Tried Charlie's tubes today

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
emito condito

Tried Charlie's tubes today

Post by emito condito »

Thought I would post my results with my Shiloh Farmingdale Ser #2309 .50 cal carbine. I used Charlie Hahn's carboard 1 1/2 "tubes. (Just received Saturday). The method and results are as follows:

-Hahn's 1 1/2" cardboard tube
-Lyman 575141 50 cal bullet, 425 grain ( not weighed) 30-1 lead mix
-Lubrisized SPG and sized to .510
-One end of the tube attached 1/2" vegetable wad with white glue. Filled with FFFG Goex approx 60 grains volume measurement. When weighed on a scale the load weighed 62.98 grains. No compression. A 1/2" newspaper print was attached to the other end to finish.
-At the range the bullet was seated. The charged tube was slid in behind, newsprint towards the rear. About 3/16" of space left to the breech face. CCI cap used
-Chronographed at 985 fps (avg) 7 shots, accuracy very good.

I only shot at 50 yards and I have a terrible time with the sights. I need to hold about 10" low to put it in the center, which doesn't help, but I was very pleased with the results.
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

Good day with your Shiloh mate.

I use Charlie's Tubes too in my .54, with very good results. I am thinking of ways to make a waterproof 'tube holder'; one made of plastic or similar that will hold a tube.

I have used successfully, a tube filled with powder and both ends sealed with a circle of paper and glued with nail polish. I simply short start the bullet and insert the tube behind then close the block.

For hunting, I am looking at a few ways to use this method and keep my powder dry. I have a piece of poly pipe that holds 8 535gn .54 cal bullets that are removed by screwing off one end of the cap and just tipping a bullet into the chamber. I am looking at ways to carry my pre filled tubes in a way that will keep them dry, in their own waterproof container.

One thing I have learnt, nitrated paper is not required! I have used many types of paper, up to 80gsm copier paper with no ignition problems. I do however, ensure that I shoot off a couple of caps to clear anything out of the ignition channel.

Keep us posted on your load development mate, looks like you are on track.

Cheers,

Mike
emito condito

Waterproof storage

Post by emito condito »

Hey 63,

I don't know if this will help, but a buddy of mine used to take a fired 12 gauge shell and a fired 16 gauge shell, trim the crimp off the ends. The 16 would slide neatly into the 12 and make a great little water tight storage for matches while camping. Might work on the tubes as well!
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

Emito:

Are you using the rear sight with the ladder up? I found that at the lowest setting I was also shooting about a foot high. Using the "battle sight", I was dead on at 50 yards.

You will need a higher front sight blade to lower the impact point. Unfortunately, fixing the front sight on carbines will require some machining.
emito condito

Front sight

Post by emito condito »

Missed,

No, Im using the sight folded down. I've talked to a local gunsmith about milling a slot in the front sight base so a new blade can be istalled by pinning. I guess the only other option would be cutting a dovetail and putting a sporting blade in.
'63 Shiloh

Post by '63 Shiloh »

What I have done with my front sight as an interim until I can get a new one cut and put in.....

Simply glue a bit of hacksaw blade to the right hand side of the existing sight, obviously have the hacksaw blade higher.

Then you are aware that a rear windage adjustment is needed to compensate for the 'new' sight.

When I have someone able to put a dovetail cut in, I will just put some petrol or similar on; to loosen the araldite holding the hacksaw blade sight.

Its easy and it works, I can now aim dead on at 50-100 with no problems. A little trial with your rear sight heights will give you a POA for 200,300 and on.

Cheers,

Mike
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

you can also use JB Weld on top of the existing sight.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
KL

Post by KL »

Or you could ask a jeweler or gunsmith to silver solder a small piece of tool steel of the same length and thickness along the top of the existing blade and file it down as needed. Jewelers use micro torches on very tiny parts all the time without damaging adjacent surfaces and/or areas.