Armi Sport 1863 Sharps .54 Paper Cart Carbine

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Smokin Gun

Armi Sport 1863 Sharps .54 Paper Cart Carbine

Post by Smokin Gun »

Been readin' your forums and jus' got let in the front door.
I have the Armi Sport Sharps .54 paper 1 in 22" twist Cav carbine. Went to my local Guns Shop for 2 lbs. a powder,some caps,and a couple other things and it cost me $600 bucks.
I had to have it.
Now,after tryin' some boolits .540" Maxi's that dropped thu the barrel from the chamber, I need to know what best will work in this Sharps.
I have made nitrated paper usin' phonebook pages which came out real good.
I have contacted Steve at Brooks Molds and he suggested the Christmas tree boolit at least 535gr...3 week delivery and $150 + Seco handles from Midway.
Tryin' to find out from Rapine but still don't know what diameter to ask for. Inner bbl. dims. I have taken are .545" x .528" (dial calipers)
What do I need to know to get a proper mold for my Sharps?

Thanks in advance,

SG
Last edited by Smokin Gun on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
1stregtengr

Sharps bullet

Post by 1stregtengr »

The 54 cal Rapine ringtail mold which casts a little bigger than .547 will work well. I size mine down to .545 for my Shiloh. should be able to find one on the NSSA board for about 60-70 $ bullet weight will be around 485 gr.
Smokin Gun

Post by Smokin Gun »

Thanks 1stregtengr, that's exactly what I wanted to know. And look forward to any and all postings on this Sharps.

Been tryin' to find the NSSA Board keep commin' up with things other than pertainent to this topic.
I got it thank you... http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/

thank you,

SG
boge

Post by boge »

1stregtengr, where'd you get a sizing die of that dimension?
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

In the FWIW category, I shoot the 475gr. ringtail bullet from Buffalo Arms
in my Pedersoli 1859 Infantry rifle and it shoots really well.[url]http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4942.html

My groove diameter is .544", this bullet is a tad larger than the advertised .542". You might try a box of them before spending a lot of money on another mould.

[/url]
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I use steve Brooks bullet. now had him open the grease grove a little and modify the base to fit charlie tubes. not sure the weight off hand but think its about 390 w/ pure lead.
use it in both my armi sport and shilo. the armi sport likes 39 grn 2ffg
while the shilo like 44 of 2ffg. and 46 of 3fffg. SWISS.
my armi sport has a short chamber will will not hold more than 40 gr of 2ffg.
I have also used nei mold # 381 and 383. The 381 is close to the original confererate sharps bullet. but the base has to big of a dia. to use w/ charlies tubes. also it can be little unstable at 100yrds. bullet is short and light about 340grn.
have also used the bagdon bullet but it is a little fussie due to the wadcutter design. needs to make sure you seat it sq. and can also make it a little slow loading for team events. But it dose leave a nice round hole you can see on 100yrd paper targets.
ON another note my armi sport barrel was way over sized. something like 460. So I had it relined. plus the breach block locked up real quick from fouling had the block modified simular to what charlie is offering. and the chamer sleeve redone to 2 pc w/ the o-ring.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
1stregtengr

sizing die

Post by 1stregtengr »

boge,
die came from north east trade, here is a link http://www.northeasttradeco.com/ It screws into a reloading press and has a ram machined to fit, almost any size is available
boge

Post by boge »

Thanks, I know "Printer". He's a good fella, having bought MCM Lube from him in the past. I'll call him. Thanks. :wink: