Musket cap variation

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
lexington1

Musket cap variation

Post by lexington1 »

What does everyone use for musket caps? I've tried the old CCI caps and they worked great, but I have been told to stay away from the new CCI's. I also tried some old RWS caps, and they too worked great. Yesterday I tried some of the newer RWS cap in the plastic box and they were complete junk. They would not ignite the charge. I went back and grabbed some of the old RWS caps I had and no problems. Have any of you tried the Scheutzen musket caps?
George Babits

Re: Musket cap variation

Post by George Babits »

I have had dismal luck with the CCI musket caps. I think they are labled "Reenactor" or something like that. They work great in my musket and Maynard, but not in my Shiloh 54 infantry rifle or original Sharps carbine. Fortunately I have some German caps--Dunamit Nobel. Don't know what I'll do when they run our. Musket caps are hard to find out here. I am using chamber length nitrated paper cartridges with the back end closed off with a disc of cigarette paper.

George
lexington1

Post by lexington1 »

That sounds like the same load I'm using. I found some Schuetzen caps online and sent for them, but have not tried any yet. I'm hoping that they work better than the new CCI's.
wireman

Post by wireman »

I have used CCI , RWS & Schuetzen . My Maynard works with all of them but my shiloh sharps likes the Schuetzen the best .
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

My shiloh has never had any luck with CCI primers. 0 percent effective rate. All they seem to be good for is popping the initial charge through the nipple so it’ll shoot.

Incidentally does anyone know why you have to do that or is it just me. Won’t shoot until a second cap regardless of musket cap brand. Except CCI which don’t ever work.

Anyways, I’ve got some shutzen ones coming in the mail today so I’ll report back. Only other ones I’ve tried are what’s left of my old Vorderland and they work great. Wish those were still made. I don’t see why the shutzen won’t work though. I’ve seen good reviews.
—Tom
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Snapping a cap before loading is to clear any oil out of the flash channel. That should always ve done with any percussion firearm. With the smaller #11 caps of today snapping a cap becomes problematic because sometimes the foil in the cap will plug the nipple. The older caps had something different in them that never plugged the nipple. I've never seen that happen with musket caps.

George