning AAA Class with a score of 21. Gordon Clefton was following Bill with a 17. He conquered the EPA (Evil Pig Army) hitting all 10. Jay Brower came in next with a score of 16. Mark Chronister, shooting a different gun again, scored a 15.
Bob Clipp also whipped the EPA (Evil Pig Army) hitting all 10 pigs and winning the 1st place in AA/A Class. Allan Niederberger took 2 nd AA/A with a score of 17. Ken Moore shot a 13, Bob Kopper shot a n 8 and John Bell finished off the scope classes with a score of 8.
Well it’s the end of another shooting season so take a break, clean the guns real good and start casting for next season. The first Match is right around the corner.

Open Sight Rifles
MASTER CLASS
John Whitcomb 3 10 7 9 29 Match Winner
Bob Bloyer 6 5 9 7 27 1st
Master/AAA
AAA CLASS
George Harris SS 4 7 7 5 23 1st AAA
Tim Hoke 2 9 7 5 23
AA CLASS
Ralph Carruthers 2 5 6 9 22 1st AA
Gill Bass SS 1 5 9 7 22
Jon Kugler 1 5 6 9 21