Reduced charge in .54 1863. Would this work?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
MissedAgain

Reduced charge in .54 1863. Would this work?

Post by MissedAgain »

I have been looking at Shiloh 1863 .54 carbine. I would imagine that the recoil would be pretty stiff with a full charge of BP. I saw these Pedersoli cartridges and thought that I could make something like this that would hold less powder. (Thicker walls) I could even recess the open end to hold the bullet. Would this work?

MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

I should have done some reading before posting my question. I see that there are several questions regarding the brass tubes, but reading through the threads left me a bit confused about one thing. What is the powder capacity of the .54 caliber 1863 chamber? I have seen references to anywhere from less then 50 to 125 grains. What is it?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I use charlies tube w/ 42 gr 2ffg swiss and grits for filler or 44 of 3fffg swiss w/ a Steve Brooks mold that for me. Don't know how to add photos or i would
ped brass tubes onlt work in their gun that has a modified gas check from what i remember
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

My Shiloh carbine was made in the 1990s. A paper cartridge glued to a 490 grain Rapine ringtail bullet holds 50 grains of FFG black powder. This exactly fits into the chamber.

Shiloh 1863 military rifles have a longer chamber and hold more powder.

Rich
1stregtengr

reduced load

Post by 1stregtengr »

either use charlie's tubes or roll your own, and use a filler such as corm meal, pufflon etc to make up the difference. An accurate load can be found between 40-50 grains, which will not be too bad to shoot
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

I have a 1859 Ped. and a 1863 Farmer, neither of which those brass shells fit into. I don't think you need to use a filler in these rifles, thats as per Kirk last time I asked. Unless it's an accuracy application.

Ken
mtnwinds

Post by mtnwinds »

I shoot a Pedersoli 1863 sporting rifle. I roll my own using hair curler paper and 60 grains of 1.5 Swiss. I think my chamber will hold more powder, especially if I just poured it in. If you want to measure your chamber volume, just seat a bullet, fill the chamber with powder, pour it out and measure it. I think different manufacturers as well as different years of production may have different volumes.
Todd Birch

powder capacity

Post by Todd Birch »

Missed Again

My .54 Shiloh Sporter holds close to 100 grs of powder; much more than I want to shoot more than a few times. I'd like it better if it was in .50.

My .50 carbine and Military Rifle hold a more comfortable 60 grs; less with a rolled cartridge, which is how I shoot them. I'm glad they aren't in .54.
I can shoot them indefinitely without recoil being a factor.

Original paper Sharps were made in a variety of bore sizes. Check Seller's book and other cartridge references.

A pal has a Farmingdale carbine in .45 calibre. Seems 'whippy' to me as it has a smaller barrel contour.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"