Loose powder vs Paper cartridge

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
bakerj

Loose powder vs Paper cartridge

Post by bakerj »

A second question. Between loose powder and paper cartridge, which is more accurate? With a muzzle loader you have to make sure the powder is tightly packed, sounds like that is not as important in the percussion Sharps (since voids are left in the breech block behind the sealing plate and in front of the counterbore cylinder). I does sound as though loose powder can cause problems if not carefully loaded and grains fall into the breech block. Again, will appreciate advice and counsel. Tnks
JimB
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Both wor the same for me if loading losse make sure you seat the bullet well. I use a shot road w/ a 52 cal jag on it. rmember my sharps is is a 54 cal.
My armi sport i can fire 15 rounds w/o cleaning. my breach bolck never get tight to the point it will not open, and very seldem dose the chamber get fould out enough that I can not load a round.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
1stregtengr

loose or powder

Post by 1stregtengr »

I shoot a 63 Shiloh in 54 cal. I use the Charlie Hahn cardboard tubes and a Raphine ringtail with 64 Gr swiss. This load provides outstanding accuracy even at 200 yds. I shoot it at NSSA and do not have any breech fouling problems for the competition which is about 30 shots.
snapcap14

Re: loose or powder

Post by snapcap14 »

1stregtengr wrote:I shoot a 63 Shiloh in 54 cal. I use the Charlie Hahn cardboard tubes and a Raphine ringtail with 64 Gr swiss. This load provides outstanding accuracy even at 200 yds. I shoot it at NSSA and do not have any breech fouling problems for the competition which is about 30 shots.
I hope you mean all 5 events for the carbine team not per event. :roll: :lol: :lol:
Just started trying charlies tubes. been using them for practice but not for individules and team events yet. got enough perm papers and nitrate to last another 5 years i think. 2000 papres divide in half that 4000 rounds i can make up. and about 8lbs of nitrate.bought 5 lbs then some one gave me 3lbs about a month later.
1stregtengr you going to the vets. did not make it last year hope to get there is year.
you using 64grn just because of the 200yrd thing. the Shiloh I now have Per the previous owner was shooting well w/ 45 gr 3fffg w/ the repine ringtail. Ive got a NEI Ringtail that weighs 490. and a bullet that Steve brooks made for me that weighs 439 I like the light loads personaly for several reasons.And I never shoot over 100. ahave a nice group at 100yrds w/ the armi sport w/ the light load.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

BakerJ

I shoot nitrated copier paper in my Shiloh '63 carbine. 490 grain Rapine ringtail, Christmas bullet with 50 grains of FFG GOEX. I've tried using the plastic tubes where you put the powder into the tube and then put the ringtail section of the bullet onto the end of the tube. When loading, you put the bullet end into the breech and lightly force the bullet into the rifling, then twist the bullet off and let the powder pour into the breech. No powder escapes into the action. I never got as good accuracy as with the paper cartridges but other N-SSA competitors, who shoot high scores, like that tubes.

Rich
1stregtengr

loose or tube

Post by 1stregtengr »

Snapcap,
Yes that is for the whole match, usually 4 events, it is also a 3 band that I shoot in the SS breech loader class. Action works as easy on the last shot as the first. It shoots better at 200 than most of my 03 springfields. I'de like to find a Shiloh carbine at a good price, I believe I'de retire my Smith
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Rick
what unit you with? were you at Saratoga. I"M not connecting the name to face.
1stregtengr
Not sure if i will do a 3 band sharps for SS or theSmoothbore next.
bakerj
accuracy I do not have a problem either way as long as the bullet is seated.
paper or charlies tubes are they way to go for comp shooting my 2 cents.
loose powder on the breech. had papers brake open a few times when loading. wipe the powder off and shot. the sides, back of block and frame linkage are so greased up it has never been a problem. the grease just soaks into the power if any gets around the block. I pull my block and clean around the fore arm after the weekend is over. do not beleave anything I have ever seen there would ignite. always just a grease mess
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

SnapCap,

My N-SSA team is Gen. Sherman's Bodyguard from the Mid-West Region. I use to live in Ohio and was a member of the team for five years before moving to Maine. Now I just shoot with them at the Nationals and one or two other skirmishes when I drive back to Ohio. I'm trying to shoot with the New England region when I can find the time.

Rich
bakerj

Cardboard tubes

Post by bakerj »

Again, thanks for the responses. I am going to contact Charlie Hahn and ask if he makes/can make a tube for the Pedersoli .451. Your answers pose a couple more questions: 1. Don't the cardboard tubes clog up the breech? How do you get the remains out? 2. Several people have commented on using a 'ringtail' bullet. What is that, where can I get a picture to see what the bullet looks like and where can I get more information (supplier web site?).
JimB
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

1] no they do not they disinagrate and go.
2] got to Shilohs siite cliick on links got to steve brooks site and go to the 63 mold there is a photo of a flat base and ringtail. If you need a 451 I assume steve can make it. best to ask him. can also check NEI hand tools they may have it in 451 I do not know.
I will also assume you will need to cast your own. I know you can buy 540 don't know about 451. I'm sure some one else will reply to that.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

Post by bakerj »

Thanks, snapcap, will try the sites you suggest.
JimB