some questions

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
loophole

some questions

Post by loophole »

What's the best way to lube a "Christmes tree" bullet?

What glue is best for paper cartridges?

If I close the breech end of a Charlie Hahn tube with a cigarette paper
disc, will the flash from the primer cut through the paper and ignite the powder?

Instead of cornmeal or some other filler in front of the powder, had anyone tried a 20 or 28 ga. over powder wad for a ML shotgun? the soft fibre kind sold by Track of the Wolf?

All ideas appreciated.

Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

From my limited experience.....

I have tried various types of paper on the back of Charlie's tubes. It seems that almost anything will work. I am now using some tissue wrapping paper. It is stronger then cigarette paper or lens cleaning paper. I tested it by firing a cap through it with no powder charge. I got about a foot of flame out the muzzle. :shock: I even tried some 20# bond. The flame from the cap blew right through it.

I use plain white glue. I tried one of those purple glue sticks, but it didn't stick to the tube.

My tubes hold 50 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 with just enough room to seat a ringtail bullet. I glue a .45 vegetable fiber wad over the powder. I haven't bothered to glue the bullet to the tube. I just drop the bullet into the chamber and push the tube in behind it. The tube seats the bullet. It has worked well for me.
loophole

Post by loophole »

Thanks,
I have a bunch of tubes made up like you outlined. I'm going to test these, along with some paper cartridges, as soon as I can get to the range.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I make my own tubes by rolling nitrated copier paper around a dowl an glue with kid's white glue. Then glue the tube to the base of my bullet and glue hair curler paper to the end after the powder is put in. Never a missfire problem. I shoot a '63 Shiloh carbine, 54 caliber with a 490 grain Rapine ringtail, Christmas tree bullet and 50 grains of FFG GOEX.

I had owned a '63 rifle that had a longer chamber and required more powder. I never shot it much but if you are worried about recoil, use FG powder. I've never used a filler.

I just bought a Shiloh Robinson carbine, 54 caliber, and have just shot 20 rounds through it. It's chamber is short, about 1/4" shorter then the '63 carbine. The breech cuts the excess powder off and I just turned the gun on it's side to dump the excess powder but I will make shorter cartridges and try FFFG powder.

Rich
HvyMtl

Post by HvyMtl »

I just drop the bullet in followed by the powder ( clean shot BP substitute ) burns clean and is easy to clean up. I use a steamer to clean everything, I no longer bother to remove the srews on the block as the steamer cleans everything out and the screws maintain their anti seize. I use a Lyman mini for the 1859 Ped., and don't have a realy good fitting bullet for the 1863 Shiloh as yet. It seems to have a large openning.

Ken
Charlie Hahn

Post by Charlie Hahn »

Hi Steve,

The recommended glue for the closing paper is fingernail polish. As for paper most of the ones listed work. I use hair curler paper, as it stretches some if you compress the load.

As for filler or no filler, you can try the following.

Corn meal mixed with some graphite powder. Or you can glue a card disc over the powder and use nothing. I use both. I am finding that the tube when being crushed serves the purpose of the filler, and is cleaner. The disc makes sure the powder stays aft and flush with the fire tube.

If you will send me a message, I will forward technical data and sketches that should help

Charlie Hahn
etb9601@aol.com
Charlie Hahn