Overall cartridge length

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
gizamo

Overall cartridge length

Post by gizamo »

Trying to decide if I am getting this right. Is there a way to roll your own paper cartridge to correct length. Should I be figuring how far back to set my bullet and marking my paper tube for rolling to a exact length. Or just barely closing the tube off and letting the charge get cut closing the action with excessive waste of powder....

What do you all do...?

Giz

'
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

push a bullet in put a dowel or pencil in behind it mark the lenght mesure it. Cut your paper long enough so u can gule the bullet to it and close the end off. you do not want to be cutting the paper and losing powder. that is a no no.
If you get tired of rolling your own charlie Hahn makes a combustable tube that works great. are easy to load and glue to.
I use both his tubes and the roll your own.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
gizamo

Post by gizamo »

Thanks, I'll give it a try...

I shot the gun with my handloaded cartridges today. As I thought, to much waste. So I will try the new improved version next week :wink:

Set a red clay pidgeon in the bank at a 100 yards. One fouling and ranging shot. Made a few adustments and lady luck was on my side. The second shot drilled it. Did realize after several more shots that cleaning the breach is a necessary thing.

All and all a wonderful day with my third Sharps rifle...

Giz
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

is it hard to load or hard to open the breach.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
gizamo

Post by gizamo »

snapcap14 wrote:is it hard to load or hard to open the breach.
After 4 rounds, very hard to open the breach, and impossible to get it out of the gun without lots of cleaning and soaking...

Giz
snapcap14

try one of these

Post by snapcap14 »

you can try using CMD extreme pressure Lube #3 can get it from McMasters. you can also if choose to live w/ having to spray the breach every few rounds. Most Sharps require the O-Ring mod. to cure the problem completly. I have owned 3 diffrent MFG 59-63s carbines(one IAB one armie sport I had done, the shiloh was done before I got it from a fellow skirmish who bought it new.) They all needed to have the O-ring done to get more than 5 rounds before they would start to freeze up. After the O-ring I can get well over 15 before I start to have any problems at all. (But I still carry a spray bottle to the line w/ me Just incase).
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
gizamo

Post by gizamo »

Mine is the most contradictary thing I have ever met. Its a sporter. While pretty to look at, she seems to be very picky about what I feed her. She handles like a dream and is fun to have around. But unlike others, she is very high maintenance and demanding. Seems like she is in control and not me...

Damn, my gun sounds a lot like Paris Hilton :lol:
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

gizamo wrote:Mine is the most contradictary thing I have ever met. Its a sporter. While pretty to look at, she seems to be very picky about what I feed her. She handles like a dream and is fun to have around. But unlike others, she is very high maintenance and demanding. Seems like she is in control and not me...

Damn, my gun sounds a lot like Paris Hilton :lol:
what make is she
make sure the bullet is well seated
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
gizamo

Post by gizamo »

snapcap,

Just kidding, I love that gun.....It shoots fine and is accurate as can be...

Pedersoli Sporter with the browned barrel....I already had an 59 and a Quigley in 45/90....so I am not new to Sharps style guns....

The Paris Hilton thing is true, though :P

giz
WV SCROUNGER

Sharps

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

Hey Giz....get some of the silver aint-seize grease at your local auto store.
I bought a 3 oz tube at Advance auto for $3.80. Put this grease on the sides of your block and under the plate and on the lever hinge...
I grease mine up like this and have shot 50 rounds non stop....no binding..at all
only reason I quit shooting was that my shoulder was sore and bruised....I was pounding out Christmas trees with 100 gr 3 FFF...OUCH!
THE antiseize is miraculous....to say the least!
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Hey Giz,

If you are planning to shoot more than a few, and want to get the breech open, you might want to consider a shor sleeve and fixing the pressure plate. I do a modification that can make the gun shoot all day.
Charlie Hahn
Charlie Hahn
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I use the anti-sieze also and it really works well. I carefully measured the capacity of my Pedersoli's chamber with an original ringtail style bullet in place, it was 55 gr. I make twisted tail paper cartridges with 53gr of FFG. The breech block cuts off the paper cleanly with virtually no powder spillage. Works very well for me. But I am going to try some of Charlie's tubes also.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Nick Florio

Post by Nick Florio »

Anti Seeze is the way to go. I use both the silver and copper anti seeze and I have shot up to 50 rounds from my sharps without any problems with gumming up. I liberally coat the slidding areas of the breach block and around both the floating chamber and gas plate with the stuff and just bang away.