'Blooded' the '63 Shiloh

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
'63 Shiloh

'Blooded' the '63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Helped a mate out on the weekend with a Kangaroo cull, I was using my Kimber .204 but took the Shiloh along.

After we had done most of the cull and almost filled the tags I decided to try the Shiloh out on a 'roo.

Load was a Charlie's Tube, 65gn Wano PPP and the original Sharps ringtail lubed with SPG. Caps I am using are CCI Musket 'extra power'.

Lined a roo up at about 70 metres and aimed for the neck, let fly and the roo dropped as it was struck by lightning. Moved in to have a look at what the .54 cal slug did, it was a clean through and through shot slightly higher than I had aimed. Needless to say there was a big bloody hole!
We could actually see daylight right through, you could have pushed a broomstick through and carry the roo to the truck, quite impressive.

Just have to wait for it to cool down and the rains to stop up North before I go for a few weeks hunting and fishing.

Mike
Nick Florio

Post by Nick Florio »

I too have used my Sharps for hunting. I killed and elk with mine five years ago with one shot at about 80 Yards. It was a quatering shot but the 475 gr slug from by IAB Carbine went clean through the chest and the elk droped after going about 15 yards.
Todd Birch

'63s on game

Post by Todd Birch »

OK - that does it!

You guys are breaking my heart with your '63 hunting stories.
I alternated last season, one day carrying my .50 '63 Military Rifle and the next it's twin in 50-70.

Bambi stepped out the day it was the 50-70. Looks like it's going to be a 100% '63 season this year if I'm going to make meat with one.

Question is which one ...... ? the .50 carbine, the military rifle or the .54 Sporter. If I get a moose draw tag, I think I'll opt for the .54 Sporter.

No matter, I rarely see game beyond 100 yards, so any of them will be up to the job.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

I hear ya Todd,

I cannot wait to take on some good game such as a big nasty boar or some big Bull Camel.

I have previously been a little doubtful about the hunting abilities of such rifles we are enjoying on this forum. I do own quite a few modern 'super, ultra, barrel destroying' centre fire rifles and was convinced that I needed them for humane hunting.

I have now come to the conclusion that some of my rifles were bought on advertising spiels alone :roll:

Kind of like fishing lures catching more fisherman than fish!

I would not feel undergunned with a 535gn slug behind a charge of 95gn BP at 50 metres, looking at a water Buff over the sights.

I got a plan Todd, mate; come on down here in our winter and I will show you some really good hunting and fishing, plus taste some really good beer. :!:

Mike
Todd Birch

'63 on game

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks for the invite, Cobber!

Don't know that it's in the cards to go down under, but I appreciate the offer. Don't drink anymore, but I remember Fosters fondly .....

I've taken several black bears with BPCRs, the largest being two over 400 lbs. That's hardly the stuff of record, but decent bears, all the same.
I used a 50-70 but I feel a .54 ringtail would have been just as effective - maybe more so.

If you take a water buff with a '63, that'll be quite the trophy.

I've never understood the classic 'bugger is better' mindset of the magnum maniacs that plagues our American friends. Who else would think you need 1 1/8 oz. of shot to break a clay bird?

I only own standard calibre rifles, be they BP or modern scoped rifles. I like to shoot often, and a range session with a magnoon is not my idea of a good time.

Recently watched a movie with Kiefer Sutherland about the Maori wars. A Kiwi mate (fellow Victorain military re-enactor) and his chums were the soldiers and did a fine job.
I liked the Terry carbine Sutherland was using and the way he held a second shot in his teeth for a quick second shot.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
FFG

Re: 'Blooded' the '63 Shiloh

Post by FFG »

'63 Shiloh wrote:Helped a mate out on the weekend with a Kangaroo cull, I was using my Kimber .204 but took the Shiloh along.

After we had done most of the cull and almost filled the tags I decided to try the Shiloh out on a 'roo.

Load was a Charlie's Tube, 65gn Wano PPP and the original Sharps ringtail lubed with SPG. Caps I am using are CCI Musket 'extra power'.

Lined a roo up at about 70 metres and aimed for the neck, let fly and the roo dropped as it was struck by lightning. Moved in to have a look at what the .54 cal slug did, it was a clean through and through shot slightly higher than I had aimed. Needless to say there was a big bloody hole!
We could actually see daylight right through, you could have pushed a broomstick through and carry the roo to the truck, quite impressive.

Just have to wait for it to cool down and the rains to stop up North before I go for a few weeks hunting and fishing.

Mike

What a great story!