Lodi Match this weekend

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

Re: Lodi Match this weekend

Post by Distant Thunder »

Kevin,

Sorry, I knew all that because you told me all that at the range I just couldn't quite remember! This getting old is harder than it looks!

I did not know that Bob was shooting his .40-65 and yes that is a factory chamber. Arnie Seitz designed that 2-D PP bullet and I made the mold. It shoots very well out of the standard chamber and Bob has shot it at long range before. He does have a rifle in .45-70 with Danielson's chamber which he has used before, but apparently not this time.

Yea, I would say the old .45-70 held it's own this past weekend and paper patch goes a long way to making that more possible. I had 83 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss loaded in mine and Jim Ruch had, I believe, 85 grains in his. With my .45-90 and naked, greasy bullet I was loading 85 grains, but I was also cleaning the lead of my barrel on a regular basis. That is a thing of the past with paper patch.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
semtav

Post by semtav »

obviously its just spitting enough rain to keep me from doing anything constructive.
( I may hire out as a rainmaker soon)
Accidently found this looking for a chamber drawing :
mdeland wrote: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:39 pm One more thing that seems to get lost in the shuffle, "Lodi ain't Raton"!
Well we can put that to bed !!

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewt ... =5&t=22226
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I've shot at both Lodi and Raton and each has it's challenges. I know Lodi best of all ranges and that makes it seem easier to me. Raton was a bit overwhelming because I don't know it anywhere near as well. I did mange to shoot my best ever 800 yards score at Raton, 98, and I have come close to it at Lodi a couple times but I think 97 is the best I've done. I don't recall the X counts offhand.

I think Raton would require a good amount of shooting there to learn and I don't think I have enough time remaining to accomplish that.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Bullet was cast .443 and wrapped with BACO 9# onion paper.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

by VectorMan » Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 am

I have deferred commenting on KA's post referenced above long enough.

Thank you Kevin, that is exactly the level of pertinent information that is useful to those that cannot sit and chat with you in person. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:11 am by VectorMan » Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 am

I have deferred commenting on KA's post referenced above long enough.

Thank you Kevin, that is exactly the level of pertinent information that is useful to those that cannot sit and chat with you in person. :wink:
Thank you ZT. Coming from you, is a huge compliment.

I have had a lot more to say on my Lodi experience but life in the past few weeks has been full of drastic high and lows.

Not so much my Lodi experience as what my thoughts now are on long range compared to before I had ever fired a shot. Now I have a completely different view. I had several misconceptions about BPTR’s and what it takes to shoot well at 1000 yards, mostly based on what I have read here on the internet. I am in no way an expert on shooting BPTR’s, I am now what is called a beginner.

One of my 1st misconceptions was that you have to have a 45-90, 45-100 or the infamous 45-110 that Quigley drilled the bucket with in the movie. That misconception was from the constant reading on numerous forums of what you needed. I have nothing against anyone who has any and shoots those longer cartridges, but when trying to advise a person as to what caliber they need for shooting accurately at 1000 yards, a regular old 45-70 is the answer. If they can’t get it to shoot well at 1000, chances are if they pick one of those long cased 45’s, they wont get it to shoot well either.

A few years ago I new at some point I was going to shoot in a 1000 yard match sooner or later, so I set out to have at least 2 long range BPTR’s. The 1st one I got was a old used Farmingdale Shiloh in 45-70 with the lighter barrrel and the standard long freebore that most all of them had. The barrel didn’t matter to me, all that mattered was I needed a rifle that I was going to put a heavy 1.3” diameter Krieger barrel on with the 1-16 twist and have it chambered in 45-70. This gun was built to take out west and shoot the Tollifson class and I felt I needed the 16 twist and set trigger to shoot at the 1000 yard to be accurate and the heavy barrel to lay in the sticks and help with the recoil, again to help with my concentration for accuracy in a match. I have 3K in that rifle, I’m sure it can be super accurate, I do not know, its crying in the safe to be let out to play. It will be someday.
My 2nd BPTR for long range is a Meacham High Wall in 45-100 with a 32” Ron Smith gain twist barrel. This is a dream rifle to shoot. The action is the best I have ever had the pleasure to fire. Pure silk. That rifle is well over 3K, again, I’m sure it can be one of the most accurate rifles I will ever shoot if only I had the time. Don’t get me wrong, Iove both of those rifles, but they were not needed for being accurate at 1000 yards.

You see, the highest score shot at 1000 yards at Lodi was done with a factory standard Browning BPCR 1885 in 45-70. No set trigger, no 1-16 fast twist barrel, and no 100 grains of powder, yes It was just me and my rifle. The top 2 day aggregate at 1000 yards at Lodi was shot with a Browning BPCR 1885 in 45-70 also, by Todd I believe. And the overall winner of 1000, 900, and 800 yard aggregate was yes, a 45-70.

The point I’m trying to make is to the individual who has never shot at 1000 yards and wants to but doesn’t quite know what caliber to do it with or how much and what kind of rifle to attempt it with. Let me put it this way, at the end of the 2 day Lodi weekend, of the overall top 8 aggregate shooters, 4 of them were using probably the cheapest rifle to acquire to get into this sport and one of the easiest to load for. The Browning BPCR. 6 of the top 8 were shooting a 45-70, the other 2, one was a 40-65 and then there is Steve F. I do not know what he shoots but it shoots well from coast to coast. What I also do not know is the equipment list for the entire field, hell they might all have been shooting 45-70’s. IMHO a guy who wants to try a 1000 yard match, get a quality 45-70 and shoot it, a bunch. If in the end it don’t work out or its just not your cup of tea, the 45-70 will sell fast or it can be used for a lot of other matches and its easy to load for.

Now don’t all of you long cased 45 shooters get sand in your vagina and think I’m bashing anything other than a 45-70. I am not. They are cool and accurate also. And yes my 45-70 is loaded to say a 45-77 and a lot of the other 45-70 are loaded well over 70 grains, closer to a 45-90 I’d expect. Just like a lot of those 45-110 shooters are loading them down well below 110 grains.

There are a couple things I learned at Lodi. The 45-70 at 1000 is more that adequate and the old Browning BPCR’s are still holding there own since haven’t been made since 1998. Another thing I learned was you CAN use a Browning BPCR with the factory drilled holes,Steve Earle rail, and DZ scope with rings and reach 1000 yards, but theres a trick to it. Yes Wayne, it should be an additional article in your book.

Now back to regular life stuff till next time.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring »

Good post Alexander. I have ordered a c-sharps 40-65 for me and was thinking of selling my Winchester (japan made ) 45-70...but now I think I'll just keep it.
There are those that talk, and those that act. Make a choice.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Kevin, I can feel the excitement coming through on your last post and understand where you are coming from. A caution however. Think of this as your first date to your first dance and don't fail to respond to that Tollofson crying in the safe or the Meacham in particular suffering from unrequited love. You may find out your have been missing something very gratifying. But, (you know the but monkey), you won't know until you take them out for a whirl around the dance floor. :wink: Yeah, I understand the psychology behind the novelty of the first kiss, however, nothing like a Red Hot Lover to change a mans mind. :mrgreen:

You may find you gravitate to one particular rifle once you have given all three a fair chance. Know I do and others also sort of gravitate to a favorite. You don't know which one you will shoot the best with or fills your fancy the best until you give them a whirl.

Two very successful 45-100 shooters I know load below capacity, actually about an amped up 45-70. I know I use less powder in one of my 90's than Aviator uses in his 45-70. Does any of my 90's actually shoot better than the other? Probably not. I just go with the one I like to shoot on any given day. You know, variety is the spice of life sort of thing?

But, when I discover which one of them I shoot the best scores with under less than ideal conditions that is the one that goes to the dance. That is dependent more on my ability than the salient characteristics of the rifle. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 am You may find out your have been missing something very gratifying. But, (you know the but monkey), you won't know until you take them out for a whirl around the dance floor. :wink: Yeah, I understand the psychology behind the novelty of the first kiss, however, nothing like a Red Hot Lover to change a mans mind. :mrgreen:
I was gonna say something about shooting a 45-70 is like kissing your sister, but I don't have a sister, so the feeling may be worse !!