'63 Sporter as ML

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

'63 Sporter as ML

Post by Todd Birch »

I've read that Sniders can be shot as ML's by replacing the firing pin with a nipple of the same thread and inserting a brass cartridge with a drilled out flash hole.
I'm toying with the idea of doing something similar with my .54 '63 Sporter.

A 50-70 case is a loose chamber fit and I'm thinking that a fire-formed case would make an exact chamber fit. Then I'd enlarge the flash hole in increments to get the optimum size.

This would enable me to ML .54 Minies and patched round ball when I don't have made up paper cartridges on hand.

Kirk once warned '63 shooters not to load with loose powder and ball as it causes 'cavitation' the face of the gas plate. This sounds like a way of shooting a '63 with loose powder and avoiding that as a potential problem.

Comments?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd and others,

That is the only way we can use our paper cartridge Sharps in Idaho during the "Short Range Weapons Season." Draconic rules let a scoped rifled shotgun or an In-Line ML, bow or cross bow, but not my '63 used with a paper cartidge. However, to ML was part of Mr. Sharps selling points if memory serves me right reading Sellers.

Gregg
Todd Birch

ML a Sharps

Post by Todd Birch »

Gregg

Interesting ....

Give me a page in Seller's book re: ML a Sharps. I'm trying to make a case for being allowed to shoot mine with the local BP 'Feathers & Leathers" crowd.

The Sharps lacks a recessed crown, so it would be very easy to 'ding' the muzzle. Something to be very mindful of.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gmartin

Post by gmartin »

Todd,

I find pictures, many, of early models with a "wiping rod" in Sellers, which proves nothing. I read a testimonial, perhaps from a sales rep or otherwise user somewhere. Looking hard.

Gregg