Al Lueck 1000 yd Memorial Match Harris, MN

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Distant Thunder

Al Lueck 1000 yd Memorial Match Harris, MN

Post by Distant Thunder »

Early word is that this match was won by Jim Ruch shooting a Shiloh .45-70 with a STANDARD grease groove chamber and a bore diameter paper patch bullet over 85 grains of Swiss 1 1/2. He apparently edged out Ray Hanson with a narrow lead on day one and held on to that lead through day two for the win!

When you consider that this was only Jim's second BPTR match, he place 2nd with the same rifle/load at the May Lodi State Championship match, and he was spotting for himself it is an impressive accomplishment! Jim has picked up on how effective paper patch bullets are very quickly and is putting them to good use in his Shiloh.

My congratulations to you my friend, WELL DONE!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Al Lueck 1000 yd Memorial Match Harris, MN

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Congratulations to Jim,

Gee, a standard Chamber Shiloh :roll: who da thunk it.

That guy is going to be someone to recon with.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Distant Thunder

Ok, I have been corrected, Ray had a 3 point lead over Jim after day one. There were some visibility issues the 2nd morning and Ray had to shoot first relay and Jim was able to capitalize on the opportunity and over take Ray the 2nd day. They had planned two 15-shot relays on Sunday but due to the visibility problems early and the delay that caused they went to plan B, one 20-shot relay. That is where Jim came out ahead.

Chalk it up to an old guy's memory not being what it once was.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

I had the awesome privilege to shoot with Jim Ruch at his fist ever match with a BPCR at the long range match @ Lodi a few weeks ago. Below is my quote on 05-03 I had posted on the Historic Shooting Forum. I warned you.

“Jim Ruch is an excellent shot also. He will be at the top of every match he enters. Pay attention to this newcomer. If he continues to go to matches, he will not let up.“

I’ve shot with a lot of “new” guys to the black powder sport, Jim shoots like he’s been at it for 20 years. Congrats Jim wish I could have been there.

KA
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

DT confessed, "Chalk it up to an old guy's memory not being what it once was." :wink:

Should we construe that to mean what your memory was once? As in there is as of yet no twice?

Confession is good for the soul. Admire your candor DT. :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Distant Thunder

Oh hell, D Deuce, I've had a memory or three that have reappeared several times only to disappear back into the haze of time and be gone again. It's a random thing.

I really can't say for sure if my memory was any better when I was younger because I simply don't remember!

And it's not that the memories aren't here somewhere because they are, I just can't always find them in the mountains of clutter the many years have left.

I do appreciate your "concern" for my soul....... :roll:

I won't point out the clever way you have avoided commenting on the fact that shooters are doing well at Creedmoor matches with the old .45-70 and paper patch! :D
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
Old-Win

Post by Old-Win »

Word travels faster than a speeding bullet, Harris winners are:

!st Place - Jim Ruch (center) Jim shot paper patch
2nd Place - Ray Hanson (right) Ray shot muzzle loader
3rd Place - Bob Saathoff (left) Bob shot scope

Saturday, the weather was almost too nice with winds light and variable and several of us had to get re-aquainted shooting at 1000 yds with the long lay off. Sunday, began with dense fog and we didn't get started on time. The match director decided on one 20 shot relay so we could still get a start for home at a reasonable time.The clouds with low temperatures meant barrel heating wasn't too bad for a 20 shot string plus sighters. There were 13 shooters total. We had two muzzle loader shooters, one all the way from Chicago, thanks for coming Nathan, and two paper patchers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Congratulations to the shooters, and Bob hope to see you in Forsyth.