Smithmoor Season Finale

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Season Finale

Post by jackrabbit »

6th Season Finale 11/24/2020

Shooters and Friends,

As much as 2020 has enjoyed kicking us in the groin, we managed to side step it for a day and finally found a time to hold our 6th Winter Season 22 BPCR Finale. The match was scheduled for the second Saturday in April of this year, but lockdowns due to the Corona virus caused us to post pone it. After pressure from the virus let up, we were in the midst of the summer shooting season and couldn't seem to find a free weekend. It finally all came together on November 15th. The virus is still a large concern for some folks, and we took the stance that it is up to you to protect yourself. Several shooters felt the risk of the virus was too large, a few were hunting, and a family funeral kept a few others away, but we still had 19 make it out to shoot.

The weather turned out pretty darned good for November in Wyoming, with high temps in the mid 40's and some breezes. Thanks to the help of an anonymous donor and Bill Acklin, the shooting shed now sports a super addition. There is now an extension to the east that really protects us from the weather. It is awesome! We all stayed quite comfortable while shooting from inside the shed.

Coralee did a big roaster full of pulled pork for lunch. We made sandwiches out of it and enjoyed those along with homemade cole slaw, and apple crisp. It was a home run! We had a donut explosion earlier that morning. Several folks brought them in for a morning snack, and Grace and her MeMa Bev Reed made some fresh, homemade ones and brought them out. There were lots of donuts and I loved it!

We had some great shooting happen, too. Young Javyn Cruz was quite pleased to be high A class and take home the custom A class Champion Buckle. He has been steadily improving and it has been fun to watch. Young Chase Sauer took home the AA Class buckle with a 19. Chase got caught in the worst relay of the day on turkeys when the wind briefly raged. He buckled down and got his ten pigs and two chickens, though. I'll tell you what, seeing the giant smiles on Chase's and Javyn's faces when taking pictures at the award ceremony makes my heart swell. Great job fellas, we are all proud of you!

My old college rommate and close friend, James Sedman, shot a 29 to take home the Champion AAA buckle. James has a farm and feedlot and has a hard time getting away to shoot, but it sure makes me happy when he does. Good shooting James! Keith Kelly shot a solid 25 to be second AAA and took home a new spotting board donated by Buffalo Arms.

Master class was a bit of a dog fight, as usual. 4th Master with a 30, taking home a Smithmoor insulated mug was Steve Anderson. 3rd with 31 was sweet Coralee and she took home an Rtic Water Jug. 1st and 2nd in Master class were both 33's that had to be settled with a shootoff. Tom Reed lost the shoot off, but still took home a Smithmoor glass with an 1880's Silver Dollar sponsored by The Coin Shop in Cheyenne. The Coin Shop hooked us up with 14 silver dollars that came from a collection from Cheyenne that supposedly had been in Cheyenne for a long time. It is likely they were spent there back in the day. We had fun thinking about where they had been and what they might have been spent on. Dick Hennebry shot a super 5 chickens in the match, and then smoked another two to win the shootoff. Great job Dick! Dick took home the Master Class Champion buckle.

Mark Pachares cleaned the prone targets (yahooo!!) and nailed a chicken to give him a 31 and be Champion Grand Master and take home the buckle. For those that don't know, we had some custom pins made that say "clean prone" on them, and they have become as coveted as the match winner pins. Good job Mark! I was also fortunate to have Mark's eagle eyes spotting for me. No doubt his excellent spotting led to a 36 and the Match winner buckle. Thanks for the great spotting Mark. Mark took home one of the new Wyoming Sight Drifter's for being high spotter. It was donated by Steve Anderson, it was one of the new premium models with the interchangeable tips. Check them out on at wyomingsightdrifter.com. I also want to give a giant thank you and big shout out to The Sauer Family and Buckaroo Motors for being our buckle sponsor again this season. The buckles were beautiful and made possible by this very generous donation. Thank you so much for all of your support!

Our season finale was also the culmination of a 3 match series of 22 BPTR paper target matches sponsored by Dick Hennebry. Dick has been running full size 22 BPTR matches on the high power range at the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club in the summer. They are lots of fun and I encourage everyone to make the time to go shoot them. The BPTR targets we shoot are a bit of a miniaturized game. They are downsized appropriately and shot at 100 yards. We shot 200 yard reduced targets in February, 300 yard reduced targets in March, and we shot the 600 yard reduced targets at our Season Finale. Corlaee tracked everyone's scores and Dick had nice awards to give away for the season winners. 1st Iron in A/AA class was Dick Hennebry with a 286-5x. Chase Sauer was 1st junior. In Master/AAA iron sight class Monte Reed was 1st, while 1st Master/AAA scope went to Steve Anderson with a 294-11x. Coralee was High Woman with a 286-9x. Mark Pachares was 1st in Grand Master Scope with a 286-9x, and I was High overall with a 300-12x. A giant thank you to Dick Hennebry for sponsoring and putting on this fun side match, and also to everyone that tried hard to shoot some good scores.

Thank you to everyone that has made our 22 BPCR Winter Seasons such a success. I look forward to each match.
Take care my friends,
Cody

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Mark Pachares 86-3x 1 10 10 10 31 1st Clean Prone!
Cody Smith 100-5x 7 10 9 10 36 MW

Master
Bill Acklin 97-3x 1 9 7 8 25
Steve Anderson 94-1x 2 10 9 9 30 4th
Richard "Doc" Bement 88 3 7 10 7 27
Greg Bybee 99-7x 2 10 10 7 29
Dick Hennebry 92 5 10 10 8 33 1st
Michael Jackson 95-2x 1 10 9 9 29
Tom Reed 100-3x 5 10 9 9 33 2nd
Cecil Sauer 95 4 10 7 6 27
Cole Sauer 99-3x 2 10 10 6 28
Coralee Smith 89-1x 2 10 10 9 31 3rd