Now I am really confused.......

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
WV SCROUNGER

Now I am really confused.......

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

I am new to The Sharps rifles and trying just to get all the FACTS
Straight! But Now ...I am really confused....
I know that you guys are Shiloh shooters...please pardon me but I have a question....
I have heard that the C. Sharps is oneof the better choices..but I just found this auctionhttp://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem. ... um=8562294
where a C. sharps is offered as made by I.A.B.

CAN THIS BE TRUE? ......or does the seller have his Facts wrong?
I know someone here knows the true facts....
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Scrounger,
The I.A.B. is made by the Itallian firm Pedretti (do not confuse with Pedersoli who makes fine rifles, not quite up to Shiloh quality in my humble opinion, but still very fine rifles).

The Pedretti made rifles are not worth having. I know because I had one. I gave it away.

C. Sharps is another company located in Big Timber ( across the street from Shiloh) that also makes Sharps rifles. Their rifles are very fine, but, in my opinion, not up to the quality of Shiloh's. There are folks who would not agree with my opinion. But, if someone is advertising a " C. Sharps" and are saying it is an I.A.B. then they have their facts wrong. It is either a C. Sharps or it is not. If it is an I.A.B. then you would be wise to stay away from it.
Lee Stone
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I also beleave C Sharps dose not make a 63 or any percussion. All are Cart. guns
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
WV SCROUNGER

~ ~ ~ ~ 63 Sharps Update on the chamber sleeve

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

I finally got a reply from the I.A.B company about the problem I am having with the chamber sleeve...
ALL I.A.B. '63 Sharps rifles are made now and before whenever WITH
A SLIDING chamber sleeve !
I was informed by I.A.B Company and have thier email to PROVE IT!
Sooooo....
if any of you newbies to sharps paper cartridge guns get one and the sleeve in the chamber wont budge...even with the special removal tool...
Dont BUY THE B.S from anyone telling you that the sleeves are
"fixed" ( that is to say they wont slide)
The sleeves are made to slide,,,,,,,AND Must be cleaned UNDERNEATH after shooting the gun.....
if ya dont " clean" THE UNDERSIDE OF THE SLEEVE IT WILL become frozend in place and you will experience gas leakage and gas CUTTINg to the block plate......
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

let us know how it works out for you. I could never get the sleeve to move in my IAB. I bought mine used but from the looks of it It was not fired a lot. no wear on the face of the breach . no marks on the hammer from striking the nipple either.I had to have the gas check o-ring mod done to get a good seal.( could only get 5 rounds off before it would lock up on me). the guy that did it said there was no way I was ever going to get the sleeve to slide. NOw did the guy that had it before me not clean it propery I do not know but it was like new and clean when I got it.
How many round can you get off before the sleeve stops working and needs to be cleaned.
Would be nice to know that someone actualy got one that works properly.
Good luck and let us know.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

A fellow on my team has a carbine, Pedersoli I think, that has a sleeve that has not moved in years. He had the "O" ring modification done and the gun has fired well for many years.

Rich
WV SCROUNGER

I.A.B. Sharps sliding sleeve

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

Well...I soaked the sleeve for 3 days in Kerosene......I cut off a finger of a altex glove and placed it over the muzzle...then filled the barrel with kerosene and let it set for 1 week...the sleeve still wont Budge...
I cleaned her up and went to the range....I read in a lot of posts that silver antiseize grease smeared all over the entire block would stop the freezing up.....got some at the auto store and applied it to the block and under the plate and also the lever hinge...
AMAZING....50 shots and it wasnt even starting to bind up...
I was shooting heavy charges...70 to 110 grains FFF.
no gas cutting...no gas leakeage...but my shoulder is the yellow green bruise that I havent had since I was a kid.
So...I guess the sleeve is not supposed to slide....it sure was doing a great job of sealing....I guess I will keep shooting this way and if the plate starts to gas cut I will just replace it...its only $30 as opposed to the
$100 Pedersoli is chargeing.