Lodi Match this weekend

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Lodi Match this weekend

Post by desert deuce »

Heard a scurrilous rumor that many shots were fired at distant targets at Lodi, Wisconsin, this week end and apparently nobody was keeping score?
At least I haven't seen any scores here on Shiloh Forum.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
VectorMan

Re: Lodi Match this weekend

Post by VectorMan »

Check out the Historic shooting forum.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:15 am Heard a scurrilous rumor that many shots were fired at distant targets at Lodi, Wisconsin, this week end and apparently nobody was keeping score?
At least I haven't seen any scores here on Shiloh Forum.
Rumor i heard was they did keep score, and suddenly we hear crickets from the south country!!

Where have MD and DD gone ? :)
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I would post the score sheet, but the site doesn't seem to let me attach a pdf file, and when I reduce a photo of the score sheet enough to let me attach it, it is almost unreadable. So it remains invisible! :lol:

The wind on Saturday was about 20 mph, gusting over 40. Reminded me of shooting out in Colorado and Wyoming! :shock:
On Sunday, the wind was only about 13 mph, gusting 25. The predicted rain held off until the match was over.
Both days were constantly changing, way more than enough to push you way off the target, keeping the spotter/coach on their toes.

Everywhere I looked, folks seemed to be having a good time. Cliff and Mark always put on a great match!

All I will say about my performance is this: Results during one 1000 yard relay turn disappointing when you find out that you neglected to verify that the objective lens housing on your scope has not loosened...... :roll: :oops:
Still managed to end up in third place for the two day aggregate, 7 points off the winner. Even with grease groove bullets. :lol:
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

Yes I also tried to post the results but could not.

It was a very exciting match for me. Conditions were about the same as a typical day shooting silhouette in Kansas. The only thing different was trying to figure out which flag gave the most accurate condition at the time you would expect your shooter your spotting for was going to pull the trigger and how those conditions might change in that 1000 yard path while the bullet is in flight. Very tricky at Lodi, more reliable in Kansas. Not impossible at Lodi, just tricky. Some flags at Lodi were just plain lying to your face.

There were a few guys I wanted to meet for awhile and a few I just wanted to put a face with the name.
The range at Lodi is very nice, well kept, well ran match and good company all around. I meet some new people and made a few friends.
I am most confident I will be returning to Lodi to shoot with these guys again as long as work allows.

With this having been my 1st ever long range match, I was impressed by how accurate these rifles will perform at 1000 yards and on how while in the pits, the sounds of the reports of the shot, the wizzing by of the bullet, the smack of the target and the thud of the bullet hitting the berm.

I am most impressed by the competitors themselves. I am 51 years old and my hats off to the 60, 70 and 80 year old's in this grueling sport. By the end of the second day my lower back was hurting laying out in the hot sun on the matt waiting for my spotter to give me the go while waiting for conditions to change.
A 15 shot for score match would have done me in probably or my scores would suffer because of it.
Those guys that compete in the "ironman" while shooting multiple days of this long range stuff deserve more than a t-shirt!

I am very pleased with my match results from Lodi. The spotting and coaching from Jim K. and Jim R. were dam good if not great. I would love to shoot with them anytime.
Brent Danielson was also a huge help and I am thankful for all his help.
As for now I will return to shooting silhouette out in Kansas and try to give lessons to those Jayhawkers on how to shoot paper patched bullets from a Missouri Mule.

See you guys out in Raton in July.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
semtav

Post by semtav »

1EFA997E-0DC3-473B-974D-FAD7DEC17A66 -1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
semtav

Post by semtav »

If you right click on the image and select open image in new tab, you can see it full size
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Thanks Brian.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for posting.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Just curious of what type Chambers the top paper patch shooters were using.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

I do not know what Tony has in his rifle, though I'm sure we talked about his rifle before the match. He had 4 rifles and we talked about each of them before the match and apparently that was too much input and some of it is lost.

Jim Ruch has a .45-70 Shiloh '74 with the standard grease groove chamber.

I have a Danielson tight paper patch chamber in my Hepburn, .45-70 of course.

Todd I do not know.

Bob Wood has the same Danielson chamber I have in .45-70 and I think it's in a Browning high wall. I should know what Bob's rifle is and probably do but again, memory failure!

Don I do not know.

Kevin used a Browning high wall .45-70 with I think a tight paper patch chamber and a 7 degree leade.

Sorry for the gaps in my memory! Anyone knowing better feel free to jump in here and correct my errors.

This is where an equipment list would be so nice!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
semtav

Post by semtav »

Holy crap!! All you 45-70 shooters are making me feel like a little boy with a big toy :lol: :oops:
I know aviator shoots a 45-70 also
Hopefully Tony was shooting a big gun 45 110 at least :|
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I was shooting a Browning BPCR in 45-70 with their std. chamber from the factory. It’s well suited for shooting paper patch. I’ll post the specs of their chamber later when I’m home.

Bob Wood was shooting a Browning BPCR also BUT it was a 40-65 with paper patch. I would assume Brownings factory chamber. Not sure.

KA
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

My Browning factory chamber has the 12.75 degree leade from chamber into the bore with no freebore.
Bore is .451
Groove is .459
Chamber length is 2.114
My brass brass was a little short as it was all 2.096, I would have liked it to be longer but my last minute of loading for this match its all I could do.
The main thing is that they were all exactly the same.
My bullet was a BACO elliptical cast with 16-1 lead and weighed 519gr. and was 1.462 long. I would like it to be a little shorter but it is what it is.
CCI BR2 primers.
Two .06 poly wads.
No compression.
77 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 powder.
Starline annealed brass, fireformed.
Slight taper crimp with a Lyman die. OD of brass at bullet is .479.
Bullet seated .177 in case.

My next long range load for this fall will be a littler better.
Longer brass, shorter bullet, crimp to .481 using a Meacham die, more powder, and only 1 poly wad.
We will see.

KA
semtav

Post by semtav »

Thanks Kevin. Was that patched to bore, or a DD bullet.

Ive yet to get my Browning 45-70 to shoot patched to groove to my satisfaction.

Guess if I would have read better I could have figured it out