Rolling your own and nitrated papers

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
bakerj

Rolling your own and nitrated papers

Post by bakerj »

I have a Pedersoli 45 cal 1859 percussion Sharps and have started rolling paper cartridges using the nitrated papers Pedersoli sells. Only problem is the partially burned shell is left in the chamber so I have to drive out each one with a cleaning rod. Someone on this site recommended vellum paper and I have bought some to try. However, someone recommended I still treat vellum with nitrate. My question, where do you get nitrate and is that the name it is known by? Does it come as a powder you mix with water to soak the paper in?
As suggested here, I talked with Charlie Hahn- only problem, he only has tubes for 54 cal. He said he would look into making them for 45 but I thought I might experiment for a while.
Will appreciate any help and advice.
JimB
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

potassium nitrate =salt petre. easies place is ebay.
don't weary about the unburnt paper just push the next round in. if it won't go use a brush on a short rod. and just clean the chamber. paper in the barrel will not hurt anything. Hair purm papers or curler end papers work well. Cigerette papers need not be nitrated but cost alot more.
I like tracing paper for the fact it is stiffer and easier to glue the bullet to.
perm an cigerette papers burn completely.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

salt petre

Post by bakerj »

Thanks snapcap, will try ebay. Yes, I've got cigarette papers and use those as endcaps but also felt they would be too thin if I'm gluing bullet. If vellum doesn't work will try tracing paper. A question, assume salt petre is a powder and you mix w/ water. If so, in what proportions?
JimB
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

heat the water desolve the Sp into it until it will take no more
also look up nitrating paper. when i get home i will list the site that has directions
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

Thanks

Post by bakerj »

Snapcap, as always, appreciate the help, great articles. And, of course I was using white glue so will have to try to find what Water Glass is??

Regards, Jim Baker
JimB
snapcap14

water glass

Post by snapcap14 »

sodium silicate solution> it is actual the same stuff that holds you bar of soap together.
you can get it from the chemistrystore.com
I like it beter than every thing else i tried.
beleave it only comes in gal bottles I have about 3 qts left
1qt along w/ 1lb of potasium lasted about 5 years.
once you nitrate paper put the rest of the solution in a jar for te next time. add more water and more nitrate to the mix as you need it
? did you ask about the o-ring mod if so did you get an ansewer?
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

Oring Mod

Post by bakerj »

Snapcap, I did't ask about the mod this time. I still have your pictures of the mod you had done to your breech block gas seal plate and your chamber sleeve (you sent those to me two or three weeks ago). The gas leakage on the Pedersoli isn't bad and shooting Pyrodex I am getting 25+ rounds & the breech block is still fairly free so I am going to keep working with it as is for a while. If that doesn't work then I will think about getting a gunsmith and trying your mods. Right now I want to get some skill in paper cartridges and a load/process that gives me accuracy (I'm still learning how to shoot the thing)- the challenge and learning experience is fun. Again, tnks for your help, Jim Baker
JimB