Removable chamber sleeve

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
wwpete52

Removable chamber sleeve

Post by wwpete52 »

Does anyone know if all breechloading Sharps have a removable chamber sleeve? How about the those made in Italy?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

Shilohs are not most italians are not. at least armisport and IAB.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

Pedersoli Chamber Sleeve

Post by bakerj »

WW- I have a Pedersoli 45 cal. That has a sliding chamber sleeve but it is not removable. In answer to an earlier question of mine, Kirk at Shiloh said that theirs do not have a chamber sleeve and that was the way the originals were built.
What make do you have. Apparently it has a removable sleeve?
Regards, JimB
JimB
wwpete52

Post by wwpete52 »

Actually, I just sold a IAB .54 caliber Sharps Sporting Rifle to a fellow that thought the sleeve chamber was removable. He couldn't get it out. I told him that I thought that it had a "fixed" sleeve. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't wrong. Thanks.
WV SCROUNGER

Sliding chamber sleeve in I.A.B. '63 sharps

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

Wally...ya got it all wrong pard...its a " sliding" chamber sleeve that I was wondering about..It is not supposed to come totally out, but "slide" toward the hammer.....
if the '63 I.A.B. Sporting Sharps had a sliding one ....it must be cleaned after shooting it it will freeze yo due to powder residue. Once frozen it will no longer preform its function which is to Provide a gas seal ...
very important function! Thats why I have been inquiring Everywhere about the model...
from what I have been told ..the " newer" guns post 2000 bave a 'FIXED" sleeve that is not supposed to "slide"
Now .......I must dated this gun to see how old it is...
the serial # is 53xxx......I dont know how many of these I.A.B. made or how long the company has been in buisness....but a low serial like that makes me think the gun aint " new" ENOUGH TO HAVE THE " FIXED" SLEEVE.....
..Nothing personal...but this is becomming a PITA !!
AND THE I.A.B. company wont answer emails.......I guess they only speak ITALIAN! :lol:
Smokin Gun

Post by Smokin Gun »

The 63 Armi Sport Sharps Cav .54 I have has a removable gas check sleeve. Remove the breech block and out it comes. IAB have a floating sleeve that is only removeable if you remove the barrel first.
Don't know about the newer ones.
Anyone knowing a source for the sleeve removal tool(Expandaned stick) please let me know.

SG
"My Favorite Rifles '63 Sharps Cav .54 papercutter, '73 Springfield TD, & H&R Buffalo Classic in .45-70"
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

I have made a few of the removal tools. I need to know the chamber diameter.

Charlie
Charlie Hahn
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

My Pedersoli 3 band infantry rifle has a sliding sleeve, but its too long to be removed.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

I have sen some like this. There is a fix. I take the barrel off, remove the sleeve, and either make a new sleeve and shrink fit it in and make a short sleeve at the back that is spring loaded with an o-ring, or if you want to keep the removiable sleeve, I take it out and machine it into two pieces with an O-ring between the two parts, then it can be talen out in two pieces.

Charlie
Charlie Hahn
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

ndnchf, I think you and I have the same type of 1859 Ped. Your not supposed to be able to remove that sleeve. Are you haveing trouble cleaning it ? If so let me know and I'll tell you how to clean it and the rest of the rifle real easy. My rifle is extremely accurate out to 125 yds. I get about ten shots out of it before I have to spray the block. I have found that my rifle likes Clean Shot better than BP, triple 7, or Pyrodex. I also use the Lyman mini. Charlie's split sleeve with the spring in the middle and the O-ring facing the block sounds real good if fyou have sealing problems when shooting.

Ken
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I've had no trouble cleaning mine. It also seals pretty good using the plumber's putty method. It really is too bad the Italians didn't following the original design which actually works quite well.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Nick Florio

Gas sleeves

Post by Nick Florio »

I have several Italian sharps (IAB, Armi Sport and Pedersoli). The best fit and finished it the pedersoli but it is also the worst when it comes to firing ammo without gumming up the breach block so it wont open.

They all have supposedly movable (some are removeable) chamber sleaves. I had The sleeve in the Pedersoli replaced with a two piece one with an O ring inbetween. This decreased gas leakage and increased by 4 times the number of rounds I could fire without the breach block getting too hard to operate. The other rifles I own will all shoot 40 rounds or more without gumming up the breach block to in operability. This I attribute solely to the gas plate in the breach block being of the original Sharps configuration not the simple hole like the Pedersolis. One of these days I hope to get a Shiloh infantry rifle and sell all the others I picked up while Shiloh was not making them.
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

Hi Nick,

How is the sleeve on the Ped. with the O-ring to clean ? I was thinking of selling my Ped. ever since I got a Shiloh Farmingdale 1863, but its so accurate that I just can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Ken