So how bad did I get fleeced and what do I need to know?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
JConnerley

So how bad did I get fleeced and what do I need to know?

Post by JConnerley »

Howdy! Well I just bought (haven't received it yet) an 1863 Shiloh Sharps .54 Sporting Rifle, sn 777# from Buffalo Arms for $1500. Shiloh tells me it was built Jun through Aug of 1986. Buffalo Arms listed it as 97% and in excellent mechanical condition. I do have an inspection period so all is not lost if they were overly optimistic in those evaluations. UPS says it should be here on the 15th.

So given that it is in good shape what do I need to know as someone that hasn't owned a Sharps before? I have ordered a paper cartridge kit from Shiloh and they are also sending me a manual. I have poked around here a bit as well. I am thinking about just ordering bullets from Buffalo Arms to start (I should have done that when I bought the rifle :oops: ), should I get a blow tube as well? I have read here that some use a 50-70 blow tube, would that be the best size? I have also read here that the Shiloh manual may not be the best, is there a good write up on full disassembly of these weapons? Are there any specific spare parts I should buy? Recommended cleaning materials? Something else I am forgetting to ask?
Thanks in advance,
Jason Connerley

By the way I am fairly thick skinned so you won't hurt my feelings :wink: After doing some research after this "impluse" buy I am not sure it was the right thing to do but hey, if the rifle is in good shape and is a shooter then it's probably all good.
cjensen

Post by cjensen »

I tried to buy that one and it was sold. I quess that would be to you. BACO is very good at their descriptions. I bought my first Sharps from them on cosignment. Can't give you any advice, never owned a 63.
snapcap14

cleaning

Post by snapcap14 »

54 cal jag, 54 cal brush or a 16ga shotgun brush. blow tube never used one. If you think you need to clean it on the line just run the brush thru it.
If you think you need more cleaning use a pathch on the brush w/ some rusty duck black powder cleaner. I can run at least 15 rounds thru my carbine w/ out brushing it out. when done for the day I pull the block and clean it out w/ hot soapy water.
Papr cart. I find the sharps paper to heavy to burn completly plus I found the musket cap flame w/ not burn thru consitantly I roll it into a tube the lenfgth I need then put a pcs of perm paper on the ign end. ( I don't over size mine so there is no cutting by the breach block when it closes) roll your own from either cig. papers or perm papers.
or if you don't want to do that buy charlies tubes they work great w/ a ringtail bullet.
JConnerley

Post by JConnerley »

Thanks for the answers so far. CJensen, I bought it sort of on impluse ("If I sell this and this I can buy that without the 2 year wait") and it looks like none too soon! That said Ihope you find one soon. My "handle' on most boards is sharps54 as is my email account because I have always wanted a percussion Sharps. 10 years ago or so I figured if I made that my "internet" name I would hurry up and buy one. Something always came up so I jumped on this when I knew I could make it happen.

Snapcap14, good info! I was planning on trying Charlie's tubes as I am trying to get involved with the N-SSA as wel speak. I know I can't use this rifle but like I mentioned in the PM it just gives me a reason to buy more...

So if it is in good shape everyone feels that was a decent price?
Jason
JConnerley

Post by JConnerley »

Well it came today! I'll post pics tomorrow but all in all I am happy with it. There was some leading in the bore and the last owner apparently hadn't taken the nipple out in a while but after a little work (filing the burrs on the edges of the nipple) we got it off. A friend who owns a 1874 Shiloh (don't know if he posts here or not) helped me out in taking it down and inspecting it. We got the breech block totally disassembled and it cleaned up fine, there was the beginning of rust in the nipple "hole" but it cleaned right out. The bore cleaned up fine and looks great. There is a little ding in the crown but I don't think it is enough to matter. I'll get it clean up anyhow.

The only really bad thing is that someone had used the wrong screwdrivers and "buggered" about half the screws heads! The hammer screw especially looks like crap because it looks like they polished it down to clean up thier mess. I am going to call Shiloh tomorrow to special order a complete set of screws for a 1863 Sporter so I can replace these. I will probably have to wait until they do another 1863 run but that's OK, these work they just don't look great. The wood and case hardening on the other hand is beautiful!

The last thing is the nipple and the "nipple hole" (where the nipple screws into the breech block, sorry for using the wrong name) both show a little erosion in the form of slightly irregularly shaped holes. I will be ordering another nipple when I order the screws but I think the breech block is OK. The plate has some marking but no pitting, I think it is fine. Like I say I'll get some photos up tomorrow of all this for you guys to comment on. All in all for a 22 year old black powder rifle it looks really good, except for the screws. I don't think I got a steal at $1500 but I think the price was decent now that I have it at home.

I do have a request, before I run out and spend money on bullet moulds I was hoping to be able to try some bullets from different moulds to see what works best. Is there anyone that is willing to sell me some bullets from their mould so I can try a "sample pack"? We slugged the bore (all we had was a .530 round ball we flattened a bit in a vise) and came up with .5420 to .5425 for bore size but I really need to try again with a slightly larger conical. I have ordered bullets from Buffalo Arms but they are on back order for the next 2 to 4 weeks. I have also disregarded the blowtube idea and will stick with cleaning between shots.

Jason
Todd Birch

'New' Sharps Sporter

Post by Todd Birch »

Jason

Congratulations on your 'new' rifle! You can't be a real 'SharpShooter' and not have at least one percussion '63. I've got three, one of them a current '63 Sporter. I'd like it better if it was in .50, not .54.

I think you paid top dollar for your rifle, especially considering the screws and other minor problems. I just acquired a pristine Farmingdale '63 carbine through trade. In cash, it would have been $1100 CDN.

You are getting good advice from the guys on the forum, and are going to be on a steep learning curve as you master the art of making cartridges and shooting the '63.

I've been scanned an old Shiloh manual that covers everything on the care and feeding of a '63. I think it's out of print, but needs to be put back into circulation. I told guys that I'd copy it to them, but the resolution is not good enough.
If you read through the archives on this forum page, you'll find a lot of answers to questions you haven't yet asked.

One thing that will surprise you is the amount of powder the chamber will hold! I could get 100-110 grs behind a .54 ringtail bullet in mine and that, my friend, is a lot! I've also shot loads that consisted of 95 grs and a ring tail that were a little less punishing, but have settled on 75 grs as optimum. Accurate and not a thumper.
Using Charlie's tubes lets you step down to a more civilized powder charge, with or without a filler. Try using an onion skin paper for your cartridges. Put a piece of paper towel or double thickness of TP in the base for good ignition. Nitrating paper isn't worth the trouble, in my experience.

I use my 50-70 blow tube and occasionally wet swab the chamber, especially if using rolled paper cartridges.

I don't think your Sporter is eligible for NSSA competition as a civilian pattern, better check. If I get a moose draw this year, I'd like to flatten a moose with my .54.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
snapcap14

NSSA

Post by snapcap14 »

Nope only mil. type carbine and rifle 59's and 63's
have 3 diffrent bullet types I can send if i haven't already.
Nei 381 flat base weight 430, nei 383 ringtail 490 but actualy puts out a 516 in pure lead and a brooks 63 flat base the weighs in at 440 i think can also send you a few of the tubes i roll for the 381 and brooks and a few of charlies that fit the 383
pm me w/ address I just request postage once they get there.
JConnerley

Post by JConnerley »

snapcap14,
I'm using the handle "sharps54" on the N-SSA board and I gave you my address over there.

Todd,
Thanks for the advice, I have been reading the old posts here as I have time and you are right, there is some great info. I knew this rifle was not approved for N-SSA but I have a Pedersoli 1859 carbine inbound that will be. :P I guess Buffalo Arms considered the screws part of the 3% when they gave this the 97% rating. :( Oh well, now that it is in hand and otherwise mechanically sound I'll keep it. Heck I have overspent (and undersold) guns before, it's only money. Don't let my wife hear me say that!

I have found my camera really isn't up to the job. I'll have a pic or two up later today but they aren't very good. I'm going to see if I can find a local buddy that has a better set up.

Jason
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Besides the buggered up screws its a beauty. Nicer looking wood and metal than my 1990 vintage, 1874 #3 sporter. It wasn't a steal, but with the optional factory checkering and the added Marble's tang sight, I think it was a fair deal. BTW, just to be clear that .542"-.5425" measurement was groove diameter, not bore diameter :wink:

Steve

PS - Thanks to Jason, I now realize that I need a percussion model also :shock:
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Jason,

Don't worry about the nipple hole being elongated. Mine was and I put a new nipple in just before a match and got 25% misfires. I took a small file and opened up the nipple in an oval shape and he gun has shot great since then. Many Shiloh's Ive seen don't like a new nipple.

Rich
JConnerley

Post by JConnerley »

Rich, thanks for the advice about the nipple, I do want to stock up some extra parts but I'll try it like it is and see how she does. I'm sure it hundreds more caps left to "bust" before I need to replace it.

Steve, thanks for pointing out that I meant to type groove diameter, my mistake! :oops: I'll have some bullets in a week or so and we'll go out and shoot this, they you'll definitely have to buy an 1863! :twisted: Maybe when we get together you can help me take some photos I can post, the pics of your Lyman on the other site look great.
Jason
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You guys near me? I'd like to see how you run that gun, if possible. I've thought about one for YEARS, even trying to build a wooden model when I was a kid.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Hobie,

I'm in Fredericksburg, Jason is a little north of me. We are going to the N-SSA regional meet Saturday new Winchester. If he picks up some bulllets for the .54 tomorrow we might go shooting on Sunday. I'll bring my '74 model Shiloh.

Steve
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
JConnerley

Post by JConnerley »

Hobie,
I've sent you a PM. Whenever we can arrange it you are welcome to shoot my 1863 Shiloh and the Pedersoli 1859 Carbine that I have coming. Now I just need a Shiloh 1863 Percussion Military Rifle (and depending on how the Italian shoots an 1863 Shiloh Military Carbine) and I can move on to collect those new fangled rifles that use metallic cartridges! Thing is I hear they are a just a fad... :D
Jason
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

One word of advice Stay away from the armi sport 59-63 carbines
bout one new about 4-5 years ago at that time they were about $500.
sent it back twice when i first got it problem was never fixed to my liking.
so i put another 300 into it. to fix the problems problem 1 was it hammer did not clear the nipple
2when it did and the cap went off half the time it would not fire. 3 the bore was about 560+. WEll now after all the fustration i final own a shiloh. which is what i wanted in the first place.
Bottom line shiloh or nothing. everything is made here and the parts will fit an original. Which will be my next gun some day.