Rapine 54 cal Bullets

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
John Drolet

Rapine 54 cal Bullets

Post by John Drolet »

I've contacted Dixie and they are out of the .54 cal ringtail bullets. Aside from Dixie, is there another source for cast .54 cal Rapine ringtail bullets?

Is there any member of this forum who is willing to part with 50 home cast ringtails (for a consideration, of course)?

Thanks
subgunner

Post by subgunner »

1stregtengr

ringtail

Post by 1stregtengr »

Any experience casting? You can usually pick up a used mold for about $50-70 over at the N-SSA website.
Todd Birch

lead

Post by Todd Birch »

John

Casting big bore bullets is not cost effective.

Invest in some casting equipment and you'll never look back .....
That or cultivate a VERY good friend who'll do it for you!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
John Drolet

Post by John Drolet »

Thanking everyone for your help and suggestions. Per SubGunner, I did contact Midway and have 50 rds of Rapine ringtail on the way.

My logic in not just diving in and casting my own with a Rapine mold is that if I go through the 50 rounds of store-bought bullets and then decide that I want to do lots more shooting, then that's the time that I'll buy the mold--aside from the Rapine mold I have cast bullets for years and have a decent set-up.

So again--Thanks
mtnwinds

Post by mtnwinds »

Todd, when you said, "Casting big bore bullets is not cost effective. ", did you mean 'is' cost effective??
Todd Birch

Cost effective?

Post by Todd Birch »

Mtnwinds

I meant 'not' cost effective .... lead is a heavy substance to ship.

Considering the initial cost of retail bullets, plus S&H, it doesn't take long to pay for a bullet mould and the few tools necessary.
Presumbly, the shooter would have the means of reloading said bullets, so unless he simply wants to shoot a firearm for the sake of having done so, it's wiser to invest.

Most of us shoot more than just a few casual rounds, so casting is the way to go.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Todd Birch

????

Post by Todd Birch »

Mtnwinds

I just re-read my own posting ....

My fingers were in motion before my brain caught up. Obviously, casting IS cost effective compared to the purchase and shipment of store bought bullets.

Sorry 'bout that!
klw

Rapine

Post by klw »

Is Rapine still in business? Last time I talked to him I think he was in his mid-70's and that was years ago. If he is still around, why not just call him and buy direct?