Percussion caps..which do you prefer?

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Jon K

Percussion caps..which do you prefer?

Post by Jon K »

Percussion caps??? CCI/Win/Rem/RWS........
Which do you prefer? Pros & Cons.
Looking for input...........

Thanks,
Jon
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

CCi seam a little hotter to me On my non Shiloh sharps got better ing. w/ them.
I use the Rws wingless on my shiloh. they also seam to me to be hotter than the winged caps. the wind cap seam to want to jamb in block and some time the wings find there way up into the space behind the nipple at the hump in lock face foward.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I agree with Snapcap 14, I use the RWS wingless musket caps. They break apart and do not jam the block. It's an added bonus that they cost less then the top hat musket caps.

Rich
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

CCI, RWS, Rem in that order...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

FOR A SHARPS RWS WINGLESS, CCI then RWS top hat. in that order for ME. Never seen rem in a musket cap. pistol yes musket no. don't say they don't make them just I never seen them. :shock:
I also use Swiss powder. I pay what I need to pay to get what works.
My feeling is I got a $2000 Sharps plus other guns to shoot comp w/. Spend God know what to go to a shoot. why weary about a few dollers more on caps and powder to get what works the best for me.
I don't buy the cheapist booze out there I buy what I like. see it the same for shooting supplies
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

RWS wingless. Those are the only caps I have or have ever had. I figure that if I pop one without a load and they produce a foot or more of flame out the muzzle, that should get the job done.

Also, I bought a few 1000 at a very good price. :D
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Snapcap,

What do you use for a load with Swiss? I've been using 50 grains of FFG GOEX but always open to another load.

Rich
General Sherman's Bodyguard
N-SSA
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

42 2ffg swiss w/ Steve brooks bullet Customized flat base to fit charlies tubes snuglly. thinking about working a load w/ 3fffg. that is what i use in musket henry and pistol. When I started shoot a sharps others convinced me that 2ffg was the only way to go. Would like to use just 1 powder for all.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

snapcap14,

What's the specs on that Brooks bullet? i.e.- oal/od/bore rider/gg size & howmany grooves. got a pic?

Jon
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

I have no Idea how to add photos but try this
It is steves 63 sharps bullit w/ a modified base. and then 2 diffrent gas check modificationsImage
Image[/img]
Guess that works
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
Jon K

Post by Jon K »

snapcap14,

Thanks for the pics..........

Jon
Randall

Post by Randall »

snapcap14, could you post the contact info for Steve Brooks? I'd like to order one of the Sharps moulds that has been modified for Charlies tubes.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

http://www.brooksmoulds.com
or go to Shilohs home page and there is a link to him there.
I know Charlie Hann had a design done too by Steve.. not sure if any are the same as mine or not. I think Charlie had sent me his drawing. But my computer had crashed since my mold was made and I lost most of my files. So I do not have a copy of Charlies Dwg. I think I stayd w/ Steves design and had him modified the base and lenghtend the bottom grease grove.
I had talked to Steve on the phone and let him do the finel design as he though best. If you call steve he may have a file on it.
If after talking to Steve you my personal info to get the right one from him email me or PM me and I will give you what you need.
I can also send a sample of my bullet if need be.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA