Smithmoor Feb 22's

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Feb 22's

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends and Shooters, 2/14/2021

The Artic Encounter! Wow was it cold yesterday! 15 riflemen braved the below zero temperatures and snow to come shoot at Smithmoor, and we had a great time. It was 7 below when I left the house to go feed before the match, and it had warmed up to about 4 below when the match started. I think we did get to zero or so mid day, but the wind did not really blow. There was a small breeze that came up from time to time, but it was quite mild. It was actually quite pretty out with the snow glistening in the sun and everything frosty. A bit of a winter wonderland. We ran two diesel heaters and the wood stove as hot as we get them and we stayed fairly comfortable. My fingers would get a little numb by the time I was near the end of string of shots, however. The interesting thing was how the bullets handled the cold air. There were definitely some peculiar things that happened with the shots that were hard to explain. Most everyone was several minutes above their normal elevation settings.

Dick Hennebry is again sponsoring a three match paper target series. Like last year, we will shoot 200, 300, and 600 yard reduced targets at 100 yards. Coralee will keep track of the scores and Dick has some nice prizes to award to the series winners come April. This month we shot the 200 yard reduced target at 100 yards. Craig Wolf shot a super 100-7x to be high paper in the AAA/AA/A class, while there was a tie in the GM/M class between Bill Acklin and Jim Rodebaugh with 100-4x's. Bill's target was judged to be slightly better than Jim's, so Bill took home the certificate. Sweet Coralee knocked one out of the park with a 100-8x to be high overall paper! Great Shooting! It will be interesting to see how it all plays out come April. A giant thank you goes out to Dick for sponsoring this fun side match!

Young Javyn Cruz shot a solid 20 in A class this month. Good job Javyn! He has been working hard and steadily improving. Dick Farmer won AA class for the very last time this month with a 29. Dick will be moving to AAA class next match and we are all tickled to see that. Great job Dick! AAA saw a tie between Ed Himelhoch and Keith Kelly with 24's. Keith conceded the win to Ed, mostly because it was so cold, but I am pleased to see both of these guys shooting well. Ed is eyeing master class and I bet we see him make it. Coralee continued her hot streak and also was 1st master class with a 32. In the cold with umpteen layers of clothes on, 32 is a pretty decent score. Grand master only had two entries this month and I was match winner which left 1st GM to Jim Rodebaugh. JIm was rather disgusted to have trouble on the rams and only manage 3, which left him with a 27. Some days chicken salad, some days chicken poop….. A big thank you to Steve Anderson for his excellent spotting which lead to my match win.

Coralee whipped up some chili and cornbread for our lunch. A big pan of bread pudding made for a great desert as well. She soaked the beans all night and boiled the heck out of them all morning, but they were still just a little crunchy by lunch time, much to her aggravation. It was still pretty good. Thank you, Coralee, for the good food we all appreciate it. Also a big thank you to that donut angel, Dick Hennebry for bringing a nice box of those delectable delights out for our morning snack!

Next weekend we have our 2 day Offhand Championship at Smithmoor East. It is currently full with shooters coming from several states. I am hoping it goes well and becomes a tradition. I also want to mention to please keep Harold and Paulette Forcum in your thoughts and prayers. They are dear friends of many of us and are both experiencing severe health problems

Thank you to all who braved the cold weather and made our February match a success!
Until next time,
Cody

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Cody Smith Iron 100-1x 8 10 10 9 37 MW
Jim Rodebaugh Sc 100-4x 5 9 10 3 27 1st

Master
Bill Acklin Sc 100-4x 4 10 8 8 30 1st Paper GM/M
Steve Anderson Sc -- 5 7 8 7 27
JD Farmer Sc -- 4 6 5 9 24
Dick Hennebry Sc 19 2 10 10 9 31
Michael Jackson Sc 96-2x 2 9 9 10 30
Coralee Smith Sc 100-8x 4 10 9 9 32 1st Master, High OA Paper
Gary Smith Sc 100-3x 1 8 10 10 29

AAA
Ed Himelhoch Sc 100-4x 2 9 5 8 24 1st
Keith Kelly Sc 98-1x 2 10 5 7 24
Caleb Wolf Ir 100-3x 2 9 6 5 22

AA
Dick Farmer Sc 100-3x 2 9 9 9 29 1st and moves to AAA next match!
Craig Wolf Ir 100-7x 2 10 7 8 27 1st paper in AAA/AA/A

A
Javyn Cruz Sc 92-2x 1 10 3 6 20 1st