Need advise on my 1863

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
catfish101

Need advise on my 1863

Post by catfish101 »

Hello, I have enjoyed this forum.

I have a Farmer 1863, sn# 713, in 45. It is a carbine. 22in barrel.

I want to start shooting this gun. I shoot allot but I am not experienced with these old guns. What would you guys suggest I start with as far as powder, bullets, primers ect. Shoot loose powder or make cartridges.

Thanks Chris.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Chris,

Sorry that nobody has responded to your question but I guess we do not have experience with a 45 cal model '63. I would make two general suggestions though. First try some 45 cal bullets made for the cartridge guns. 400 grain bullets would be a good place to start with a round nose. Just drop the bullet into the chamber with the muzzle pointed down, seat the bullet with a dowel so that it's fully into the chamber, then pour FFG powder into the chamber until it's full. Close the breech, cap and shoot.

The other suggestion is to have a custom bullet mold maker make a ringtail, Christmas tree style bullet like the ones we use in the 54 cal '63s. Then, either load like above, with loose powder or make paper cartridges attached to the bullet.

Try option 1 first to see what bullet weight and diameter your gun might like best. Then decide if you want a mold made.

Good luck.

Rich
catfish101

Post by catfish101 »

Thanks Rich. I have some 405 grain bullets that we cast for a 45/70.

I going to get it out and have at it soon. Evidently this gun in .45 isn't that common. It is sn# 713 so it must be one of the first. I did talk to a lady at Shiloh a couple of years ago and she thought that there were 1000 or 1500 made in Farmingdale but she didn't have the paperwork from that far back handy. She was very polite BTW.

I will play with it. I have enjoyed this forum and picked up allot of good info. I would like to get hooked with some other shooters in my area sometime. I live in KY.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Chris,
What town in Ky. My daughter lives in Winchester, just to the east of Lexington.

Rich
Todd Birch

45 '63 Carbine

Post by Todd Birch »

Catfish

Been away from the site lately - shooting!

I've only seen one .45 '63 and I recall it having a really whippy barrel compared to my .50's and .54.

If I had a '63 in .45, I'd start with a 405-420 gr bullet and whatever powder the chamber would hold. Let us know how much it will hold.

I just checked, and the paper tubes I got from Charlie Hahn let me socket a sized and lubed 45-70 bullet just fine. Cutting the tubes to length, charging them with powder and seating a bullet would make into a really good paper cartridge.

Seat a bullet and measure from the base to the end of the chamber. Charlie can supply tubes custom cut to that length.

Have fun!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
catfish101

Post by catfish101 »

Rich, I live north of Louisville about 25 miles.

I will let you guys know about the powder amount.

Do you guys shoot pure lead or a mixture. What about wheels weights melted down?
Todd Birch

lead

Post by Todd Birch »

Catfish

I'm not religious about my lead mix. I get free wheel weights and I was gifted with a supply of scrap plumbers lead, both of which I melted down into ingots using a mini-muffin tin.

This lets me control the alloy for reasonable consistency and I have settled on a 4 to 10 ratio - four lead to 10 wheel weight. This gives me a bullet that I can mark with a thumbnail and all my BPCRs shoot well with it.

I have friends who shoot 100% wheel weights in their BPCRs and are happy with that, but I out shoot them. I've shot them with smokeless and they work in that application.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
catfish101

Post by catfish101 »

Todd,

I have a few hundred pounds of wheel weights and about 20 lbs of pure lead. I make my own sinkers for fishing. I will play with a mixture and see hows it works out.

Thanks Chris
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Chris,

Like Todd, I use an alloy in my carbine. It's a soft alloy but I don't know the exact mix. Guess I'm not the most scientific shooter but the gun hits what I point it at, although sometimes I don't point it at the target.

Rich