2020 BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Match Report

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

COBPTR

2020 BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Match Report

Post by COBPTR »

2020 BPTRA CREEDMOOR NATIONALS MATCH REPORT

Practice Day started off relatively nice but a little warm as forecasted. I had only built 3 practice targets out of muscle memory but after seeing the camp spots full over on the Schuetzen range I had to scramble to build some more targets the night before. We started with 20+ competitors for the organized practice and others showed up on the line throughout the day to get some 1000yd settings. The first two days of the match would be 10 shots for score at 800, 900 and 1000 yards on Friday and Saturday. Sunday was 15 shots for score x2 at 1000 yards. A total of 900 points would be possible.

Day 1 turned out to be a banner day at Byers. Temps started out cool and we ended up in the high 80’s. Winds were relatively calm all day. Switchy and tricky for some of us but we were waiting for the switch to turn on, but it never really did. Second time ever Creedmoor shooter Brian Haffey turned in an excellent 232-2x to win High Marksmen/Sharpshooter with first time Creedmoor shooter Dick Hennebry behind the scope. Very good shooting and spotting by both. They were followed by first time EVER black powder shooter Tim Kelley in 2nd and Loyce Ellingrod in 3rd who also received High Woman. I should also let you know that Tim Kelley is Dave Gullo’s nephew. It was great to have him out and I think the BP hook was set pretty hard. He asked me “when’s the next match” within minutes of the competition ending on Sunday.
In Expert class Blair Svihra finished 1st with his 243-3x with Don Johnson spotting. Steve Farringer and Eddie Hayes finished 2nd and 3rd in Expert class. High Master was Hugh Wilson with the man, the myth the legend Klaus Schattleitner behind the scope. Hugh insists his 45-70 with 68 grains of Swiss shoots better than his 45-90 at longrange and turns out he was right. 2nd Master was Don Johnson and 3rd Master was Bryan Youngberg.
In the overall Steve Baldwin finished in 3rd with Ray Hanson spotting. Randy Ellingrod 2nd with his Wife Loyce spotting him a great score of 257-3x. We were hoping a new range would throw Dave Gullo and John Venhous off their game a bit, but with the lack of conditions and great spotting and shooting, John spotted Dave into an incredible 278-4x on Day 1.

Day 2 was more of the same. Locals were confused as to where the winds were, more on that later…
Brian Haffey kept the lead in MK/SS and still followed by Loyce in 2nd place. Vern Fauss and Tim Kelley got their feet underneath them after Day 1 and Tim spotted Vern into 3rd MK/SS. Tim was just a couple of points behind.
In Expert Class Steve Farringer returned to form with Kenny behind the spotting scope to shoot a huge 259-2x. A score that would likely win a lot of matches if it weren’t for the depth of excellent shooters we had in attendance. Lucinda Bryan also worked out the kinks from Day 1 to beat her last year high score by 8 points to shoot a 248-2x. Blair stayed surprisingly consistent with the same exact score from Day 1 to win 3rd Expert with a 243-3x.
High Master was Don Johnson followed by Bryan Youngberg and Ray Hanson. These guys shot in the high 250’s and 260’s and it still wasn’t enough to place in the top 3. Dave Gullo again shot an incredible 275-4x when there was points to be taken in the mild conditions. Randy put up an even better score on Day 2 with his 266-5x, followed closely by Baldwin with his 264-3x. Truly incredible scores, even in mild but tricky conditions.

At the end of the Day 2 the plan was to have Lucinda shoot at a 1000yd target with competitor names on it to decide who won the Shiloh rifle, just like last year. But the BPTRA and Shiloh had been planning a surprise in the background. Right before we setup it was announced that Jimbo Terry would be the shooter. Everyone was a little surprised, especially Jimbo!
Literally as Jimbo sat down after a very calm day of competition shooting, Mother Nature found “the switch” and an angled headwind came in at about 25-30mph just in time for the prize shoot. The brush fire that must have started a few miles up the road and smoke that came in also made things a little sporty. After not shooting for over 2 years, and off a bench, Jimbo managed to hit the fairly small prize target I put up at 1000yds in 6 shots. Jack Odor had the lucky bullet hole through his name and was the winner of the Shiloh rifle. Many thanks to the Bryan family for being so generous the past 2 years with their donation and main sponsorship. They are big supporters of the BPTRA and target rifle. Thank You!

Luckily the winds calmed down a bit and competitors gathered together for a BBQ Dinner, awards and prizes. We had some very generous donations from Swiss Powder, Bryan Youngberg, Steve Baldwin, Wyoming Sight Drifters, Richard Wood, Graf & Sons, Jimbo Terry, Buffalo Arms, Creedmoor Sports, MVA and SPG. Thank you to everyone who supported our shoot with some very generous donations.

Day 3 I finally got to use my “Welcome to Byers” line. Competitors woke up to 25-40mph winds for the first couple of relays. It was also around 40 degrees and drizzling. It made for some bone chilling, eye watering, nose running conditions. The brutal switching headwind for those first 2-3 relays was really miserable. Enough that a couple of competitors decided not to shoot. Day 3 was unique in that we shot 15 shots for score twice, both times at 1000. It calmed down for a bit the next couple of relays, only to crank up even worse for the last relay of the day. At one point I saw a wall of wind coming down the range road from a 1000yds and had to yell to competitors to “hold on to their sh## “as it blew over chairs, clipboards, shooting mats and anything else not anchored down.
Tim Kelley took High MK/SS in the conditions and adapting very quick to the new shooting discipline. Steve Farringer again held down High Expert and I managed to pull out High Master with Bryan spotting. Gullo, Baldwin and Venhous took 1st, 2nd and 3rd OA for the day.

Final Results
Dave Gullo proved too tough to catch and ended up with an unbelievable 809-9x in the aggregate. Steve Baldwin 2nd with a 764-7x and Hugh Wilson 3rd overall shooting a 705-12x.
My favorite moment of the competition was handing Hugh his 3rd OA plaque and medal. Well deserved and Hugh and his Spotter Klaus are two of the people I look most forward to seeing at a match. They have been very encouraging and kind to me over the years. A close 2nd to that was seeing Brian Haffey do so well. He finished out High MK/SS at the end of 3 days.
Our new friend from Indiana, Steve Farringer took High Expert in the aggregate. I did make a mistake in my tally at the end of Day 3 that was not caught by myself or during the protest period as scores were tallied. This kind of shuffles the Master Class winners but it is correct on the scores posted in the link below. I apologize for missing it.

Final thanks to everyone for their help during the competition. The shooters made it easy and helped when needed. Special thanks to Bryan Youngberg, Kenny, Jimbo and Lucinda for their help around the range and keeping me straight. We were also very fortunate to have Eron Ahmer running the line. Those of you who know Eron know that he was a top and fierce BP competitor for many years. He is now a top High Power competitor and on the US National Team. He kept the line running smooth and things very organized. Thanks to David Wallinger for leading us in the Pledge of Allegiance in the morning followed by the National Anthem.
Thanks to our sponsors as well. Your donations and support are very much appreciated.
My Wife Michelle was also a big part of the success of this match behind the scenes. Helping with scores and mainly just putting up with me for the past few months in preparation for this match.
Lastly, I want to thank the competitors. The MOST important part of the match. I’m very grateful for your attendance, travel and support. You made it a successful match and made it a very rewarding experience for me!

Scores can be found at https://bptra.org/match-scores you should be able to download the .pdf by clicking just above the scores to get a bigger version to read.

In a couple of days look for event pics and equipment lists on the following link https://bptra.org/match-reports

See you on the line,

Robert Garibay
BPTRA
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Don McDowell

Re: 2020 BPTRA Creedmoor Nationals Match Report

Post by Don McDowell »

Robert it was a very good match, and a big tip of the hat to you for the job you did putting it all together.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Grizz61

Post by Grizz61 »

Robert, Great match and great time had by all I think.

CRC never fails to supply a great adventure and learning experience. Learned a lot at the match a lot of good shooters and a ton of experience and very free with the advice.

Hope to do better next year, did better this year then last!

Keep up the good work.
Grizz61

Post by Grizz61 »

Robert, Great match and great time had by all I think.

CRC never fails to supply a great adventure and learning experience. Learned a lot at the match a lot of good shooters and a ton of experience and very free with the advice.

Hope to do better next year, did better this year then last!

Keep up the good work.
COBPTR

Post by COBPTR »

Thanks guys.
Another interesting thing I forgot to mention was that myself and at least a few other shooters I asked had to come up 12-16 minutes on our elevation settings at 1000yd on Sunday. Between the cold dense air and ripping headwind that is what it took. I know I have had to adjust 5 minutes before for the cold morning vs hot afternoon scenario, but 15 minutes seemed pretty incredible to me. That is 12.5' higher we had to adjust to hit at 1000 over our "normal" trajectory.

Robert
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Robert,a very well run,well organized match.many thanks for allowing me to be a part of it. I had a great time.
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

Robert Thanks for putting on a fine quality match. Thanks until better paid! Ray Hanson
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

Congratulations to Hugh on coming in third! Could not been more pleased unless it happened to have been me! Margo and I got hooked up to the trailer and did not want to take it back over to the range so we pulled out a bit early. Glad to hear you had a good run. Also too Klaus for doing his part in your success. Take care Raymond