Pedersoli 1859 sharps

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

Pedersoli 1859 sharps

Post by klw »

Pedersoli lists on their web page the "cartridge cases" for their Sharps rifles. Anyone have experience using these? If so, do they greatly reduce the blackpowder fouling and hence significantly extend the time the guns can be shot before freezing up from fouling?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

only thing I have heard is if or when they stick you need either a curved pick to put in the flash hole to pull it out or a cleaning rod to knock it out from the bore end.
they also only work w/ the ped they were designed for.
personnly If I wanted to shoot a percussion cart. gun I would buy a smith or maynard.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
klw

Post by klw »

snapcap14 wrote:only thing I have heard is if or when they stick you need either a curved pick to put in the flash hole to pull it out or a cleaning rod to knock it out from the bore end.
they also only work w/ the ped they were designed for.
personnly If I wanted to shoot a percussion cart. gun I would buy a smith or maynard.
Got an original Burnside, Gwynn & Campbell and Starr. Have replicas in a Gallagher, Henry, Maynard and Smith.

I've got a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-120 but was thinking about getting an 1863. But I had one years ago. Couldn't get five shots out of it before the blackpowder fouling would completely freeze the gun up. So I was hoping that these "cartridge cases" would eliminate that problem.

Know anyone who does the o-ring conversion of these guns?
snapcap14

yes

Post by snapcap14 »

O-ring mod. = bobby hoyt, Charlie Hahn, and a few others. But i forget there names
go to the N-SSA board and ask. They Will know the otheres.
I can give you Bobbys phone # and charlies Email address if you want them.
I think for 20$ the O-ring would be the way to go. ( local machinest can do it) its a mater of geting a o-ring that will fit then have the machinest take 1/3 of the thickness of the o-ring off the back of the plate where it slides into the block.
other option is to carry a spray bottel of water and give it a spray when it gets tight.
for me the best part of shooting the 59's 63's is the paper or charlies Hahns tubes.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
bakerj

Pedersoli Sharps Brass

Post by bakerj »

I have a Pedersoli 1863 sporting rifle in 45 cal. I am new to BP and new to this rifle. I have shot about 50-70 rounds; some with their brass and some with hand rolled paper. With the brass and BP I also get about 6-7 rounds before the breech block can barely be opened. On last outing I used paper with Pyrodex and after 25 rounds it was still opening ok. I am going out tomorrow and trying brass w/ 10 grains ff in bottom of case and 45 grains Pyrodex on top. Ideally, I want to shoot BP and paper cartridges so will continue to experiment. Charlie Hahn recommended high pressure grease #3 from McMaster Carr. I used that on my last outing but not sure how much reduced fouling affect was from that or Pyrodex. Good luck, I am interested in any ones advice on Pedersoli Percussion Sharps.
JimB
klw

Re: Pedersoli Sharps Brass

Post by klw »

bakerj wrote:I have a Pedersoli 1863 sporting rifle in 45 cal. I am new to BP and new to this rifle. I have shot about 50-70 rounds; some with their brass and some with hand rolled paper. With the brass and BP I also get about 6-7 rounds before the breech block can barely be opened. On last outing I used paper with Pyrodex and after 25 rounds it was still opening ok. I am going out tomorrow and trying brass w/ 10 grains ff in bottom of case and 45 grains Pyrodex on top. Ideally, I want to shoot BP and paper cartridges so will continue to experiment. Charlie Hahn recommended high pressure grease #3 from McMaster Carr. I used that on my last outing but not sure how much reduced fouling affect was from that or Pyrodex. Good luck, I am interested in any ones advice on Pedersoli Percussion Sharps.
Now that is really interesting! Thanks! So with the brass you are only getting about 6 or so shots before your Pedersoli freezes up? Doesn't seem as if the cases have helped much.

With an new Shiloh 1863 Military rifle, using loose powder how many shots before the gun freezes up?

And, generally, does Pyrodex limit this problem when compared to straight blackpowder?
1stregtengr

Shiloh '63 sharps

Post by 1stregtengr »

"With an new Shiloh 1863 Military rifle, using loose powder how many shots before the gun freezes up?"

shooting at N-SSA I never had a lock up problem with my shiloh using loose powder, but with charlie's tubes accuracy improved so much I wouldn't shoot without them. My 1863 rifle out shoots my 03's and M1's at 200 yds!
bakerj

Pedersoli Brass cases

Post by bakerj »

KLW- went shooting yesterday with both Ped brass cases and Paper cartridges I made up (I can tell you that vellum and computer paper don't work well). Yes, the brass cases don't solve the fouling problem- they might lessen it a little. Yesterday with the brass I triet 10 grains of BP in the case followed by 45 grains Pyrodex and used Pyrodex in the paper. I had no misfires. Breech block got tight after about 20 rounds. I have a spray bottle of Murphys, peroxide and alcohol I use with cleaning patches for my 54 cal Hawken ML- sprayed a little on four sides of the breech block and that loosened it right up. Also, I always have to knock out the brass cases with a cleaning rod after firing- Snapcap mentioned a hooked awl to get them from the back.
If you do the oring mods on a Pedersoli I will be very interested to see/hear the results.
JimB
klw

Re: Pedersoli Brass cases

Post by klw »

bakerj wrote:KLW- went shooting yesterday with both Ped brass cases and Paper cartridges I made up (I can tell you that vellum and computer paper don't work well). Yes, the brass cases don't solve the fouling problem- they might lessen it a little. Yesterday with the brass I triet 10 grains of BP in the case followed by 45 grains Pyrodex and used Pyrodex in the paper. I had no misfires. Breech block got tight after about 20 rounds. I have a spray bottle of Murphys, peroxide and alcohol I use with cleaning patches for my 54 cal Hawken ML- sprayed a little on four sides of the breech block and that loosened it right up. Also, I always have to knock out the brass cases with a cleaning rod after firing- Snapcap mentioned a hooked awl to get them from the back.
If you do the oring mods on a Pedersoli I will be very interested to see/hear the results.
Interesting. Thanks! So much for the brass cases solving the problem. According to Bill Goodman the Shiloh 1863's don't have this problem at all. Alas every time I've had the money for one they weren't available.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I would say just about every sharps (NOT ALL) and very make that is shot in the NSSA has had the O-ring done to it. IT worked great on the IAB I had and it works great on my armi sport.
If I knew how to post photo I would but I don't
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA