Cleaning rods

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Todd Birch

Cleaning rods

Post by Todd Birch »

Here's one for the historians amongst us .....

Since the '59 and '63 Military Rifles did not have a rod under the barrel nor a compartment in the stock for a jointed rod, how did the troops clean and service their rifles?

Anyone found a reference to this very practical soldierly problem?

I suppose a support wagon could have carried some .54 Rifle Musket cleaning rods, but the troops often operated independent of such support for considerable lengths of time.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
boge

Post by boge »

They used a pull through thong with a brush attached on one end.
dm3280

Post by dm3280 »

I recall back in the 70's Dixie Gunworks sold original ones and I believe they advertised them as for the Sharps or Spencer
Todd Birch

Pull Throughs

Post by Todd Birch »

Duh ..... , I knew that! Of course; what else could they have done.

Right up to my era (the FN C1A 7.62mm FAL) we were issued pull throughs.
They were a pain in the butt as one end was for the gas tube and we were forever getting it jammed in the breech which meant a trip to the base armourer.

The Army was getting away from them when the .303 SMLE was issue as they were causing uneven bore wear on the crown, but the FN had a flash hider that took the punishment.

I've watched guys ripping 'Bore Snakes' through their rifles at the range and I cringe. I take my antique cleaning rods c/w bore guides and muzzle protectors.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"