Shot the 1863 today

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
elee

Shot the 1863 today

Post by elee »

Finally got a chance to shoot my new 1863 today. Bought off Gunsamerica...which is a long story. Seller took a month to get it to me after receiving payment. Claimed he couldn't decide if he was going to sell it, all the while sitting on my money! Grrrr. Finally got it, and the good news is it is brand new, perfect, unfired. 54 cal., Gorgeous wood, 22" barrel, artillery sling swivels, double set trigger. Sn is B857X, any ideas as to manufacture date? It took a little while to get all the stuff together; a mold from Steve Brooks (flat base), RWS caps, cleaning stuff, paper for cartridges. Cast the bullets 30/1, great mold! Used Roselle tracing paper with EZwider cigarette paper for the ends, filled with 65 grains GOEX FFg. Glued to bullet using sodium silicate. Works GREAT! Dip lubed in Matthew's #2 lube (8oz. beeswax, 4oz Murphy's Oil Soap, 4oz. neatsfoot oil). First few shots at the range were at 50yd., a little high. Moved the target out 100 yd. The target shown above is the first five shots off a sandbag at 100 yd, with no adjustment to the sights, 6 o'clock hold on the black. The group a bit less than 6.5". While it does not qualify as a varmint rifle, I was pretty pleased considering the military sights and my old eyes. Definately "minute of Moose", and I look forward to hunting with the rifle. Any tips on tightening the groups up..other than giving the gun to a youger shooter? What a fun gun to shoot! I put 50 rounds through it, wiping the bore every fifth round with black powder solvent. Absolutely no action stiffness or gas leakage, although I did use the anti-seize compound in the breech trick. I love the rifle, and it is beautiful in the gun rack next to my Montana RR in 45-110.
All the knowledge shared here certainly helped to make this a great experience. Thanks to all.
ELee
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

42 of 2ffg swiss w/ a BROOKS works for me. guys I know are using from 32 up to 52 w/ the a verify of bullet. you just need try diffrent loads to see what you need. i will be trying 3 fffg next weekend and let you know what works w/ the brooks mold. mine has a modified base to take charlie hans tubes.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

My carbine likes 50 grains of FFG GOEX with a Rapine 490 grain ringtail bullet. Paper cartridge made out of nitrated copier paper. I really don't think you need to nitrate the paper though. With the military sights and 3 1/2 lbs trigger pull, it will keep shots within 3" at 100 yards.

Rich
elee

Post by elee »

Interesting. Are you guys preferring lighter loads due to their accuracy, or due to the lighter recoil, or both? Do you shoot your '63's for reenactment purposes, or for hunting? I would think that such different applications would have very different load requirements. Where I will be hunting with this rifle, I would prefer a heavier load with good accuracy, but I am not out for tiny groups (although I would't complain if I got both!). The chamber in my rifle holds exactly 65 gr. of FFg when using a paper cartridge. In order to utilize a lesser charge of 50 gr., do you use filler to take up the extra space? I started with 65 gr. because that is all she will hold! Anyone have any experience with a .54 Sharps on Deer or Moose?
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

accuracy AND Rcoil. I use both paper and Charlie Hanns tubes. Paper for practice Charlies for comp. ( due to the tubes are not as fragile)I use grits as a filler others use cream of weat or corn meal. Some of are skirmishers in the N-SSA. not reenactors I get about 2 " groups at 100yrds. If hunting deer w/ it I would probable work up a heavier load for it but would want something that gives me the same grouping. or no more than 3". I know some states have a min load you can use for hunting w/ a BP muzzel loader don't if that would hold true w/ other black powder guns Ny is a min 65 grn charge if I remember right.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
1stregtengr

1863 Carbine

Post by 1stregtengr »

In my carbine I shoot the Raphine ringtail, Charlie Haun tubes, 50 gr swiss 1 1/2 and a CCI primer. I get 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100yds, it will shoot possibles from the bench, offhand, well that is another story. More or less powder opens up the group, I've tried Goex 2F, 3F, some old Elephant 3F and Swiss 3F even tried Goex Express (2F & 3F) and Cartridge, the Swiss 1 1/2 works the best in my Shiloh. Tube length is 1.25 I shoot with the bullet pushed foward into the rifling as far as hand pressure and the tube will allow. also the tube is full with the charge and there is no room for filler. I shoot competition at NSSA with it, but I feel the charge would work great on deer etc. For better accuracy I made a brass insert with a hole that fits between the sight slide so i can look through a peep, only draw back is you have to shoot with the sight up which might be a problem hunting in brush, instead of the down position. My old eyes see about three V's unless I use a Merit sight.
snapcap14

Re: 1863 Carbine

Post by snapcap14 »

1stregtengr wrote:In my carbine I shoot the Raphine ringtail, Charlie Haun tubes, 50 gr swiss 1 1/2 and a CCI primer. I get 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100yds, it will shoot possibles from the bench, offhand, well that is another story. More or less powder opens up the group, I've tried Goex 2F, 3F, some old Elephant 3F and Swiss 3F even tried Goex Express (2F & 3F) and Cartridge, the Swiss 1 1/2 works the best in my Shiloh. Tube length is 1.25 I shoot with the bullet pushed foward into the rifling as far as hand pressure and the tube will allow. also the tube is full with the charge and there is no room for filler. I shoot competition at NSSA with it, but I feel the charge would work great on deer etc. For better accuracy I made a brass insert with a hole that fits between the sight slide so i can look through a peep, only draw back is you have to shoot with the sight up which might be a problem hunting in brush, instead of the down position. My old eyes see about three V's unless I use a Merit sight.
I have a l shape slide w/ a peep in it I have a sample one i use for getting the whole location right the taking the measurement to transfer to a new one. I you are come to the vets catch up w/ me at the 14th Va camp sight I will bring it w/ me. It works great slide down for 50 yrd and the flip it up for 100 no adjusting the side.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I have been using a peep slide sight insert for my N-SSA matches but I think I'll go back to an open sight on the slide. I have developed a habit of jerking the trigger when the front blade is on the target with the peep sight.

Rich
Gen. Sherman's Bodyguard
Bill Goodman

Post by Bill Goodman »

From other serial numbers in my files that are near yours, I think your carbine was made in 2001.