Pedersoli Model 1859 & Shiloh Model 1863

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

loophole wrote:I bought an Armi Sport '63 rifle a couple of years ago, but didn't get serious about shooting it until a few weeks ago. Of course, it isn't a Shiloh--if I had the money there is no doubt that's the rifle I'd have. However, it is a good choice for someone with a limited budget and a need for instant gratification.
I tried coating the working parts of the breech block with anti-seize compound from Advance Auto--shot it about 30 rounds the other day, squirting a little hoppes black powder solvent on the front of the bolck every 6 or 7 rounds, with no problems opening or closing the breech.
With a bullet breech seated in the rifling, the breech holds 100 gr of FFg, which probably is too much for great accuracy with most bullets, and which makes recoil and fouling real factors.
Corn meal as a filler may be a good idea, but it is a pain to measure and load the stuff in the chamber before pouring in the powder. Paper cartridges may be the answer for reduced loads.
I'm not satisfied with the accuracy I've gotten so far--about 2'' at fifty yds off a bench with the Christmas tree bullet from Buffalo. HOwever, that bullet is about .003" under groove dia at the base. I've just gotten an NEI mold which throws a bullet .002 over grove dia. and I'm going to put a tang sight on the rifle.
w/ the NEI try 42-46 2FFG Swiss powder that worked for me w/ NEI # 383
Swiss is the cleanest stuff out their. ( I also use grits for filler found it also helps to keep the barrel fouling down).
quickist alternitive to rolling your own is charlie"s tubes. they allow the bullet to seat the same every time.
I still roll my own and always will, but found w/ charlies tubes that my groups are a little better. SO I use charlies tubes for individul events and my own for team events.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
loophole

Post by loophole »

Thanks, I'll try the tubes.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.