Reade Range long range BPTR

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

John Bly

Reade Range long range BPTR

Post by John Bly »

The match is over. There were a record number of participants probably due to the shortage of events to attend this year. Several competitors had not shot long range in over 10 years and I had not shot it in 5 years. Friday was sight in and practice day. It was largely overcast with threats of thunderstorms but we got almost all the shooting in with no rain. When I was in the pits for 1000 yds we had a few sprinkles but they had a downpour at the firing line and had to take shelter. There was a short delay before shooting resumed. This shows how conditions can be very different over the 1000 yd distance. When we returned to the firing line there were quite a few puddles of water around.

The range was in good condition. The Marines had been there for about 2 weeks right before us and they do a fantastic clean up when they leave. It was decided to start early on Sat to avoid the chance of rain and the heat but the range was fogged in until well after 9 AM. We shot in pairs with one shooting and the other in the pits scoring. We had no spotter/coach. We were entirely on our own to read and interpret conditions and get the shot off before it changed. Quite a few shooters shot well at 800 with many scores of 90 or better. Mine were all in the black except for my last shot which was a 7 at 11 o'clock for a score of 91. Conditions at 900 got tricky and many shooters shot better at 1000 than 900. I kept shooting from one side of the target to the other with only one in the black and it was a 9. I had one miss off the side for a score of 60

1000 yds was better but I had two dirt diggers early on. I came up and shot a 7, several 10's and 8's and finished with a 66 for a total of 217. I was shooting a Shiloh 40/70 SS with a 14" twist with Baco brass with a 440 Grain bullet with 67 grains of Swiss 1 1/2. One other competitor was shooting a 40/70 SS. Everyone else was shooting a 45 of some sort.

Jim Ratcliffe from Ohio was the winner shooting a C Sharps 45 x 2.6. John Whitcomb from Virginia was 2nd shooting a Pedersoli 45/70. Frank Monikowski was 3rd and I believe he was shooting 45/90. I think he said he lives in NY now. I'm sorry I didn't get the scores. We'll try to get them posted as soon as possible.

This match was a great success and shows that we can put on a decent long range match here in the East. Plan on joining us next year and we can make this match grow.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
John Bly

Re: Reade Range long range BPTR

Post by John Bly »

Whoops! John Whitcomb is from Maryland. He was shooting with VA folks that's what made me wrong.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
hepburn

Post by hepburn »

Too bad it is just 1 day match. It’s a nice range & Barb & I have attended in past. The costs involved for traveling 350 Mi make for an expensive 30 shot match. Since losing access to our MI Camp Grayling Range there are only 3 ranges east of Miss. river conducting LR—-BPTR. Lodi,Atterbury, & Reades. Have heard others (ourselves inc.) express interest if more than i day. There are less & less places to do this discipline—we have to improve attendance. If you have ever been involved with running matches of any kind you hear people say they want more than one day ! Reades could become THE LR of east—-please consider 2 days. Ron & Barb Walters
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ron - not up to us. The folks that own & operate the range have said in the past that we are lucky to still have a match, considering the low numbers until this year. With the decent turnout we can argue for a 2nd day and, hopefully, at some point a 2nd match. And no virus to make things difficult.
Glenn