NMLRA 1200yd Match Results

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SSShooter

NMLRA 1200yd Match Results

Post by SSShooter »

Our 1200 match in Indiana went without hitch over the weekend. Results of the Joe Hepsworth Memorial 1200 shoot 1st place muzzleloader was Kenn Heismann 2nd place was Dan Bredberg. Cartridge 1st place was Willie Pool. 2nd place Ian Egbert. 3rd was Justin Abrams. Willie actually ran out of ammo on the last relay and still pulled it out! Saturday started with some switching head winds and made things a little tricky and it only went down hill from there. Sunday head wind switch to a tail wind on the line but down range all the flags were standing straight toward 3 o’clock. We were estimating 20-25 mph gusts at one time. Most all of us had to use 23 moa left on the sights to be able to hit the target. The winds stayed consistent in direction but the velocity of the wind was not as consistent. It was an incredible learning experience and I am already looking forward to next year. Hope to see more shooters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
Woody

Re: NMLRA 1200yd Match Results

Post by Woody »

Willie is new to this game and this was his first time shooting at 1200. Obviously his load and rifle are working. He was shooting a stock Browning 45-70 grease groove, with a 28 inch MVA and a borrowed Creedmoor rear mount. I couldn't and didn't shoot the match, but Willie was so excited that he called me as soon as he got home and again on Monday to talk about the match. Thanks Ian for watching over him. He has come a long way in short time. Congrats Willie.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Some kind of equipment list would be nice. Rifle, chambering, PP or Greaser, and sights.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Willie doesn't post here, but he shoots a postil greaser and Swiss 1.5 powder through a Browning High Wall with a MVA scope with MVA malcolm style mounts. I know for this match, he borrowed the rear mount since he did not have a riser block.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

They didn’t give us anything to write down for an equipment list. Maybe next year I can get something put together so people can give their information. I will make a few phone calls though and see what peeps were using. I can tell you what I know now though. There were 2 muzzleloaders. Willie had a browning as woody already said. I used a c sharps highwall and everyone else was using shilohs. There were at least 2 45-90s. Willie Justin Abrams and myself were shooting 45-70s. I think I was the only one shooting a 16 twist. I was the only cartridge guy using paper patch. Ken Heismann was shooting paper patch but he was shooting a front stuffer. Willie estimates that his loads are going just under 1200 FPS. Mine are going 1330. I was shooting 81 grains of Swiss 1.5. .160 compression. .060 polly wad. Federal large pistol match primer with an OP wad. Bullet was the .446 money bullet that weighs 540. They list it at 545. It is 1.515” long and I cast it with an alloy of 14:1. Grumpy bear can give us the low down on his stuff. I was shooting a baldwin staff and a distant thunder front sight.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Woody wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 pm Willie is new to this game and this was his first time shooting at 1200. Obviously his load and rifle are working. He was shooting a stock Browning 45-70 grease groove, with a 28 inch MVA and a borrowed Creedmoor rear mount. I couldn't and didn't shoot the match, but Willie was so excited that he called me as soon as he got home and again on Monday to talk about the match. Thanks Ian for watching over him. He has come a long way in short time. Congrats Willie.

Woody
It was a learning experience for all of us. Brian Willie and I had a good time. I don’t think Willie had a single miss all weekend other than on that last relay he just ran out of ammo and he only took 8 scoring shots. I had a ton of misses at 1200 and I need to figure out why. Willie was shooting a slow load but it does not mind. I am thinking if I want to shoot this bullet I might need a longer chamber or I maybe I need to switch to a bullet that is a little more nose heavy. I have a year to ponder over it and next year I will throw my best guess at it.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

ian45662 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:41 am They didn’t give us anything to write down for an equipment list. Maybe next year I can get something put together so people can give their information. I will make a few phone calls though and see what peeps were using. I can tell you what I know now though. There were 2 muzzleloaders. Willie had a browning as woody already said. I used a c sharps highwall and everyone else was using shilohs. There were at least 2 45-90s. Willie Justin Abrams and myself were shooting 45-70s. I think I was the only one shooting a 16 twist. I was the only cartridge guy using paper patch. Ken Heismann was shooting paper patch but he was shooting a front stuffer. Willie estimates that his loads are going just under 1200 FPS. Mine are going 1330. I was shooting 81 grains of Swiss 1.5. .160 compression. .060 polly wad. Federal large pistol match primer with an OP wad. Bullet was the .446 money bullet that weighs 540. They list it at 545. It is 1.515” long and I cast it with an alloy of 14:1. Grumpy bear can give us the low down on his stuff. I was shooting a baldwin staff and a distant thunder front sight.

Also had a ton of misses at 1200 yards,and will be looking for answers prior to next years match. Had a great time with Willie,and Ian.

Shiloh 1874 32 inch barrel,1:18 twist, BACO JIM 459545M2,says 545 grains, with 16:1 they come out around 538 grains,84 grains Swiss 1 1/2,.030 vege wad compress add .060 Walters poly wad, CCI BR2 primers,paper under primer. Baldwin staff, and MVA windage front sight. Have not chronied this load yet.