Shooting 'New' Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

halfslow I beleave the pedi is a springsteel washer that should act the same as the o-ring. I would beleave this would work the same as a sping steel washer on a RCBS mould Would keep pressure but allow for heat build up . I have yet to have a problem w/ the neoprime o-rings. I would have thought they would detererate from the heat and flame but they don't. w/ firing 15-20 rounds in a five mintie timed event I have never had a problem w/ opening the action. only time it has ever started to get hard to open is if I broke rounds open while loading and the powder and filler got in around the block as i wiped it off to keep the exposed powder from igniting from the next cap. Just about every one that shoots a sharps in the N-SSA uses one of thes methods.
Todd Birch

'63 mods

Post by Todd Birch »

Dave

Yes, thank you for the pictures! Worth a thousand words .....

I was a little confused at first, thinking you reduced the rear surface of the gas plate. Now I undertand that you were referring to the tapered cone ring that projects into the breech block cavity.

This too good an idea not to try! Gotta find some of those square 'O' rings.

Two out of the three gas plates of my '63s show 'cavitation' of the face developing. One is a recent replacement! When I ordered it, I was warned that it would be a challenge to fit as they come slightly over size. Boy, was he right ....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Sorry for not getting back to you guys but I was away at my daughter's in Kentucky. The other fellows have covered the "O" ring topic better then I could. I change my "O" ring about every 200 shots. They are so cheap, only a couple pennies each.

Rich