pet load

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
snapcap14

pet load

Post by snapcap14 »

Ok guys
I have a load using 3fffg for my Shiloh sharps w/ 3 diff bullets so load w/ 3ffg is no problem
but my other sharps not a shiloh had loads developed useing a 2ffg
So anybody have a load/ bullet combo, they like w/ 2ffg in there shiloh.
whey switch when i have something that works simple I have 5lbs of 2ffg.
yes i will try my 2ffg load w/ the bullet it was developed with.. but the other molds are new to my collection and want to test these too.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I shoot 50 grains of FFG GOEX and a 490 grain Rapine ringtail Christmas tree bullet. I use a nitrated paper cartridge glued to the ring of the bullet.

Rich
Jim Mulligan

Post by Jim Mulligan »

I shoot 45g 2F and a custom ringtail bullet from Steve Brooks in a cardboard tube manufactured by Charlie Hahn.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

thanks guys the one mold is an NEI 490 ring tail the other is a brooks but w the flat base.
how did things go for ya in VA. held my own in team events but could'nt get out of the low 80's in individules.can't complain my fault first time i pick up a gun since the fall. gose to prove you get out of it what you put in.
Jim Mulligan

Post by Jim Mulligan »

We were host staff (Rich and I).
1stregtengr

'63 Sharps load

Post by 1stregtengr »

use 64 gr 1 1/2 Swiss/ puff lon filler with the Charlie Hahn tubes made to 1.875, and the raphine ringtail. Better groups at 200 than most of my 03s, and a great N-SSA rifle. little hot for the 50 & 100 yd events but one hole accuracy.

BTW Jim & Rick great nationals, appreciate your efforts.
Jim Mulligan

Post by Jim Mulligan »

Thanks, we had top shelf leadership.
snapcap14

Re: '63 Sharps load

Post by snapcap14 »

1stregtengr wrote:use 64 gr 1 1/2 Swiss/ puff lon filler with the Charlie Hahn tubes made to 1.875, and the raphine ringtail. Better groups at 200 than most of my 03s, and a great N-SSA rifle. little hot for the 50 & 100 yd events but one hole accuracy.

BTW Jim & Rick great nationals, appreciate your efforts.
THANK
But ONLY looking for 2 FFG LOADS W/ A MOLD I HAVE ON HAND. either the Nei 490 ringtail NEi 440 #381 flate base or brooks flate base.the brooks and 381 will not hake charlies tubes.
64 of anything is to much for me. my chamber w/ a ringail only takes a 1 1/2" lg charles tube.
But thanks.
have some puff lon thied it in my 44-40 loads it did not like it group opened way up. 1/2" group to 6" at 50yrds. i would need to find a new load using it.
I may just stay w/ 3fffg swiss and use what is left of the 2ffg in my other sharps or my musket. I already have loads that work in them from when i forgot to pick up 3fffg last sping at the nationals and never made it to the vets.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

1 Stregtengr, did you shoot in the single shot match Friday afternoon? I was watching a four person team (3 men and 1 lady) shoot at the right end of the line. I was up on tower duty. The team was armed with Shiloh '63 rifles. Seemed to me that the Ballards are faster to load but I overheard some of the men with them talking about problems they have with the originals. Guess you can't return a broken gun to the manufacturer for warranty repair.

Rich
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

all I know is it wasn't much fun tring to find the morter round where we were
i know one team still short one.