Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
klw

Post by klw »

So one of these days after years of debate I'm going to order a Shiloh 1863. Two questions. First, what would be a good cast bullet for the gun? Second, it will either be the military or sporting rifle. Any reason to choose one over the other?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I shoot in the NSSA. and I'm only interest in the military so I cant help you there. I alsoonly shot the 54 cal. As far as bullet I like the one Steve Brooks makes. Had him modify the flate base he makes to hold charlies tubes w/ a snug fit. I've also used his ringtail that worked wel also. Used NEI's 383 and 381. the both are good the 381 is a little light for over 100yrds. it weights about 340 or so. Did have a problem w/ quality control on the last mold I got from NEI Had to send it back twice to get it right.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
klw

Post by klw »

I've looked at Brooks web site several times but never ordered. If I knew all that much about a bullet I wanted to order I suppose his site would be fine but if you aren't all that well informed about every little detail his site just turns me off. I don't think that his web site serves him well!

What, specifically, did you have him do to the base for the tubes?
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

KLW

I own three Shiloh '63s - a .54 Sporter, a .50 Military Rifle and a .50 carbine. I like the sling option on the Military Rifle. Taken it hunting a few times, burt haven't downed any game with it - yet.

All are accurate, fun rifles. I use Charlie's tubes glued onto the base of .54 NEI ringtails in the Sporter for a load that doesn't rattle my teeth. The rifle shoots so well, it has MVA sights coming in the New Year.

My favourite is the Military Rifle in .50 using the Lyman 515141 sized .512. I use paper cartridges with 55 grs Goex cartridge or FFG but soon discovered that rolling a .54 calibre 60 gr Pyrodex pellet with a bullet gave 100% uniformity and good accuracy. Looks authentic and is, as there were such compressed BP rounds in use during the ACW. Couldn't use this in NSSA matches, however.

Since the bore size of originals varied from a nominal .50 to .54, the .50 is in the ball park. That's why the "Xmas Tree" bullet with three different diameters - a one size fits all proposition.

Also, having another Military Rifle in 50-70 means I'm casting bullets I can use for three rifles.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I took a measurement and also talked to charlie about his tubes and cofirmed the dim I had gotten then I called Steve and talked to him about what I was looking to do to his bullet. Afer that i sent steve a sketch.
I did have one of his 54 molds to work from. I did not have him change much on the new mold. Just the base Dia. and length of the base. which also allowed the grease grooves to be lenghtened without effecting overall length and weight of the bullet.
Just let Steve know you want it for a Shiloh 54.
also get a hold of Charlie Hahn and talk to him.
If you want a sample of the bullet send me an email w/ your address and I will send you a few.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
klw

Thanks!

Post by klw »

Got the sample bullets. Those were very interesting. Thanks!