Smithmoor Winter Finale

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Winter Finale

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends and Shooters, April 30, 2021

Our 7th Winter Series Finale Match was held Saturday, April 10th in Cody's Shooting Shed at Smithmoor East. I thought it was a fantastic day and will be remembered for some time. We had a full house of 30 signed up and one last minute cancelation due to his vehicle catching on fire. Like a high school teacher, I occasionally get some pretty ridiculous excuses, but I am pretty sure this one was legit. Lol! We are all just glad Michael Jackson is ok. The weather was super for spring in Wyoming with warm temps and some breezes. It was just enough wind to give everybody a good challenge.

Our Patron Saint of Donuts, Dick Hennebry, came through with some super, fresh donuts, as well as we had a bunch of morning goodies from several other folks. Coralee, Momma Lorraine, and Bev Reed had a wonderful lunch for us. Pulled pork and Dad's famous cowboy beans were the main course, with cole slaw for a side. Bev whipped up a great lemon cake commemorating our 7th Finale Match, and Ed blessed us with his famous brownies. I think everyone really enjoyed lunch. A giant thank you to all those that help with the food, it really helps make the matches great.

This match was also the final match in our 3 match paper target series. It serves as a bit of a teaser for the 22 BPCR Mid-range matches held by Dick Hennebry during the summer at the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Range. The paper targets are always a challenge and it is fun to see how everyone's guns perform. For Saturday's match, shooting at the 600 yard target reduced for 100 yard use target, Cole Sauer shot a 100-8x to be high paper in Master/Grand Master class, while Craig Wolf also shot a 100-8x to be high AAA/AA/A class. 100-8x on that target, in the changing winds is absolutely phenomenal! Great shooting fellas!!! For those that were able to complete the three match series, Craig Wolf was the high overall with a super impressive 300-18x! Wow! First scope in Master/AAA class was Bill Acklin with a very good 299-11x. I was 1st iron sight grand master with a 297-8x and Caleb Wolf shot a super 294-8x to be 1st M/AAA iron sight.

As usual, we had some great shooting in the silhouette portion of the match as well. We are very proud of how well the regulars at Smithmoor shoot! Javyn Cruz was our only A class entry and he shot a solid 23. Javyn took home a walnut range box made by Travis and Dawna Purdum. I am sure he will put it to good use. We had no AA class shooters this year as they have all shot so well they moved up in class. In AAA, Craig Wolf was first with a very good 33, while Chase Sauer and Ed Himelhoch had to shoot off on turkeys to determine 2nd. Chase came out ahead, leaving Ed with 3rd. In Master class, Steve Anderson was very pleased to be 1st place, while Dick Hennebry forfeited the shoot off and ended up 2nd. We had a 3 way tie for 3rd place between Cecil, Bill Acklin, and Greg Bybee with 32's. Cecil won the shootoff, making him 3rd, Greg ended up 4th and Bill Acklin was 5th. I love shootoffs! It was big fun watching! In our Grand Master Class, Michael Rix was 2nd with a 32. Michael has missed a bunch of matches this year due to Covid concerns and let me tell you, it was really good to have him back. You were missed Michael! Always in the running for the match win was veteran rifleman Jack Odor. Jack shot a super 34 to tie the match winner, but forfeited the shootoff. This left 14 year old super shooter Cole Sauer with the Match Winner prize! Fantastic shooting Cole! It is always fun to see Cole do so well at these shooting events. Cole and his brother Chase are some of the most courteous, mannered, smart and hard working kids. His folks, Cecil and Amber, are very proud of you guys and so are we! Great shooting!!!

In general, the match winner and 1st places each took home a Smithmoor Seiko wrist watch, 2nd took home a Smithmoor glass and an 1800's silver dollar, 3rd received a Smithmoor hat and timer, 4th took home a Smithmoor RTIC water jug and 5th received a Smithmoor T-shirt. We also had a few special awards donated by Wyoming Sight Drifter. 1st Master Class Spotter was Kenny Wasserburger, and Caleb Wolf was 1st AAA Spotter. Both of these talented spotters took home a set of the premium Wyoming Sight Drifters with the changeable heads. Very nice! Steve also offered one of his new double headed drifters to anyone that shot a personal best at the match. Ed Himelhoch received one for his super 31! Thank you Wyoming Sight Drifter!

I want to mention that we had 6 shooters shoot clean prone and take home coveted clean prone pins. Shooting clean prone is no small accomplishment and it wasn't the easiest day to do so. Good job Steve Anderson, Dick Hennebry, Cole Sauer, Coralee Smith, Robert Garibay, and Craig Wolf! Also, JD Farmer was the winner of the Turkey Lotto, taking home 50 bucks for his win and leaving 50 bucks to go into the range improvement fund. Thank you everyone for playing.

A giant thank you goes out to all those that supported this match. The Sauer family of Buckaroo Motors again very graciously donated money to help pay for prizes, Ed Himelhoch donated the very nice timers for prizes, Dick Hennebry went above and beyond organizing the paper target matches and ordering and paying for the awards, Steve Anderson of Wyoming Sight Drifter generously donated several Sight Drifters, Bill Acklin generously helps with range improvements and of course we are most appreciative to all our wonderful shooters who continue to support these matches and make them so much fun! Thank you!

Hope to see you all this summer,
Cody

Shooter Paper Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Place
Grand Master
Jack Odor sc 95-1x 5 10 10 9 34 1st
Mark Pachares sc -- 4 8 7 9 28
Michael Rix sc 96-2x 3 10 9 10 32 2nd
Cody Smith ir 97-3x 5 10 7 6 28

Master
Bill Acklin sc 99-2x 3 10 9 10 32 5th
Steve Anderson sc 91-1x 3 10 10 10 33 1st clean prone
Greg Bybee sc 70-1x 3 10 10 9 32 4th
JD Farmer sc 94-2x 2 10 8 7 27
Dick Hennebry sc 98-5x 3 10 10 10 33 2nd clean prone
Joe Kapler sc 95-1 1 10 9 5 25
Tom Reed sc 50oh 3 10 9 9 31
Travis Purdum ir 100-3x 0 9 8 8 25
Cecil Sauer sc 95 4 9 9 10 32 3rd
Cole Sauer sc 100-8x 4 10 10 10 34 clean prone 1st paper MW!!!!
Coralee Smith sc 98-1x 2 10 10 10 32 clean prone
Gary Smith sc 95-3x 5 10 7 9 31
Kenny Wasserburger sc 100-3x 2 10 9 9 30
Bryan Youngberg sc 96 1 10 7 9 27
Robert Garibay ir 91-1x 1 10 10 10 31 clean prone

AAA
Dick Farmer sc 92-2x 1 9 8 9 27
Danny Glick sc 92 0 9 6 8 23
Ed Himelhoch sc 93 4 10 9 8 31
Keith Kelly sc 17-1x 2 10 8 9 29
Lee Lane sc -- 0 10 3 8 21
Chase Sauer sc 100-5x 3 10 9 9 31 2nd