59 loaing question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
warren t upp

59 loaing question

Post by warren t upp »

evenin! my first post here after reading everything i could on the shiloh forum. you guy's have an incredible knowledge base and i enjoy reading your posts. here's my question, i have a 59 ped in .45 cal i love shootin. i want to start using some bullets with more lube on them and want to know if it is possible to avoid the lube migration into the cartridge by loading the bullet alone and then putting a paper cartridge of powder in behind it like the navy did with the big 16" guns on the battlewagons? has anyone done this, is there any obvious reasons not to? any response is appreciated, i am new so ya won't hurt my feelins with the truth, thanx.......WTU
proud to be an American-American!
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

I am also new at this, but I think I can answer your question.

You can do that. No problem. I use Charlie Han's tubes. I load them with 50 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 and glue a .45 .060" Walter's wad on top. That leaves enough room for the base of the ring tail bullet. I drop the bullet into the chamber and push the tube in behind it. You can also just seat the bullet and pour loose powder into the chamber.

Some might ask why I use Swiss 1 1/2 and a .060" wad. Simple. That's what I have. :wink:
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Hey Warren, good to see another enthusiast!

Yes mate, you can load up just like an artillery piece; using a 'charge bag.'

I have a Shiloh 1863 in .54.

Using flat base Ped mould that drops a 535gn pure lead bullet, I simply short start it in the chamber.

I have Charlie's Tubes and I use a 2.00" one with 70gn of FFFg and just glue on two circles of bond paper on each end.

Just drop the charge behind the bullet and fire away 8)

Mike
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Warren,

I also have a 54 cal. Shiloh and I use a Rapine ring tail bullet that I glue a nitrated paper tube onto. After filling with powder and placing a piece of paper over the end of the paper tube, I dip the lead bullet into melted lube. I've never had a problem with the lube getting into the paper cartridge.

Rich