Still waiting to make my first shot

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Dudley Do Right

Still waiting to make my first shot

Post by Dudley Do Right »

Hello from another new 63 owner: My weapon is 54 cal carbine shiloh sharps (Farmingdale). I have not shot anything within the last twenty five years and never any black powder, so you know my experience level now. I have been reading the forum for the last month trying to learn what to do, talked with Todd once (Great Guy) and he suggested Charlie Hahn tubes, My question is while I'm waiting on my mold to come from Brooks can I order Charlie tubes or do I have to have the chamber measurment to have the tubes made. Still waiting to make my first shot. 8)
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Welcome to the fire. Your gonna love shooting that Shiloh :D

To get the proper measurements for Charlie's tubes you really need to have a bullet. You put a bullet in the chamber and press it up to the rifling. Then measure the distance from the back of the bullet to the chamber mouth. Best thing is to give Charlie a call. He's a real nice fellow and glad to explain everything.
Never trust a man who wears both suspenders AND a belt.
Dudley Do Right

BP is like owning your first horse

Thanks ndnchf for the answere to my question. like your first horse, the rifle is just the start of hobby, saddle, girth, halter, bridle now its molds, lead, tubes, melting pots alot to learn, I guss thats the fun of it. tomorrow is my first gun show in a long time so its leaning time again. :? :?
snapcap14

brooks mold

Post by snapcap14 »

?? ?? Which of his molds did you order??
he shows 2 on line but he has custom made 1 for me and 1 or 2 for Charlie for the .54 cal mine is designed to take Charlie’s tubes w/ a snug fit no ringtail looks more like a gas check bullet. Doing that also allowed him to open the grease groove a little. The bullet weighs in about 496. W/ pure lead

Good luck and welcome to the 63 club.

PS I know it only takes a week of 2 to get the mold but if you can't wait give me an address and i will send you a few of my bullets and a few of charlies tubes. Just so you can shoot it.
If you use 3fffg swiss mine likes 44gr
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Dudley Do Right

Thanks for the offer Snapcap14, My order went out Feb 11 for my mold, it should not take too much longer. I ordered the ringtail with the vented spruce plate, don't no if it will help in my bullet making, but if I start with good product I hope to end with one. Back from the Gun show in Puyallup Wa, too many people not enough Black Powder stuff, finding lead is now my next venture.