I have heard the first 'grunts and roars!!'

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
'63 Shiloh

I have heard the first 'grunts and roars!!'

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Its that time of year!!

Well, here in Australia anyway, had the first cold snap a few days ago where I live.

That means the Deer are on :lol:

Hoping to shoot some for the freezer, I have got my Deer load sorted for the Shiloh .54.

Using the Ped design slug, weighing in a 535gn and using Charlie's tube with a stiff load of 80gn of Wano PPP. Lube is SPG and I am having good results with CCI's 'extra power' caps.

I am excited :D

Mike
stuffy25thia

Post by stuffy25thia »

Good luck, happy hunting!!!!
Todd Birch

Waidman's Heil!

Post by Todd Birch »

Mike

Good hunting! Haven't seen any to date, but it's early. No spring grass out as yet.

Bear season is on here. I'll be packing a '63 at times, and my 50-70 as well.
Just in the process of acquiring a 4" S&W M29 .44 mag. It'll be along as well. I'm getting tired of smacking bears on the head with clubs.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Well keep us updated with the 50/70 Todd.

Our bloody politicians have banned handgun hunting, its very hard to get a handgun lic for any cal over .38 and no more than 10 round cap mags.

Bear hunting sounds like a whole lot of fun Todd, I reckon the .44mag will be some good insurance mate.

Mike
boge

Post by boge »

I would only hunt in Australia wearing a suit of armor after seeing all those venomous snakes on Animal Planet!! Funnel Web spiders, man eating saltwater crocs!! :shock: :lol: :wink:
Todd Birch

Handguns in the bush

Post by Todd Birch »

Mike

Hand gun hunting is banned here as well. I don't want to count the number of people I know that regard this as idiotic and discreetly carry, not so much for hunting, but as back up security.
You don't always have a rifle or a good club at hand when you need it. Ask me how I know ....

Boge

Crocs gotta eat too, ya know! So they take the occasional fat assed tourist who shouldn't have been there in the first place. Call it improving the gene pool.

By the way, I watched that embarrassment of a film with Hugh Jackman - "Australia". It's a compilation of John Wayne's "The Cowboys", Pearl Harbour", "Quigley Downunder", "Crocodile Dundee" and a few other cliche movies.
When I rented it, I noticed Jackman on the cover striding manfully with a Winchester '95 and commented that those were the good ol' days in Oz as they were now more gun paranoid than we were. The female clerk remarked "Thank God!".
That was a mistake and she got my 5 minute lecture on "gun control". I ended by telling her that I'd happily give her a "This home is a gun-free zone" sign for her house. She said she had two large dogs and I made the motions of a pump action shotgun saying "Bang-Bang! Still feel safe?".

I'll bet she still remembers that conversation ......
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

Hey Mike,

I have the Ped. slug also, I noticed it has a larger diameter on the ring tail and was wondering what size tubes your using from Charlie ? By the way good luck hunting and let us know how you make out.

Thanks

Ken
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Hey Ken,

I did need to 'flare' the tubes mouth somewhat with the Ped slug in Charlie's Tubes.

I used a .50 BMG projectile and pushed it in the tube until resistance is felt, I then rotate the projectile around to form a 'flare', this allows you to glue the slug in place.

Hope this helps mate.

Mike