New 1863 owner

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
elee

New 1863 owner

Post by elee »

Hi all; I just bit the bullet and bought my first 1863. It is a Shiloh, mfg. in 2003, .54 cal carbine, with artillery sling swivels and double set triggers, new, unfired, in the box. Most of you probably saw the listing on Guns America. Price was $1475.00. I know..I probably paid too much! But it is basically new, and I wanted the swivels and DST. Now comes the learning process. Anyone want to sell some bullets before I order a Brooks mold? I would like to try a few different types before I settle on one mold. Any advice, tips, warnings you can supply would be appreciated! Being a new unfired gun, should I worry about the gas sealing modification? This is Shiloh #2 for me, as I also have a model 1874 Montana RR 34" in 45-110. Lots of shootig experience, lots of black powder experience, but zero experience with an 1863 carbine! Just couldn't resist making it a pair. Will post when I receive it...I can hardly wait...
Thanks
ELee
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

PM me w/ your address and email address and I will get you some of the Brooks bullets. my base is a little diffrent than the std one. I had Steve modify it to fit charlie hahn's tubes. but it can also be used w/ roll your own. it will drive tacks at 100yrds. wel maybe not exactly a tack. but a 2" group 5 shots off the bench.
I would not be concerned about the gas check for now.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Todd Birch

New '63

Post by Todd Birch »

elee

Welcome to the REAL Sharps world - at least the original. Those brass cartridge guns are just a passing fad.

Before doing any drastic mods, try filling the breechblock cavity with a lithium grease, as much as it will hold and allow the shear plate to be installed. This will allow quite a few rounds to be fired before any binding
issues happen.

Don't be lazy on the cleaning either; remove the flash hole clean out screw every time.

Your carbine should eat any projectile you feed it. My 63' have to be among my favourite fun rifles.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

I would volunteer to send you some bullets also but my moulds drop small bullets for some unknown reason ( .535 ) They don't fit my Farmer 1863 so I will probably have to get a mould made. They do however fit my Ped 1859 very well and it is a tack driver out to 125 yds.

Ken