How to load powder with a scope

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Boston Bill

How to load powder with a scope

Post by Boston Bill » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi All,
I need some advise. I have an 1863 Sharps, 45 caliber 3 band rifle with a 30" barrel. It is a Farmingdale with serial number 24xx.
I have a 34" scope on it. This is how I bought it. It has no sights on it but a bunch of screw holes where different things were installed. ( reminds me of the really nice mutt I got from the kill shelter )
The scope has Unertl type rings.
My question is how do you all get powder into the chamber with the scope over it in the way?
Thanks all.
Happy Shooting!!! :D

VenisonRX

Re: How to load powder with a scope

Post by VenisonRX » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:25 am

I make a self contained paper cartridge glued to the bullet. Still deciding if I like an easier to make cartridge with a tail that gets cut off or one with a flat thin paper base that doesn’t get cut.

Other people make a paper cartridge that’s separate from the bullet containing the powder that they put in the chamber behind the bullet.

I’ve also heard others using a pyrodex pellet and having decent luck. Mine is a 54 and it looks like they discontinued making all pellets above 50 so I won’t be trying that method. Honestly though once you give it a try. Making a cartridge is pretty easy. Lots of videos on YouTube that show you how to do it.

Boston Bill

Post by Boston Bill » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:45 pm

I have watched many you tube videos and tried making paper cartridges. I just need more practice I guess. I will probably go with a suggestion from another forum. Make a paper funnel. Am going to try that 1st.
Happy Shooting!!! :D

VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Probably the easiest answer. You could also solder a funnel into a brass tube cut to whatever length you want like a shorter drop tube if you had that ability.