Shiloh '63 VS original

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
1stregtengr

Shiloh '63 VS original

Post by 1stregtengr »

I purchased a original '63 that had been converted to 50/70, then converted to a line throwing gun with a short barrel. It came with a complete percussion barrel with forearm and band, the stock/action is in outstanding condition. Being a NSSA shooter I thought I would convert it back to percussion to shoot. It did not come with the percussion breechblock, but I thought Shiloh always says that their rifles are the same as the originals. After fitting the percussion barrel I took the breechblock and lever off my '63 Shiloh carbine and just as stated a perfect fit. Until I find a percussion breechblock at a fair price, I'll use the Shiloh breech in both rifles.

Going to get Bobby Hoyt to streech the line throwing barrel out to rifle length, then I'll have a 50/70 rifle as well just by changing the barrel and using the origional 50/70 breechblock.
boge

Post by boge »

How on earth do you "stretch" a rifle barrel?
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

Mr Hoyt will most likely thread the back half just in front of the original serial number and screw on a new barrel section, then put in a liner. His work is beyond belief in quality

I shoot two of his barrels in my muskets and he relined my Smith carbine as well
boge

Post by boge »

1stregtengr wrote:...His work is beyond belief in quality...
Say some, others no. :wink:
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

If I recall correctly, when the percussion guns were converted to cartridge, the hammer nose was ground down to match the position of the firing pin. They may have been bent in a little too, but I don't recall now :? Take a look at photos of percussion and converted carbines. I think you'll see the difference in hammers. If you plan to switch back to percussion, you'll need a percussion hammer also.

Also, wasn't the receiver milled out for the extractor? Not sure if this would affect swapping back to percussion or not :?:

Years ago I had one of those cartridge conversions (a rare navy model), it shot great but kicked like a mule. I sold it for $500, but that was 15+ years ago when nobody wanted them. Wish I still had it now..... :(
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
1stregtengr

Post by 1stregtengr »

NDNCHF, you are correct I need a different hammer to shoot percussion correctly the present hammer will fire a cap but without the flash shield it would be dangerous, I have a hammer located, the extractor cut will not affect the conversion back to percussion. purchased this mainly because the rec and stock was in mint condition and the price was real good, expecially with the second correct '63 barrel, band and handguard that the previous owner purchased from lodgewood.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Sounds like you'll have a good dual purpose rifle, pretty cool. BTW - where is Copper Hill?
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Copper Hill is on Hwy 221 about 22 miles South or Roanoke.
Lee Stone