Mifflin County PA Sportsmen Assoc. Fall BPCR Gong Shoot

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

Mifflin County PA Sportsmen Assoc. Fall BPCR Gong Shoot

Post by SSShooter »

As my wife and I motored into the Mifflin Country Sportsmens Assoc long range for the BPCR Gong shoot I was feeling optimistic as the day was clear, calm and cool. I thought back to other matches we had here over the last few years. There were matches that had fog, rain, snow and one with enough wind that I almost maxed out the windage on my rear sight (I was up to 20 minutes of windage being used that day).
The Mifflin County Range is a great facility with a covered shooting platform and targets running out to over 1000 yds going up the side of Jacks Mountain. And at this time of year the view is awe inspiring with the multicolored foliage surrounding the range.
The Match director, Bruce Getgen, had the targets all set and ready for the shoot.
The format for this shoot is as follows: There are two targets at each distance 285 yds, 400 yds, 500 yds and 700yds and one target at 1040 yds. You only get 10 shots per target.
This next part is big: No sighters allowed. You go in cold at each target. This really puts the pressure on the shooter and spotter to make the first shot count. The two Offhand targets at 285 yds are a 24” wide x 15” tall rectangle.
The next two targets at 400 yds and are a 23” wide x 36” long rectangle.
Targets number three are at 500yds and measure 32” diameter circles .
Next up are the two 700 yd targets which are shaped like our state's keystone symbol. They are approx.. 34” at their widest x 45” tall.
Then there is the single 1040yd target which is an approx 4’ diameter.
All of these are painted black.
When the smoke cleared, the dust settled and the bullets stopped flying the scores where counted and the results ended up as follows:
Tim Hoke won the match with a score of 35. Really good shooting and a lot of help from his spotter Bob Clipp.
Bob Kopper pulled into second place with a 33.
Hot on Bob’s heels were three shooters, Lynn Carruthers, Dean Gumby and Gordon Clefton, all with a score of 32. Lynn Carruthers took third place by winning two tie breakers. She and Dean Gumby (who was shooting lights out during the match) had three hits at 1045 yd and Gordon Clefton did not get as many. Then Lynn had more hits than Dean on the offhand target and was awarded third place.
Dean got fourth and Gordon fifth place. Bob Clipp took 6th place with a score of 30. Ralph Carruthers ranked 7th with a 29. Mark Chronister, and first timers Gary Ireland and Jeff Murphy shot a 28. Barry Harmon stood out with a score of 27. Kermit Hoke shot a score of 21 as did Randy Doan, who was shooting his first match ever with a BPCR rifle. He was using Bruce Getgen’s rifle for this match. Someone should tell him that if you are
borrowing a rifle from a guy to shoot the match it is not nice to shoot a higher score than rifles owner did. Randy’s other accomplishment was that he had 6 hits on the 1045 yd target, which was the high hit count for the day. Bruce Getgen got 18 hits and Grant Rogers nailed 15 hits on the various targets.
It turned out to be a very good day as all of us enjoyed shooting the match and making fun of each other. I wanted to thank Bruce for running the event and to Mifflin County Sportsmen Assoc. for hosting the event at their club.
We are looking forward to shooting the Match in the spring once the dates come out. Hope to see more of you there.
Ralph and Lynn Carruthers

Score Position Name
35 1 Tim Hoke
33 2 Bob Kopper
32 3 Lynn Carruthers
32 4 Gordon Clefton
32 5 Dean Gumby
30 6 Bob Clipp
29 7 Ralph Carruthers
28 8 Mark Chronister
28 9 Gary Ireland
28 10 Jeff Murphy
27 11 Barry Harmon
21 12 Randy Doan
21 13 Kermit Hoke
18 14 Bruce Getgen
15 15 Grant Rogers
Glenn
semtav

Re: Mifflin County PA Sportsmen Assoc. Fall BPCR Gong Shoot

Post by semtav »

Thanks for posting this Glenn.
Nice to see what other people are doing even if it doesn't get much vocal activity.