Paper Cartridge Question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Preacher Clint

Paper Cartridge Question

Post by Preacher Clint »

I recall reading somewhere here where folks were getting better results and less fowling using un-nitrated papers with a base that was nitrated, rather than using all nitrated paper. Can't find the post now, but was hoping someone would enlighten me. Thanks.
Todd Birch

nitrated/un-nitrated paper

Post by Todd Birch »

I've tried both nitrated and un-nitrated paper with a single thickness paper towel base.
Can't say that the nitrated paper cartridges were any better. I've settled on onion skin as I have a lot of it and it leaves little residue.

I often see a bit of the overlapping, glued seam left in the chamber and a quick blow removes it. It's never smouldering, but I wouldn't want to take a chance.

I'm willing to bet that the shellacked linen cartridges of the era didn't give 100% combustion either, although the 'collodion' coating was probably pretty combustible.

Next time I make up some cartridges, I'm going to try newspaper, just to see how they compare.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Preacher Clint

Post by Preacher Clint »

Todd:

I had a friend in NSSA years ago that used newspaper quite successfully. Only thing was all the newsprint that got on his hands. I'm using primary school paper like the kids in kindergarten use to learn how to write.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I'm starting to lean more and more to charlies tubes. Just find them easier to use they go out the barrel never had one hang in the chamber.
No I will never stop rolling my own I have enough perm and tracing paper to last a nother 10 years. But if i need rounds in a hurry or for practice charleis tubes can't be beat
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
boge

Post by boge »

I'm going to try some of Charlie Hahn's tubes as well as they seem to be the rage for people rolling their own.