First Shiloh 63

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
emito condito

First Shiloh 63

Post by emito condito »

Hello...First Post
I recently acquired a Shiloh Farmingdale 63 in 50 caliber. It has a serial number in the 2300 range. I have a question about paper cartridges. My rifle has a chamber of approx .625 diameter and approx 1.300 deep. The groove is .510 and the free bore is about .900 long. Using BPCR logic I would want to engrave the rifling and be 1-2 thousands over groove diamter. How do I seat a .512 (lyman 515141) bullet with .006 of paper wrap into the free bore of .510 to enage the rifling? If I use a ringtail bullet or a C. Hahn tube, I will still need to use a bit of force to send that .512 bullet with a paper wrap or C. Hahn tube to the rifling. Do I use a smaller diameter bullet .504 or so and hope it bumps up on ignition? Maybe I should just seat the bullet to the mouth of the free bore but the the bullet sits out into the chamber. I have tried the loose powder method... kind of messy. I'm thinking of seating the .512 bullet and making canister tubes of paper to place behind the seated bullet. Has anyone tried the RCBS North South Skirmish 50 caliber bullet? I have read it casts about .502. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

If you are going to buy a new mold, look at Rapines ringtail, Christmas tree bullet. The first bands on the bullet are less then the diameter of the rifling so when you push the bullet into the chamber, the bullet centers itself. The paper "cartridge" is glued to the ringtail.

Rich
Todd Birch

.50 bullet mould

Post by Todd Birch »

Emito Condito

Two of my '63s are .50s and both Farmingdales; a Military Rifle and a carbine. My chamber dimensions are like yours.
In my opinion, you are better off with a .50 than a .54 - less powder, no need for fillers, less recoil, etc. The guys with the .54s are not likely to ever utilize the full chamber capacity. My .54 Shiloh '63 Sporter holds 100+- grs BP! Ouch .....

I'm using the Lyman 515141 sized .512, the same bullet I use in my Shiloh 50-70. It's a flat based bullet with a nominal weight of 425 grs. depending on alloy. Lube is SPG.
I started out with the same bullet design in a Lee mould, but the sprue plate on the Lee didn't clear the base on opening and left drag marks.

I roll paper tubes out of a heavy onion skin, but I've used printer paper just as successfully. We make too much out of what paper we use. Don't bother with nitrating. I've tried it and it isn't worth the extra work.

There were original rounds that were rolled from newsprint and that would work today. Cheap like borscht as well.

I place the tubes in a 20 gauge loading block and charge them with 50-52 grs FFg (55 if I compress a little), seat a sized/lubed bullet in the tube (base plugged with a glued in square of paper towel) and form the paper around the bullet, pressing it into the lube for a seal.
Reasonably robust and no problems with ignition or residue in the barrel. If there is a bit of paper, a puff will usually clear it. If it's ahead of the chamber, I ignore it.

I also roll a sized/lubed bullet with a .54 calibre 60 gr Pyrodex pellet for a convenient and authentic looking round. This handles well and would be a good choice for hunting.

I don't have problems seating either in the chamber with the paper wrap to cover all grease grooves. Once the chamber gets fouled, I use a short starter to seat the round just enough to clear the sheer plate. This just bumps up the powder tube into the full chamber size.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"