Finally shot my 1863

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
MissedAgain

Finally shot my 1863

Post by MissedAgain »

I finally got all my stuff together and was able to try out my Shiloh 1863 carbine. I cobbled together 30 rounds in Charlie's tubes. The load is 45 grs. of Swiss 1 1/2 and a 475 gr. ringtail bullet that I bought from Midway. :shock:

I touched off the first round at 25 yards. Hey! This is OK! :D Recoil is mild and I actually hit the paper. I was using the ladder sight at it's lowest setting and the bullet hit about 12" high. I tried 2 more and they were all in about 2". I moved the target out to 75 yards and fired 3 more. I have no idea where they went. I moved up to 35 yards and fired 10 rounds offhand using the battle sight. Those were all in the black. The pattern was about 8". I call it a pattern because it looked like a shot gun pattern. This was out in the boondocks and about the best I can do offhand with any rifle these days. Next time, I'll take it to the range and shoot it from a bench rest to see what it will really do.

I tried a few rounds with a bullet seated and the chamber filled with loose powder. Recoil was a lot stiffer. You can see the results at the top of the target.

I did not do any mods to the breach block. I had some Mobile 1 high pressure grease in my garage. I put a few dabs in the cavity and smeared some on the sliding surfaces. I shot all 30 rounds plus a few with loose powder and had no problems. The action felt a bit gritty after 20 rounds, but was nowhere near locking up. The only thing I noticed was that once in a while I had trouble seating the cartridge all the way. Next time I'll bring a chamber brush with me.

I only found 1 tube. A charred piece fell out of the bore.

'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Good one mate!

I am sure you will be posting 2" groups at 100 yards in no time at all, once you get a good bullet/powder/lube combination together.

I noticed that one of the 'holes' in the highest part of the black on the target is 'rectangular'? Was this a tumbling bullet or just the way two bullets tore through the paper?

I too have a Shiloh 1863, a Sporter, like yourself I have had no major problems with gas sealing and block 'freezing'.

As Todd did mention, the liberal application of high pressure grease really helps with fouling problems.

I am an ex-Australian Army Infantryman and was able to 'liberate' a few SAW gas chamber brushes. If you can get one, they are just right for giving the chamber a quick brush as required.

Congratulations mate and good shooting!

Mike
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

a good start. :D
I would try 44 off 3fffg swiss that is a load that mine likes. it also likes 42 of 2ffg.
glad to see your block is working well. I also use a bore brush after 15 rounds or so.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

"I noticed that one of the 'holes' in the highest part of the black on the target is 'rectangular'? Was this a tumbling bullet or just the way two bullets tore through the paper?"

The paper is just torn. You can almost see the round hole at the bottom of the tear. The large hole in the 10 ring has at least 3 bullets through it. Look at the bottom.

I'm going to have to open up the "battle sight" notch a bit. My old eyes can barely see it. I had cataract surgery on both eyes and I use weak reading glasses to shoot with iron sights.

snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I had a L peep sight made for mine that slides over the ladder. laying down it gives me 50 yrd flip the ladder up it gives me 100. works great for my eys. another way to do the peep is go to S & S firearmes they have blank slide leaf that will fit the ladder in place of the v notch one.
drill a hole where you need it.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

It's possible that it tumbled, these rifles have to be cleaned to get the best accuracy. I wish I knew what makes my Pedersoli 1859 so accurate, I would even send it to Shiloh so they might be able to figure it out. At 100 yds. it is very common to hit the 10 ring most of the time. I use loose clean shot powder with a Lyman mini. Out to 125 yds. it is one of my most accurate rifles.

Ken