Smithmoor December 22's

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor December 22's

Post by jackrabbit »

Shooters and Friends, 12/15/2020

Our December 22 Winter series 22 match went very well this past Saturday. We had 23 shooters make it out to test their skills on the cold, snow covered, calm day. Temperatures started in the high teens in the morning and made their way up to the high 20's by afternoon. We melted the snow off of the chicken berm but didn't take time to do the same on the lay down target berms. The splotchy backgrounds made for some tricky shooting due to poor sight pictures. I was also once again left wondering if the wind flags were broken as they only wavered once or twice all day. The rest of the time they hung absolutely limp. With the warmth of the stove and the comfort of the shooting shed, it made for a great day to shoot.

Dick Hennebry found a new donut shop in town and thought he would try it out. I thought they were super! Ed Himelhoch and someone else brought some great donuts, too. Thank you guys a bunch for bringing them! Coralee had a big roaster full of beef barley and vegetable stew for lunch. Along with home made rolls from Bev Reed, apple crisp, and pumpkin bread, it made one heck of spread. Great food, thank you!

We ran the paper target this month with the option of shooting it prone or offhand. We shot the 100 yard WSU German ring targets from SPG Sales (https://www.shopspg.net/) at 100 yards. A few brave souls shot it offhand. It made good practice for improvement on chicken shooting, as well as it gave us a taste of what it is like to shoot one of our Offhand Target matches we occasionally hold. There were several really good targets this month in both offhand and prone. I was pleased to shoot a 228 to win the High Offhand target in GM/M class, while my old friend James Sedman shot a solid 205 to be High Offhand in AAA/AA/A class. Among those that chose to shoot the paper target prone (bunch of sissies anyways…..) Joshua Tangemen shot a great 240 to be 1st Paper target in AAA/AA/A class. Good shooting Joshua. Most impressive and most proud was my Dad, Gary Smith, to win High overall paper target with a 246. He only had 4 shots slip out of the 3/4" center of the target. The 10 shot group measured slightly less than 1 1/2". I am fairly certain this is the best German Ring target that we have shot yet at Smithmoor. Great Job Dad!

For the silhouette match, we were quite pleased to have Greg Tryon come down from Gillette and win A class with a 20. Greg fit right in with the group and was a welcome addition. Hopefully he comes back. Young Chase Sauer was quite pleased to win AA class with a 29. Great Job Chase! I also wanted to mention he shot a super 189 offhand on the paper target and nailed a chicken. Watch out for Chase, fellas, it won't be long before he is winning the big matches! Joshua Tangeman shot a solid 30 to win AAA class. Joshua has been steadily improving and it has been fun to watch. Master class was extra exciting this month. Dad, Greg Bybee, and Dick Hennebry all tied with 33's! We settled it in an exciting shoot off (no lame flip-offs allowed at Smithmoor). Dad prevailed in the shootoff by smoking 2 chickens! He was elated and we all smiled at his win. I managed a 33 on the splotchy berms with iron sights to take Grand Master class, while super shooter Mark Pachares shot an impressive 35 to be our match winner. Great Shooting Mark!

We have a big bore match scheduled for the 3rd Saturday, which happens to be December 19th. The weather report is not real promising, but watch for an email later in the week when we decide whether or not to have it. The big news is our 22 Offhand Target match was such a success that we had numerous requests to do it again, and several requests from shooters from some distance away to host a 2 day match so they can justify the drive. I am really pleased! We are working on a match flyer, but we are planning on hosting it the third weekend in February, which is February 20th and 21st. Put it on your calender and let me know if you are interested in coming as we are limited to a maximum of 24 shooters, and I suspect it might fill up.

I hope to see everyone back in January for our next 22 Winters series match.
Merry Christmas Everyone!
Cody

Shooter Sights Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Mark Pachares Sc OH 206 6 10 10 9 35 MW
Jim Rodebaugh Sc OH 210 3 10 9 10 32
Cody Smith Ir OH 228 5 10 9 9 33 1st

Master
Steve Anderson Sc 244 3 10 9 8 30
Greg Bybee Sc 239 3 10 10 10 33 clean prone
JD Farmer Sc 232 2 10 9 8 29
Dick Hennebry Sc 238 3 10 10 10 33 clean prone
Michael Jackson Sc 226 2 10 9 8 29
Tom Reed Sc OH 179 3 9 10 8 30
Cecil Sauer Sc OH 198 4 10 9 9 32
Coralee Smith Sc OH 155 4 10 9 9 32
Gary Smith Sc 246 3 10 10 10 33 clean prone, High Paper, 1st Master
Travis Purdum Ir -- 2 10 9 6 27

AAA
Ed Himelhoch Sc OH 142 2 10 5 10 27
Keith Kelly Sc 215 3 10 6 9 28
Joshua Tangeman Sc 240 1 10 9 10 30 1st
James Sedman Sc OH 205 1 8 8 9 26
Caleb Wolf Ir 218 0 10 7 9 26

AA
Dick Farmer Sc OH 128 1 10 9 8 28
Chase Sauer Sc OH 189 1 10 10 8 29 1st
Craig Wolf Ir 236 2 9 8 6 25

A
Ruthann Holmes Sc 230 1 6 5 7 19
Greg Tryon Ir OH 171 3 8 3 6 20 1st
40-65rl

Re: Smithmoor December 22's

Post by 40-65rl »

Mark Pachares was the other Donut Santa. Donuts in the shape of Christmas trees, they were great.
We had two new shooters, our friends from Watkins, Craig and Kaleb Wolf. I think they will be back, both shot very well for a first time out.
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thank you Dick, it is hard to remember everything. Craig and Caleb were a welcome addition. Both are great shots and no doubt will be giving all of us a run for our money in no time.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Looks like Wyoming shooters can shoot in a no wind condition after all.
Very impressive.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

As the spotter, I had a hard time making wind calls in no wind!?
wyomingsightdrifter.com
Shutinlead

Post by Shutinlead »

It was my first time at Smithmoor and the shoot was first class! The Smith's put on a very good show and everyone steps up to make things run smooth, well worth the drive and hope to be a regular.
I shot poorly and my only excuse I can come up with is the WIND, and lack there of... I shoot frequently and rarely (never?) - ever have a day like we had here - nothing to lean into. Now when I come back and accidentally shoot well I don't want to be accused of sandbagging... :lol:
Greg